A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:31:04 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrecking Crew collectively says "DOH" in Muskogee  (Read 3891 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: October 07, 2009, 03:50:38 pm »

Wrecking crew tears down wrong building

http://www.kjrh.com/content/news/2viewgc/story/Wrecking-crew-tears-down-wrong-building/ZUETpq9SU028EWxCwGZ-xA.cspx

Demolition began Tuesday on a building at North 2nd Street in Muskogee, the building next door to the one scheduled for demolition.

"I was shocked." said Shapoor Kazemi, building owner.

Kazemi arrived Tuesday to find a large portion of his building crumbled.

"The contractor told me they made a mistake. a miscommunication between them and the city." said Kazemi.

Channel 2 spoke with the site superintendent. He refused to take full responsibility for the mistake. In fact, he argued the crew actually began demolition on the correct building, and in doing so portions of Mr. Kazemi's building fell in.

"It's still being worked out not gonna say at this point but we're sorting out the cards at this points." said Supt. Stephen Schwennesen.

City officials say the miscommunication wasn't with them. City Planning Director Gary Garvin said a building inspector met with the wrecking crew and explained what needed to happen.

"They tore down the wrong building whether mistake or miscommunication someone's gonna have to use their senses." said Kazemi.

In the meantime, Ray Kouhi's business is next to the demolition site. His restaurant, Pisano's Pizza has been closed since September 3rd. That's when portions of the adjoining building caved in, prompting the city to take action, hiring A & R Wrecking Company.

"I'm losing customers, losing employees, and losing income." said Ray Kouhi, owner of Pisano's Pizza.
Kouhi hopes to reopen his restaurant next week.

The wrecking company said they will take responsibility for the demo site. Schwennesen said his crew will continue tearing down both buildings and clean up the area.

"Our work is to do it the safest way possible and unfortunately his building was caught in the middle." said Schwennesen.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 08:29:52 am »

They should have done what they do for surgeons now, only do it with spray paint.  They write in marker on the knee to be operated on "yes" and "no" on the other knee.  Should have tagged the buildings the same way.  That's a major F up.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:09:41 am »

They should have done what they do for surgeons now, only do it with spray paint.

They generally do.  The operations crew comes out and surveys the property for demolition to make sure the easement is OK, no overhang on the lot line, nothing that needs abatement, or no complications . . . then sprays the building with a bright orange "OK" or something similar.  In addition to telling the crew that it is good to go, it double check that this is the building to tear down.  If the operations crew and wrecking crew are both wrong, it was just meant to be.

I've actually had a case before for wrongful demolition.  Prosecuted it as a trespass to property (fees for property cases).  Pretty interesting and quickly resolved!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org