A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:33:34 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music/Videos your jammin or relaxin to now.  (Read 6985 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: August 27, 2009, 10:15:04 pm »

We all have that "current set of fave songs/videos" that we listen to. Then get tired of them and move on to the next set. There is so much out there these days that you can get lost in the sea of music and perhaps miss a few really great songs.

From comments on here about local concert events, its apparent there is a wide range of tastes on here. I thought it might be fun to share some of each of our current favorites. Perhaps expand some horizons and discover something we wouldnt otherwise.

I suppose my tastes are rather vanilla compared to some, but run the gamut from pop and techno dance to classical opera, Gregorian Chants and electronica, Jazz and Blues, but appreciate the occasional song from all types of genres. 

To keep it from getting out of hand and people posting huge lists that do nothing but deter the desire to dig through them, lets just keep it to 3 of our current favorites. Then as time goes by, share another 3.

Here is one I just recently discovered. I havent heard her on the radio yet, but cant imagine that it will be long until we do. This little girl rocks and this song makes me want to turn up the volume, and get up and move.

Janelle Monae: "Many Moons" Official Short Film (HD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZyyORSHbaE

This one is fun, thought about putting it up when Journey was in town. They play this one to death at the clubs, their mix is a little better than this one, but for those who havent heard it, its Journey mixed with Lady Ga Ga. The new beat mixed into the Journey classic is great.  I think its funny when I go out and the younguns hear a great "new song" which I recognize is a remix of an old classic. Sometimes its a remix which itself was once a remix lol... Guess I am showing my age lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-miJGCA134

This one floored me when I firs heard it. I discovered it through a DJ Tiesto remix. I loved the song with the musical accompaniment he had added so decided to hunt up the original. Wow, didnt realize it was acapella, and a girl singing it lol. I thought I had discovered a new song, but found out that everyone else had heard it ages ago. Oh well, here it is just in case you havent found it. For some reason parts of it reminds me of some hauntingly beautiful, ancient choral music, has some classic tonalities and chords (kind of like Enya). I can imagine the song and video being something you would see in a performance art venue, a video screen that was a "musical painting/work of art" hanging on a wall.

Hide and Seek by Imogean Heap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cpSv2mNhhc

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:19:54 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 10:21:08 pm »

At Home in the control station (you'll get it once you see the layout of my house): Cable Channel 917, classic alternative when there's nothing on the tube, or I just want music to work to.

On the laptop, You-Tube, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Fuel, classic '80's videos, for some reason, I always come back to Billy Preston

Never think to grab my i-pod anymore but it's loaded with Dave Matthews, Grateful Dead, Prince, Wings, Stones, Beattles, Men At Work somewhat ecclectic

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:44:20 pm »

At Home in the control station (you'll get it once you see the layout of my house): Cable Channel 917, classic alternative when there's nothing on the tube, or I just want music to work to.

On the laptop, You-Tube, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Fuel, classic '80's videos, for some reason, I always come back to Billy Preston

Never think to grab my i-pod anymore but it's loaded with Dave Matthews, Grateful Dead, Prince, Wings, Stones, Beattles, Men At Work somewhat ecclectic

Prince was one of my favorites growing up. Need to dig out those old CDs
Have heard of most of the others you listed as well, but dont recognize the artist or cant think of any songs by Fuel or Wings and dont think I have heard of Billy Preston...  Post a link to one of his songs that you think is a good example or current fave.   I must admit, I am bad with names and its entirely likely that I have heard some of their songs.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:01:02 am »

Ask me tomorrow and the list will be different:
Silversun Pickups - Panic Switch
Elbow - Grounds for Divorce
White Rabbits - Percussion Gun
Alice in Chains - Check My Brain
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 07:13:04 am »

Oh yes, forgot about Alice In Chains, another favorite of mine to Youtube.

Fuel, Shimmer

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0QMfK9hzgA[/youtube]

Billy Preston, Will It Go 'Round In Circles

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yiYbCJitvQ[/youtube]

Billy was referred to as the "5th Beatle" by some.  One of the truly great session and solo guys.  Like Leon Russell, he's worked with everyone who was someone in rock-n-roll.

Wings, as in Paul McCartney & Wings  Wink

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWrGSa-Asdk[/youtube]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 07:30:39 am »

Bat For Lashes and Passion Pit have been favorites of mine lately. The new Third Eye Blind album is very good too. And I've been listening to a lot of classic rock lately as well....mostly the Stones and George Harrison.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 07:55:38 am »

I listen to talk radio.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 08:18:14 am »

I listen to talk radio.

I listen to KRMG on the way to work, but listening to too much talk radio gets me frustrated with politicians and do things like run for office.
Inveree09
jhgiugf
Citizen

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 01:03:24 am »

Ok, after sitting here and feeling old after watching some 80s videos that I havent seen in ages...lol...I hit upon a Winger video...and WOW I had forgotten why I had such a crush on him when I was a teen.....well now I remember LOL
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 02:06:01 am »

Oh yes, forgot about Alice In Chains, another favorite of mine to Youtube.

Fuel, Shimmer

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0QMfK9hzgA[/youtube]

Billy Preston, Will It Go 'Round In Circles

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yiYbCJitvQ[/youtube]

Billy was referred to as the "5th Beatle" by some.  One of the truly great session and solo guys.  Like Leon Russell, he's worked with everyone who was someone in rock-n-roll.

Wings, as in Paul McCartney & Wings  Wink

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWrGSa-Asdk[/youtube]

I know it's a little late to be responding to your post Co, but AIC will not be the same without Layne.  Saw them in concert in Houston and was blown away.

Been listening a lot lately to my old 80s hair band music (Dokken, Ratt, Crue, Kiss, Whitesnake) and a LOT of older Queensryche.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 12:26:36 pm »

Here is one I just recently discovered. I havent heard her on the radio yet, but cant imagine that it will be long until we do.

A lot of artists dont make it through the Clear Channel Iron Curtain.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org