A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:30:45 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Urban Tulsa Weekly Article  (Read 6629 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« on: September 18, 2009, 08:09:46 am »

Hey gang~ did any of ya see the story in "Uban Tulsa Weekly" about the progress OKC is making? Not only that but they are going to move I-40 seven blocks south and build a 70 acre park there with jogging trails. OKC has for the past few years been building a network of jogging trails off of the main trail that circles Lake Hefner, with plans to make a connecting system of jogging trails. Looks like "T" Town suffered from Complacency a bit too long. OKC also has lower unemployment than Tulsa. Tulsa has alot of catching up to do. I was surprised by all the things OKC is doing. Lips sealed

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:27:01 am »

They let you back on the computer again huh?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:25:11 am »

Hey gang~ did any of ya see the story in "Uban Tulsa Weekly" about the progress OKC is making? Not only that but they are going to move I-40 seven blocks south and build a 70 acre park there with jogging trails. OKC has for the past few years been building a network of jogging trails off of the main trail that circles Lake Hefner, with plans to make a connecting system of jogging trails. Looks like "T" Town suffered from Complacency a bit too long. OKC also has lower unemployment than Tulsa. Tulsa has alot of catching up to do. I was surprised by all the things OKC is doing. Lips sealed

Hey dipschmidt, OKC is hoping when they are done to exceed 200 miles of trails by 2022. Tulsa is already at over 180 miles and building just as fast.

Also, the unemployment rates are less than 1% apart.

Some other notes:

I see no such article anywhere on Urban Tulsa's site.

Mohawk park is 2,800 acres, we have over 6,000 acres citywide. Is 70 supposed to be impressive?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:29:39 am by sgrizzle » Logged
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 01:13:54 pm »

Hey dipschmidt, OKC is hoping when they are done to exceed 200 miles of trails by 2022. Tulsa is already at over 180 miles and building just as fast.

Also, the unemployment rates are less than 1% apart.

Some other notes:

I see no such article anywhere on Urban Tulsa's site.

Mohawk park is 2,800 acres, we have over 6,000 acres citywide. Is 70 supposed to be impressive?
The article is in the current issue of the Free "Urban Tulsa Weekly Mag" at newstands (I dunno if it's on line or not). The Saturday OKC Newspaper also had a front page story about the big changes going on in OKC. The 70 acre park will be downtown connected to jogging trails. Tulsa has no parks downtown. OKC is also working to make a connecting network of jogging trails so you can run (or cycle) your legs off without crossing any street or having to worry about cars. Tulsa has alot of trails but many require street crossings and they don't connect with one another for the most part.. The Creek TurnPike trail crosses many streets as does the SandSprings trail. Omaha, Nebraska has a outstanding network of jogging trails with no street crossings you can run your legs off (or cycle your legs off) and never have to cross a single street that's what I'd like to see in Tulsa. I'm a hard core running nut and jogging trails are important to me. I don't run on the streets & roadways it's not safe and it's not relaxing, I stick to the trails, Anyhoo, I was just surprised to see all the things OKC is doing...  www.omahatrails.com  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:19:53 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 02:20:24 pm »

The article is in the current issue of the Free "Urban Tulsa Weekly Mag" at newstands (I dunno if it's on line or not). The Saturday OKC Newspaper also had a front page story about the big changes going on in OKC. The 70 acre park will be downtown connected to jogging trails. Tulsa has no parks downtown. OKC is also working to make a connecting network of jogging trails so you can run (or cycle) your legs off without crossing any street or having to worry about cars. Tulsa has alot of trails but many require street crossings and they don't connect with one another for the most part.. The Creek TurnPike trail crosses many streets as does the SandSprings trail. Omaha, Nebraska has a outstanding network of jogging trails with no street crossings you can run your legs off (or cycle your legs off) and never have to cross a single street that's what I'd like to see in Tulsa. I'm a hard core running nut and jogging trails are important to me. I don't run on the streets & roadways it's not safe and it's not relaxing, I stick to the trails, Anyhoo, I was just surprised to see all the things OKC is doing...  www.omahatrails.com  Cheesy

Why don't you go and talk to the people in Oklahoma City about it?

www.okctalk.com

I'm sure there's an Omaha forum as well
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 03:37:47 pm »

For the record, Centennial Park, formerly known as Central Park, is pretty darn close to being downtown. 6th and Elgin is two blocks from being inside the IDL. Also has connecting paths.

