A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:26:57 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Capitalism: A Love Story  (Read 5970 times)
FOTD
« on: August 21, 2009, 11:18:50 am »

Michael Moore....this looks entertaining!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhydyxRjujU&eurl
[/youtube]
FOTD
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:13:55 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFkbShik1L0&feature=player_embedded#t=115 [/youtube]

Michael Moore Says Capitalism Killed Newspaper Industry
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 02:09:28 pm »

Wow, Moore is such an intelligent guy.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 04:03:07 pm »

Capitalism also killed the wagon wheel making industry.  Capitalism must die!
FOTD
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 04:43:31 pm »

Capitalism also killed the wagon wheel making industry.  Capitalism must die!

Good point. We trade our news over the internets. If it were the newspapers old way we would be trading  clippings by US mail.

But local news will be less available in any print with even less discovery and investigation. Forums like this will be more the way the community gets the buzz.

Moore's right about public education getting screwed over by Republicans. That's the point. And the newspapers did slit their own throats by supporting candidates that would destroy the newspapers very own literate clients through thinning their ranks. Look at who speaks for the Republican Party. They carry placards and do talk radio and Faux News. Not exactly newspaper readers they seem to be catering to.

BTW, isn't this the one year anniversary when capitalism got real shaky? Not so sure it's fully recovered or will slip into a relapse. It's all about confidence. Let's hope POTUS OBAMA can lead us through and past the illiterates onto a solid recovery! The interceder Bernake and the subsequent stimulus was good government.
Capitalism had to be bled. It must not die but at the same time it must not abuse the masses of literates and illiterates.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:21:02 am »

His film was ignored at all the major film festivals.  But I saw a clip last night where he was trying to citizen's arrest executives at AIG.  Made me chuckle.

Roger and Me was a reaction to the destruction of his hometown, he was clearly bitter but he didn't pretend it was an unbiased documentary, it made some good points but missed some obvious ones (GM built the town, GM killed the town).  I liked Canadian Bacon.    Bowling for Columbine made some good points.  But he went all conspiratorial in F911.  I'll watch this one before making a judgment. 

But like his SICKO movie I think he is trying to hard to be current.  The transition is still very much going on. The recession is still in recovery mode.  It's hard to do a documentary explaining what is going on WHILE it is going on.  But we shall see.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 12:54:05 pm »

But he went all conspiratorial in F911. 

But like his SICKO movie I think he is trying to hard to be current.  The transition is still very much going on. The recession is still in recovery mode.  It's hard to do a documentary explaining what is going on WHILE it is going on.  But we shall see.
To be fair, he didn't buy into the troofer contention that there were bombs placed in the towers and all that other bunk. He rightly pointed out that the Bush Administration had warning and failed to act. It wasn't pointing out a conspiracy, it was pointing out nonfeasance. The pearl of wisdom in the noise that is the 9/11 truth "movement."

Sicko was a good movie, though.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 09:24:15 am »

Agreed.
Roger and me and Bowling for Columbine. Were good movies.
I have never really cared for Michael Moore but after watching Sicko, My opinion has changed. I liked that movie a lot and I cannot get anyone I know to watch it because of Michael Moore.
I cannot stress enough to my staunch red state Oklahoma family and friends. That a opinion cannot be reached without knowing the other sides reason and cause for their mission and or objections.
I mean you listen to both sides when your children fight and then decide the fate of the two.
But just to block out one side because that was the way my momma and her momma etc,etc,etc lived and believed is just sheep mentality.
My Father was Democrat and my Mother was Republican and their on the fence Son was a Independent.
I have always swung more conservative but with the results of the last decade I feel both sides should be examined and at least given a chance to show and prove the better for the Nation.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
rwarn17588
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 10:45:26 am »

Sicko was a good movie, though.

It sure was. I know more than a few conservatives who wouldn't ordinarily give Moore the time of day but admit that he absolutely nailed the scumminess of the health-insurance industry. Of course, more than a few of these conservatives also have dealt with the scumminess of health insurers firsthand.
FOTD
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 12:09:29 pm »

It sure was. I know more than a few conservatives who wouldn't ordinarily give Moore the time of day but admit that he absolutely nailed the scumminess of the health-insurance industry. Of course, more than a few of these conservatives also have dealt with the scumminess of health insurers firsthand.

Not 80% of the doctors this devil encounters.....they fear for their own pocket books and not the health care system. FOTD is amazed at how many doctors don't get it....that they have an oath that supersedes their greed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org