A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:58:59 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pro Rape Politicians  (Read 18223 times)
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 12:47:45 pm »

Nope, keep trying.  You'll get it sooner or later.
It's like he is going out of his way to deliberately miss the point...

---Robert
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 12:47:55 pm »

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 03:37:57 pm »

Guido:

Pro-rape would mean necessarily in favor of raping.  While a person might be against stricter rape laws or a particular amendment, it is highly unlikely that a person is actually in favor of rape.  "Let's go rape some people!"  Even people against stronger rape laws don't like rape.

pro-abortion would mean necessarily in favor of abortion.  While a person might be against banning abortion or additional restrictions on abortion, very few people would classify themselves as being "in favor" of the procedure.  "Let's get pregnant so we can have abortions!"   Even people in favor of allowing abortions generally wish to see the procedure as a last resort.

He was poking fun at the use of verbage.  Same reason you call yourself "pro-life" instead of "anti-choice", which would be just as accurate of a term when framed by your opposition. 
- - -

I assume this will offend you, but it is not my intent.  But please be aware that since Obama has been elected you have begun making arguments along the same line as FOTD.  They are ideological and generally blind to reason.  I know you don't like Obama's policies and the way many things are swinging at the moment, but I also know you can rationally argue your points in a persuasive manner.

You've always been straight forward and confrontational, but until recently you made damn good points.  Now it seems petty and I'm not sure you are aware of it.  I'm really just trying to give you a heads up . . . not trying to be an donkey.

Sorry.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
buckeye
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 03:39:58 pm »

Ok, I'll bite.

So the assumption is that a fetus is a human life, taking human life is wrong, hence no abortion allowed.

Why the death penalty but not abortion?  The fetus has no choice, has done nothing wrong and is totally unaware of the decision making process wherein its fate is decided.  A murderer however, chose to commit his crime, was aware of the consequences and was presumably capable of understanding the proceedings.

We hold children and adults to different standards and expectations, it's an extension of that idea.

Sensible?  Debatable?  Eh?  Not total idiocy, anyway.
jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 08:55:17 pm »

I didn't get a picture, but I saw a car a few months ago with two bumper stickers:

I Vote Pro Life

and

I Support the Death Penalty
- - -

Prolifers usually make the distinction that abortion is the termination of innocent human life while the death penalty is is the termination of someone who is guilty and thus someone who deserves to have their life terminated. Nothing hypocritical about being prolife and being for the death penalty, they are two separate issues.

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 09:06:24 pm »

pro-abortion would mean necessarily in favor of abortion.  While a person might be against banning abortion or additional restrictions on abortion, very few people would classify themselves as being "in favor" of the procedure.  "Let's get pregnant so we can have abortions!"   Even people in favor of allowing abortions generally wish to see the procedure as a last resort.

Pro-abortion is the favoring or supporting legalized abortion. So the term pro-abortion/pro-abortionist is an accurate term to describe someone who supports legalized abortion..

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 09:34:36 pm »

Pro-abortion is the favoring or supporting legalized abortion. So the term pro-abortion/pro-abortionist is an accurate term to describe someone who supports legalized abortion..

Wrong.  Favoring the lawful choice that a woman currently has is called just that.  Pro-choice.

I wonder how long it will be before we see James on the evening news.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 04:10:32 pm »

Then someone against abortion is:   Anti-womens' rights. 

Absolutely a true statement.  Currently abortion is a right given to women in the United States.  Being anti-abortion then necessarily means you are against at least one right bestowed upon women.   Thus, a "pro-lifer" is accurately called "anti-womens' rights".   But the term has a larger connotation to it, so it isn't really accurate.

Same with "pro-abortion".  The connotation is that the person is in favor of the procedure and not just the underlying legal right.  The term does not accurately reflect the viewpoints of many, many people (a slim majority of Americans) who support the legal right of abortion but believe it to be the least favored option available.   The connotation of a term is important.

