A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:10:39 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gasoline Question  (Read 7478 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 10:32:21 am »

I think the color is Gray. But a better question would be "What is engraved on the clock tower"?  I think It goes  something like "We the pilgrims, master we shall go away a little further-maybe beyond that last blue mountain balled in snow or across that angry or glimmering sea... The clock tower also supposedly says that due to SAS daylight time set your watch back one hour.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 10:36:12 am »

No, he was right...   Long John Silvers...   The Captain Ds has been out of business for quite a while.
I think Captain D's and Long John Slivers are the same company with a new name- just like Wendys owns other restaurants like Tim Hortons and I think Taco Bell. I like the rice & corn they sell at long John Slivers/ A&W- I'm not much for sea food. Lips sealed

dbacks fan
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 12:00:43 pm »

The additives are extra at the Murphy station and it's only sold at two pumps, the other pumps do not offer it- from what I understand the top grade costs you $9.99, so if you pick grade #1 it will pump into your tank a pint or so of additive first and then give you 7 cents discount on the fuel price as you fuel up. If you buy less than $10.00 of fuel the additive thing does not dispense at all. The 2nd grade is cheaper & the 3rd grade is the economy grade, but you have buy enough gasoline to cover the cost of the additive. I guess no one tryed it.

So they charge you $9.99 for this "additive" and then give you $.07 break on the pricie per gallon, and if you buy less than $10.00 of fuel you don't get any at all.

So if I understand this correctly, I usually put 11 gallons of gas in my car when I fill up. So I would pay $9.99 for the additve, and with the savings of $.07/gal making it $1.98/gal it would cost me $32.00 to fill up.

What is it that these "additves" do?
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 02:04:39 pm »

So they charge you $9.99 for this "additive" and then give you $.07 break on the pricie per gallon, and if you buy less than $10.00 of fuel you don't get any at all.

So if I understand this correctly, I usually put 11 gallons of gas in my car when I fill up. So I would pay $9.99 for the additve, and with the savings of $.07/gal making it $1.98/gal it would cost me $32.00 to fill up.

What is it that these "additves" do?
That's what I want to find out- That is why I made this thread- I have not used the stuff it's too expensive for me unless it works real good then it might be worth it- I was wondering if anyone on this board used the stuff and it seems no one did, -I guess the additives just clean the engine and injectors. I think your correct on how you explained it- that is how the girl in the booth explained it to me. You have to pay $9.99 for the additive and it gives you 7 cents off the gasoline prices. Don't forget there is also a cheaper additive for about $6.00 or so and then the economy grade for $2.99. I may be wrong but that is how I understood it. The Murphy station at Wal-Mart on Adm & Memorial is the one where I seen it and only the two pumps nearest the booth have it, it's a big box on the pole along side of the pump and you press the button for the additve you want. I'd like to know if it works good.. Lips sealed

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 02:27:18 pm »

I think Captain D's and Long John Slivers are the same company with a new name- just like Wendys owns other restaurants like Tim Hortons and I think Taco Bell. I like the rice & corn they sell at long John Slivers/ A&W- I'm not much for sea food. Lips sealed

Bzzzzzttttt....wrong answer.

Yum! owns five companies.

A&W (which cosites with LJS, here at least)
KFC
Long John Silver’s
Pizza Hut
Taco Bell

And, on topic, I'm not putting anything in my gas tank that doesn't come out of the gas pump directly.  Some alleged 'cleaner' being sold as a direct mix in could ruin your fuel system.  Good luck getting any money out of WalMart then, and then you'd be out the repair costs.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:30:00 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 02:54:15 pm »

Bzzzzzttttt....wrong answer.

Yum! owns five companies.

A&W (which cosites with LJS, here at least)
KFC
Long John Silver’s
Pizza Hut
Taco Bell

And, on topic, I'm not putting anything in my gas tank that doesn't come out of the gas pump directly.  Some alleged 'cleaner' being sold as a direct mix in could ruin your fuel system.  Good luck getting any money out of WalMart then, and then you'd be out the repair costs.