OKC has its own horn section, and they don't need a bandleader over here.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 04:25:26 pm »

For the record, Centennial Park, formerly known as Central Park, is pretty darn close to being downtown. 6th and Elgin is two blocks from being inside the IDL. Also has connecting paths.
Glad that you pointed out the park IN downtown, and one of the parks adjacent to downtown. I also wanted to throw in two more parks IN downtown: Cathedral Square (more of a pocket park) and Williams Green. Plus, Veteran's Park, just outside of the IDL.

---Robert
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 09:47:05 am »

Whats the name of the new park right on Boston Ave with the new fountain, (and will be getting a new amphitheater/cafe area in the future). The new John Hope Franklin Reconciliation Park is part of downtown as far as I am concerned. Then right by that is the large park by the OSU Tulsa campus with the fountains and pond. Plus plans call for the 4 corners by the TTC Metro campus to be turned into a park area, you can see part of that already with the space by the new campus building. Plus, most scenarios for the East End call for some sort of large park to be there. The downtown plan calls for the Williams Green to be redesigned into a more pleasingly functional space. Also Kaiser is building a new park across from the Matthews Warehouse/Philbrook expansion. The Boston Ave church has a lot of park space around it. The new route 66 park is right beside downtown and of course connects to the River Parks. There are also several other parks in the new Downtown Master Plan.

Eventually, no matter where you live downtown, you will be at most just a few blocks away from a park of some sort. There will be lots of small neighborhood type parks and plazas within the IDL. Large ones for the East End and Gunboat Park areas, then larger parks just outside, on all sides and corners of the IDL (Owen Park, OSU Tulsa, Centennial Park, Veterans Park, River Parks... 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 09:50:53 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 10:01:04 am »

Don't forget Plaza of the Americas at 7th/8th and Denver. All concrete and always full of homeless people. Who needs grass and open spaces?

MDepr2007
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 02:31:55 pm »

Whats the name of the new park right on Boston Ave with the new fountain, (and will be getting a new amphitheater/cafe area in the future). The new John Hope Franklin Reconciliation Park is part of downtown as far as I am concerned. Then right by that is the large park by the OSU Tulsa campus with the fountains and pond. Plus plans call for the 4 corners by the TTC Metro campus to be turned into a park area, you can see part of that already with the space by the new campus building. Plus, most scenarios for the East End call for some sort of large park to be there. The downtown plan calls for the Williams Green to be redesigned into a more pleasingly functional space. Also Kaiser is building a new park across from the Matthews Warehouse/Philbrook expansion. The Boston Ave church has a lot of park space around it. The new route 66 park is right beside downtown and of course connects to the River Parks. There are also several other parks in the new Downtown Master Plan.

Eventually, no matter where you live downtown, you will be at most just a few blocks away from a park of some sort. There will be lots of small neighborhood type parks and plazas within the IDL. Large ones for the East End and Gunboat Park areas, then larger parks just outside, on all sides and corners of the IDL (Owen Park, OSU Tulsa, Centennial Park, Veterans Park, River Parks... 

And where is the benefit for Tulsa in all that?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 08:02:19 pm »

Don't forget Plaza of the Americas at 7th/8th and Denver. All concrete and always full of homeless people. Who needs grass and open spaces?

That park is scheduled for a makeover.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 08:34:00 pm »

I think new parks within the CBD could be catalysts for new development in areas that need it.  There are three areas I'd like to see parks in downtown:

- by the BOK Center on the site of the Fed. Building, assuming a new one is built and the current eyesore is torn down

- in Blue Dome between Cincinnati and Detroit, 3rd and 4th on that surface lot by the PAC surrounded by new development

- the 'Cathedral Square' park in front of Holy Family between Boulder and Boston along 8th with new residential development around it

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 09:24:51 pm »

And where is the benefit for Tulsa in all that?

Huh  I hope your being facetious lol

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org