Of course you understand this.  But using terms with a strong negative connotation better serves your purpose.  That's why people against abortion are "pro-life" instead of "anti-abortion".   It may be semantics, but "just semantics" is a fallacious notion.  What you call something both matters in the debate and reflects your viewpoint (and bias). 

That's why we used to conquer "jungles" and now save "rain forests."  We used to drain "swamps" and now we "preserve wetlands".  There are no longer retarded people or idiots, we have various "challenged" and "special" groups (which have now become derogative terms in their own right).   

- - -

And I understand the rationale between pro-life and pro-death penalty . . . but it is still amusing.   Grin

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 09:26:44 pm »

... (which have now become derogative terms in their own right).   

Which is probably the ultimate fate of any politically correct term.  As it gets common usage, it acquires the same negative connotations as the original term.  Eventually, a lot of words become offensive to someone for a marginally good reason.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 09:52:38 pm »

Which is probably the ultimate fate of any politically correct term.  As it gets common usage, it acquires the same negative connotations as the original term.  Eventually, a lot of words become offensive to someone for a marginally good reason.
I find the use of connotation offensive
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 10:46:07 pm »

And I understand the rationale between pro-life and pro-death penalty . . . but it is still amusing.   Grin
I don't understand the rationale there at all. The state of Texas put an innocent man to death a few years back. Seems worse to me than abortion. At least with the latter there's a compelling "don't tell me what to do with my body" argument.

If it's a religious argument (which it seems to mainly be), it makes even less sense to be anti-choice and pro-death. Wink

BTW, binding arbitration is pretty evil when there's no recourse to the courts. Moreover, it's rather expensive in most cases.(Wireless carriers have had significant trouble enforcing binding arbitration clauses in their contracts for that reason)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 10:11:44 am »

I find the use of connotation offensive

I'll call that and raise you your use of offensive as offensive.   Grin

TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 11:30:23 am »

I cannot understand those that claim to be "pro life" can also support the death penalty. It's amusing though listening to righties strain to justify how these position are consistent.

How hard is it to understand that a small fetus inside a womans body has no choice what their mother makes? That fetus is in total control of whatever decision the mother makes for them, whether to give birth or abort. 

Whereas a person convicted of murder (and lets assume he truly is guilty) was in total control of his actions, knew what he/she was doing, knew it was wrong, yet went through with it anyways.  I say let them die, why not?  If someone brutally killed a family member of yours, would you want them to live in prison with the everyday comforts of life (books, magazines, tv and food) while your relative suffered tremendous pain and agony?  I know I certainly wouldnt.  Just my two cents, but I dont find it too hard to understand how someone can be both pro life and pro death penalty.  In fact, many many people I associate with are in fact just that, pro life and pro death penalty.  Whether that is right, wrong or indifferent doesnt matter.  It just isnt too hard to understand!

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 11:31:33 am »

I'll call that and raise you your use of offensive as offensive.   Grin

I am the offensive coordinator and find you both offensive.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 11:39:55 am »

Guido:

Pro-rape would mean necessarily in favor of raping.  While a person might be against stricter rape laws or a particular amendment, it is highly unlikely that a person is actually in favor of rape.  "Let's go rape some people!"  Even people against stronger rape laws don't like rape.

He was poking fun at the use of verbage.  Same reason you call yourself "pro-life" instead of "anti-choice", which would be just as accurate of a term when framed by your opposition. 
- - -

I assume this will offend you, but it is not my intent.  But please be aware that since Obama has been elected you have begun making arguments along the same line as FOTD.  They are ideological and generally blind to reason.  I know you don't like Obama's policies and the way many things are swinging at the moment, but I also know you can rationally argue your points in a persuasive manner.

You've always been straight forward and confrontational, but until recently you made damn good points.  Now it seems petty and I'm not sure you are aware of it.  I'm really just trying to give you a heads up . . . not trying to be an donkey.

Sorry.

Thank you for being you. I mean, whatever would the internets be without a a grand arbitrator of forum posting content.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org