A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:06:33 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather note  (Read 6057 times)
rwarn17588
« on: September 21, 2009, 05:23:34 pm »

Isn't this about the time when shadows complains about his taxes being used for the storm-drainage system?  Cheesy
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 05:38:46 pm »

Isn't this about the time when shadows complains about his taxes being used for the storm-drainage system?  Cheesy

No but I'll complain about my street's storm drain obviously being clogged up...  Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Steve
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 09:51:29 am »

No but I'll complain about my street's storm drain obviously being clogged up... 

Report clogged storm drains to the City via www.cityoftulsa.org.  I have done this every fall on my street for the past 5 years or so, and they have cleaned them out each time withing 3 days or less.  That's why we pay stormwater fees on our monthly bills, but they need citizens to report such problems.

My street looked like that too last night for about an hour.  There was simply too much rain in too short a time for it to drain away fast enough.  It was not the fault of clogged drains to my knowledge.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 11:10:54 am »

Report clogged storm drains to the City via www.cityoftulsa.org.  I have done this every fall on my street for the past 5 years or so, and they have cleaned them out each time withing 3 days or less.  That's why we pay stormwater fees on our monthly bills, but they need citizens to report such problems.

My street looked like that too last night for about an hour.  There was simply too much rain in too short a time for it to drain away fast enough.  It was not the fault of clogged drains to my knowledge.

Zach (mobboss) said his garage and driveway were flooded.  We were okay over on my block.  I did open both my back gates to let the water out of my backyard quicker.  That was some unreal rain.  Glad I hadn't over-seeded the backyard yet, I would have lost all the seed.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 11:18:39 am »

No but I'll complain about my street's storm drain obviously being clogged up...  Grin

I'll complain because they guy across the street from you has too nice of a car to be parked in a yard.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 11:30:53 am »

I'll complain because they guy across the street from you has too nice of a car to be parked in a yard.

Not as good looking close up, trust me.  It does have potential, though.  I'm not a huge MoPar man, even though I own a Dodge now.  Was always a Pontiac guy.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 12:22:05 pm »

Not as good looking close up, trust me.  It does have potential, though.  I'm not a huge MoPar man, even though I own a Dodge now.  Was always a Pontiac guy.

Should potentially be at my house instead of rusting in a yard.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 01:05:59 pm »

Pick up the trash can, maybe your neighbor will move the Cuda.  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MDepr2007
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 05:11:36 pm »

Yeppers and sure glad it wasn't a 5",6" or more rain. One could only imagine.
Disclaimer: This is all N. of Admiral so it really doesn't count I suppose  Tongue

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:13:43 pm by MDepr2007 » Logged
Steve
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 01:17:28 pm »

Zach (mobboss) said his garage and driveway were flooded.  We were okay over on my block.  I did open both my back gates to let the water out of my backyard quicker.  That was some unreal rain.  Glad I hadn't over-seeded the backyard yet, I would have lost all the seed.

I'm not surprised; all the homes in Lortondale just off Yale flooded bad in the infamous Memorial Day flood of '84.  After that, the City went in and added many storm drain outlets from 26 St. to 28 St., just east of Yale.  But the residents around there still let them get clogged up and full of leaves, trash, and landscape debris, and really don't give it much thought until something bad happens.  They need to be more diligent, clean up their properties, quit blowing yard waste into the street, and keep an eye on the condition of the drains and regularly report problems.

MDepr2007
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 04:20:14 pm »

Curious as to the flooding at 11th & Sheridan the past few years. I don't recall it flooding so often growing up in the area.
dbacks fan
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 05:22:12 pm »

Quik Trip at 7th and Sheridan Memorial Day flood of 1984

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 07:06:30 pm »

I was in fayetteville when the storm rolled through there and the roads were just terribly flooded. I was more than a little annoyed that I ended up having to drive through it. It was dark, so I wasn't able to aee if it was more than that.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 10:40:11 pm »

So if the city has to come clean out storm drains, shouldn't there be a way to fine people who routinely blow grass clippings and leaves into the city streets?  This has to be illegal (isn't it?), but you see it every single day.

Can't decide which is worse: professional yard crews blowing debris from huge yards; or Joe Homeowner willingly causing street flooding in his own neighborhood.  (My favorite is when they blow it directly into the stormwater drain...as if it were a magical trashcan!)

When I edge our corner lot (once a month or so), I sweep up enough grass clippings and dirt to fill a 30 gallon trash can.  (Damned bermuda grass!)   It's shocking, really, how much accumulates.  It's hard to imagine how many tons of debris must end up in the streets/stormwater drains every day from the overzealous use of leaf blowers.

Is there a city ordinance against this?  If not, there should be.  And a huge outreach effort to help educate the public about the correlation between blowing yard waste into the streets...and clogged drains. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 09:22:15 am »

Ponder, very good points.  The obvious problem is enforcement there's simply no way to patrol and fine people for blowing debris in the road way or drains.  I also think other homeowners might be intimidated to rat out a neighbor for doing it.  I seem to be quite fortunate on my block as after six months of owning my house I've not seen anyone blow yard debris into the street.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org