A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:50:33 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My rant on development / road planning  (Read 13797 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 06:59:47 am »

I think the thermal cycles do have something to do with the road conditions.  As a level of bad, when I was in Germany in 95, I saw a sign on a 2 lane country road that warned of a bad surface (strasse schade).  In Oklahoma that road would have been considered good.  Another condition is that our new roads are not that spectacular.  The new lanes on Memorial between the turnpike and 111th must have been designed to match the condition of the existing lanes.  One last rant... At least in the 70s, Oklahoma had an asphalt specification that everyone paving an Oklahoma road  had to use.  Sounds like a good idea until you find out the spec was out of date and much better roads were possible.

bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 09:12:31 am »

Every place has its good and bad points.  I do need to ask why you WANT to live here if it's so terrible.  I could understand if you were trapped by family or finances but you claim to want to be here.  Why?  There must be something you like.  What is it?  Maybe thinking about whatever is good will improve your day.

It's a fair question Red Arrow.  I appreciate that you're trying to keep me thinking positive.  Smiley    My crankiness about street development (and street conditions) is something I've carried for a long time, probably since I was a "ute" (did you say utes?....no no "youths"....lol)

To be honest, the reason I'm here is because I did not pursue my education to the extent I should I have.  Therefore my career opportunities are somewhat limited and I have been fortunate to find myself in a steady full-time position with one of our local "jewel" companies.   I have young children and I'm able to provide a stable life for them.  But I want more for my kids and I sincerely hope they are able to parlay their educations into successful careers.  And to be honest, I'm not sure what Tulsa is going to have in 15 years to keep my kids here.   

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 09:31:51 pm »

It's a fair question Red Arrow.  I appreciate that you're trying to keep me thinking positive.  Smiley    My crankiness about street development (and street conditions) is something I've carried for a long time, probably since I was a "ute" (did you say utes?....no no "youths"....lol)

To be honest, the reason I'm here is because I did not pursue my education to the extent I should I have.  Therefore my career opportunities are somewhat limited and I have been fortunate to find myself in a steady full-time position with one of our local "jewel" companies.   I have young children and I'm able to provide a stable life for them.  But I want more for my kids and I sincerely hope they are able to parlay their educations into successful careers.  And to be honest, I'm not sure what Tulsa is going to have in 15 years to keep my kids here.   

I believe in (I think Bill Cosby's) theory of never challenge worse.  Just as soon as you say things couldn't possibly get worse, they do.  Therefore, if things are really so bad, they could be worse. If they truly could not possibly be worse, the only way is better.  Have a day.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 01:24:28 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20091001_16_0_WASHIN975802

State to slash millions in road projects after Congress fails to extend measure

What does this mean for Tulsa?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 02:17:56 pm »

In my negative assessment, it means any funds Oklahoma has to allocate will be cut.  Which means Tulsa's road projects will have to be shelved for another 10-15 years in order to move I-44 in Oklahoma City.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Lost Cause?
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 10:29:44 am »

Why all the hate on South Memorial Drive?

It is what it is....suburban development....As soon as the Creek Turnpike/US 169 loop was connected at Memorial, everybody knew Memorial south of the Creek would be like the restaurant/shopping row on 71st.

Tulsa just does not have the population to support much large scale development as  so you get mostly small to moderate strip malls + big box stores.  I think the majority of people who live in the area and shop there are content with it.

One easy/cheap suggestion would be to require landscaping at the front of any commerical development where it fronts the arterial street.  In Dallas the use of hedges along the streets, blocks the view of the parking lots w/o blocking the view of the restaruant or building which seems to give a much nicer, greener feel to things.

Also grassy medians with trees to help beautify and add to urban forest where-ever possible.

As for Tulsa Hills being held up as an example of the "right way", I disagree.  I was disappointed to see it built as 1/2 mile (so far) street lined with big boxes and strip malls with very little landscaping.

When announced it was touted as a lifestyle center, which in most other cities means basically an open air mall layout with limited parallel street parking on the interior with big box on one end or adjacent on perimeter with walkable landscaped common areas with play areas, amphitheater, etc. and surface or garage parking on perimeter
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 10:10:57 pm »

Why all the hate on South Memorial Drive?

It is what it is....suburban development....As soon as the Creek Turnpike/US 169 loop was connected at Memorial, everybody knew Memorial south of the Creek would be like the restaurant/shopping row on 71st.

Doesn't mean we have to like it. 

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 01:37:10 pm »

One easy/cheap suggestion would be to require landscaping at the front of any commerical development where it fronts the arterial street.

We have something like that already, but the way it works is when the landscaping or trees die from lack of care they just tear it out and pave it over.

Anyone remember what the Burger Street on 21st at Harvard looked like before the landscaping was removed?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Encoste09
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 06:09:12 am »

Im looking at change of use to residential for a rental property Im interested in.

Has anyone come across any online planning permission discussion forums with a UK bias?

Im sure they must be out there as the whole local authority/planning laws is always ripe for discussion.

CoffeeCup
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 11:44:33 am »

Im looking at change of use to residential for a rental property Im interested in.

Has anyone come across any online planning permission discussion forums with a UK bias?

Im sure they must be out there as the whole local authority/planning laws is always ripe for discussion.
CoffeeCup

You also post under the Inveree09 screen name.  Why the multiple identities?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 11:57:52 am »

You also post under the Inveree09 screen name.  Why the multiple identities?

This poster must live on a different planet than earth and is trying to hide his/her/its true identity. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 05:18:28 pm »

Bunnies??? Pancakes???

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 08:51:20 pm »

Bunnies??? Pancakes???

Happy to oblige:

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
1Urbanist
Tourist

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 05:10:46 pm »

Q:What weighs 25 tons and drives down our streets 2X per week, unnecessarily?

A:once per week trash collection in conjunction with mandatory weekly recycling!

Streets are designed to get us from place to place.  Since I moved back a year ago, I've yet to have a problem accomplishing this on Tulsa's streets.  I realize the people posting on TulsaNow are pretty progressive, so can we stop complaining about the potholes and focus our attention on attracting and retaining talent?  Who ever said, "I got a really great job offer in Tulsa, but their streets were unacceptable"?
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 06:25:11 pm »

I realize the people posting on TulsaNow are pretty progressive, so can we stop complaining about the potholes and focus our attention on attracting and retaining talent?  Who ever said, "I got a really great job offer in Tulsa, but their streets were unacceptable"?

Individuals may not say that, well most anyway, but businesses who may be looking to relocate may well use that as on reason not to move here. It may just be one reason in a long checklist, but it is something we can and are fixing. That said, this thread was about developments and there road layout mainly (though not only) in the southern part of town so I don;t really see a connection. Not going to even reply to the other part of your post since it makes no sense as we don't have mandatory recycling. Heck if we did we would create lots of jobs with varying pay grades but that is also off topic.

Thank you,
Robert Town
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org