A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:16:58 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: car insurance for teens? where to go?  (Read 4906 times)
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« on: September 19, 2009, 05:45:59 pm »

Are there any local company's that have great serice and prices for auto insurance for teens?  like safeauto
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 05:50:40 pm »

If it all possible, stay under parent's insurance.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 11:40:05 pm »

If it all possible, stay under parent's insurance.
Indeed. When I first got a car when I turned 18 (couldn't get a license until then..thanks stupid Arkansas law!) my first year of 25/50/25 (state minimum in AR) coverage was around $1400. Oddly, that's only slightly less than it would have cost if I were a completely unlicensed driver. Yes, you can get auto insurance even if you don't have a license, at least in Arkansas.

After a year, I was able to drop it down to a little under $1200 by switching carriers. It was the third year of being insured that finally brought it down to something resembling reasonable, about $600 a year. Now I pay around $300 a year for 100/300/100.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Wilbur
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 06:45:37 am »

Go to an independent insurance agency.  They can shop your car insurance around to several insurance companies and get the best deal for you.  After shopping around for several years and switching between Allstate and Farmers (more than once), I ended up at an independent.  They put me with Travelers and cut my costs by more then 50%... for more coverage!  Most independents only deal with reputable carriers who have good claims service/records.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:07:56 am »

I'm sure this doesn't help, but when I was about 18 I ended up going to the DMV and turning in my driver's license. I lived at home but the insurance company wouldn't allow a licensed driver to live in the household and not be on my parents policy, even though we told them I didn't drive.

$50 a month is a lot of money on a part-time McDonald's paycheck, and money better spent on things that actually have value rather than insurance for an activity you can do without.

Stupid insurance racket.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 08:00:51 pm »

When I first left my parent's insurance, I was driving a 13yr old car, liability only, and cost about $1500/yr. When I was 24 and bought a new car I upped to full coverage, it went to about $2500/yr. No tickets, no claims.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 08:17:22 am »

Oklahoma Farm Bureau.

I've got a 19 yo and 16 yo on my policy and it's not too bad.  My 16 yo with liability, comp/collision ($500/$1000 deductibles), and UIM is right at $100 per month on a Nissan Pathfinder.

I've been very happy with their homeowners and auto rates.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org