I'm with you Hoss, here is a link to the EPA about detergent in gas:

http://www.epa.gov/oms/regs/fuels/additive/fact7gda.htm

Adn this on the Code of Federal Regulations:
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/julqtr/40cfr80.155.htm

And if I think that I need that much extra, I'll go to my mechanic.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 12:04:12 pm »

That's the point this stuff DOES come out of the gasoline hose, it's put in first or mixed with the fuel as you pump the gasoline. it seems no one here used it or knows much about it. The ads about it at the station seem to say it works wonders, cleans the valves, injectors, and lubes the rings. The top grade of the stuff lasts for 1,500 miles  (costs $9.99 for trucks & SUV's)  and the cheapest grade of additve is needed at every fill-up and that costs $2.99. Lips sealed

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 02:18:30 pm »

That's the point this stuff DOES come out of the gasoline hose, it's put in first or mixed with the fuel as you pump the gasoline. it seems no one here used it or knows much about it. The ads about it at the station seem to say it works wonders, cleans the valves, injectors, and lubes the rings. The top grade of the stuff lasts for 1,500 miles  (costs $9.99 for trucks & SUV's)  and the cheapest grade of additve is needed at every fill-up and that costs $2.99. Lips sealed

You're STILL not doing it right.

If it's an additive and they claim as such, you're getting fleeced.  But hey, have at it if you think it will help.  My point was, it will come out of the tank into the hose, and not come from an intermediate source.  I'm sorry but I won't do that crap.

And BTW, I went to the Murphy's at 31st/Garnett and didn't see this additive you speak of advertised.  Granted I used one of the outside hoses, but if what they claim is so good, why don't they advertise it at the other pumps?  Makes one wonder, doesn't it.

Just don't come crying when another mechanic asks you what you've put in your tank lately.  It's your vehicle, not mine.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 12:10:20 pm »

The stuff is only sold at the pump close the booth at Murphys- and not all Murphy's stations sell it yet- it's brand new. I don't know if the station at 31st and Garnett sells it or not- I just seen it at the Adm & Memorial station. I have NOT bought it yet  I am trying to find out if some poster here bought it and if worked as promised. The box is hard to miss it has a TV screen and hangs over the pumps and it trys to talk you into buying it. I just want to know if anyone used it and is it worth the money.  Huh

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 01:19:41 pm »

I don't think you are going to find the answer you are looking for from this gang.  Who would know if it works right without removing their cylinder head(s) or having a borescope to check the cylinders?  Sounds like a wallet lubricant to me.

Still driving your old gas-chugging heap?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 01:49:01 pm »

I don't think you are going to find the answer you are looking for from this gang.  Who would know if it works right without removing their cylinder head(s) or having a borescope to check the cylinders?  Sounds like a wallet lubricant to me.

I would have to agree.  Without an independant study on this, it would be hard to say.  However, if those that fall for this start having shorter life spans on their vehicles engines after swtiching to this, it may be an indication that something is wrong, maybe.  On the other hand, I have spent a fair amount of time turning wrenches and working as a mechanic and have learned that the majority of things that are sold to "help" the car at best don't do anything, generally are worst for them due to the design of the engine, and exist soley to fleece the gullable into buying.  That being said, if you really want to add a "detergent" to your fuel, you would be much better off tossing in either a can of sea-foam or berrymans b-12 from time to time.  I've never seen these hurt an engine, and sometimes do a bit of good.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 03:12:30 pm »

Ok thanks gang, I didn't want to be the first person to try that stuff. Yep I'm still tooling around in a old 1990 F-150 it has a 302 V-8 (5.0)  with 300,000 miles on the clock. The reason I keep my old heap is I really don't like the new trucks I don't like how complex they are with all that computer junk, the hood area is so cramed. I don't like the cheap computerized dash and heater systems, I can't stand power windows and that's standard equipment now-a-daze. I like the old fashioned window crank. I am also no fan of aluminum cylinder heads, my current engine is all iron. Aluminum cracks real easy and the coolant needs alot of TLC and frequent changing or it'll eat a hole and cause a cylinder head to leak or head gasket to leak. When the engine on my heap finally goes, I'll just install a new engine and be good to go for another 200,000 miles.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:14:25 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org