A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:33:09 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Nuts COBURN Represents! Beg Your Pardon?  (Read 9028 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 01:54:24 pm »

And yet, Coburn doesn't seem to realize that HE IS THE GOVERNMENT. And how about Coburn setting the example and being a good neighbor to the people he is supposed to represent here in Oklahoma without health care. What is his solution? I haven't heard anything.

Life expectancy in the U.S. is less than that of other countries where they provide health care to everyone. As a doctor, I expect Coburn to have more compassion, but that apparently is only applied when he sees fit. There are thousands of people he represents who are sick and/or dying right now due to no health care. And he's doing nothing about it. In fact, he's trying to PREVENT them from having it. So much for the hypocritic oath. (Spelling intentional.)

No, he's not attempting to prevent people from getting health care.  Who's scaring the little kiddies now?  Do you care about the truth or just DNC sound bites and talking points?  One glaring stat being left out in the haste to call our healthcare system a failure is that the United States is overwhelmingly the most overweight society on the planet.  We beat Mexico by 6%

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html

Compare the two web sites, life expectency seems to be the inverse of obesity.  Point is, we have unhealthy lifestyles in the United States.  A government re-vamping of health care will accomplish little in the way of improved mortality if people don't change their own attitudes about their own health and practice personally proactive health care. 

Coburn's point is correct.  Government is not the solution for everything.  In this woman's case he might be able to appeal to gov't bureaucrats to make something happen for this woman's husband.  But the point is, government is not the solution for every person's problems.  You guys just want to split hairs so you can talk about how bad Coburn is.

Here is Coburn's solution you claim he hasn't offered from his own web page, unfiltered:

http://coburn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=HealthCareReform.Home

"May 20, 2009

Senators Coburn, Burr and Representatives Ryan, Nunes Offer A Better Path Forward on Health Care Reform
Bicameral Coalition of Reformers Unveil “The Patients’ Choice Act of 2009”

WASHINGTON – Earlier today, U.S. Senators Tom Coburn, M.D. (R-OK) and Richard Burr (R-NC) and U.S. Representatives Paul Ryan (R-WI) and Devin Nunes (R-CA) introduced health care reform legislation that delivers on the shared principles of promoting universal access to quality, affordable health care, and does so without adding billions of dollars in new debt or taxes.

“The Patients’ Choice Act of 2009,” transforms health care in America by strengthening the relationship between the patient and the doctor; using choice and competition rather than rationing and restrictions to contain costs; and ensuring universal, affordable health care for all Americans. “The Patients’ Choice Act” promotes innovative, State-based solutions, along with fundamental reforms in the tax code, to give every American, regardless of employment status, age, or health condition, the ability and the resources to purchase health insurance. The comprehensive legislation includes concrete prevention and transparency initiatives, long overdue reforms to Medicare and Medicaid, investments in wellness programs and health IT, and more.

“As a practicing physician, I have seen first-hand how giving government more control over health care has failed to make health care more affordable and accessible. The American people deserve health care reform that will work, not another round of so-called reform that repeats the same failed policies of the past. Congress and the administration have the opportunity to pursue bold reform and a fresh start. The Patients’ Choice Act will provide every American with access to affordable health care without a tax increase, more debt and waiting lines,” Dr. Coburn said.

“The American health care system needs a complete transformation,” Senator Burr said. “The Patients’ Choice Act will finally enable Americans to own their health care instead of being trapped in the current system, which leaves people either uninsured, dependent on their employer, or forced into a government program. With a focus on prevention and wellness and covering those with pre-existing conditions, the Patients’ Choice Act will make health care affordable and accessible to all Americans.”

“Both parties need to step up to the plate with specific solutions to our nation’s health care crisis,” added Ryan. “The Patients’ Choice Act represents a clear alternative to those who seek to empower Washington at the expense of the individual, and I am hopeful that our efforts can help push Congress to enact a more sensible health care reform bill this year. The Patients’ Choice Act proves that America can have universal health care coverage without the government running our health care system.”

Nunes stated, “The American people deserve a health care system that is centered on their individual needs. Our bill will allow us to achieve this goal, while improving health outcomes, lowering cost and guaranteeing access to health care for every single American.”

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 02:14:32 pm »

CoCo, You ever research Coburn's contributors? They're all high end doc networks and their private hospitals or big pharma shills. That's fine. But please don't put forward a health plan that favors these foxes in the hen house.
http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.php?cycle=2010&cid=n00005601&type=I&mem=

Affordable and accessible versus efficient and fair.....
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 02:50:47 pm »

CoCo, You ever research Coburn's contributors? They're all high end doc networks and their private hospitals or big pharma shills. That's fine. But please don't put forward a health plan that favors these foxes in the hen house.
http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.php?cycle=2010&cid=n00005601&type=I&mem=

Affordable and accessible versus efficient and fair.....

Run open secrets on all the key Dems in this legislation, big med, big pharma, medical manufacturers, hospitals, yada, yada, yada.  I posted the contributions to Pelosi, Hoyer, Reid, Democrat party and Republican party yesterday.  Or do you read my posts?

edit: Another key contributor to Dimocrat campaigns, the nebulous "lobbyists" contributors.  No idea which lobbies they represent, but one can guess.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:53:09 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
T-Town Now
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 06:30:46 pm »

No, he's not attempting to prevent people from getting health care.

(snip) ...using choice and competition rather than rationing and restrictions to contain costs; and ensuring universal, affordable health care for all Americans.

Competition? Health care premiums have been skyrocketing. In some parts of the country, a single health care provider has the huge majority of the area. There is no competition in many areas, and the current corporations work together to keep premiums high.

I just read today that next year alone, without single payer or public health care, premiums will go up 10%.

The CEO at United Health Care has made over $750 million over the last few years.  That money comes from over-charging customers. Who exactly is protecting the American people? It sure isn't Coburn.

The Republicans had 6 years to do something about out of control health care costs in this country. And they did...nothing. It's pretty obvious to me how concerned they are about helping the American people out.

Oh...but they did start a war based on lies that cost how much? They weren't concerned about deficit spending then. Cheney said deficits don't matter. (Unless that money actually helps someone, then you can forget it.)
USRufnex
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 05:58:39 pm »

Yes, that was most definitely a non-partisan report.  No hyperbole, no mock horror on the part of the *ahem* reporter at all.

Yeah, god forbid Rick Sanchez express an opinion.  He simply verbalized what millions of mainstream Americans thought.

http://blog.reidreport.com/2009/08/conservatives-without-conscience-tom-coburn/

Coburn didn't pass this off at face value as did the producer of this piece.  What we don't know is if this is a legit issue or if the woman was placed in the audience to stir up crap (think that hasn't happened at Democrat town halls?), whether or not her husband is eligible for some sort of government coverage (SSD, Medicaid/Soonercare) and they simply have not figured out how to go about getting it, or if the folks at the nursing home attempted to get coverage and he's simply not eligible.

Excuse me?  Do you honestly think this woman was acting?  Do you honestly believe she was some sort of plant?   Roll Eyes

I'm sorry.  We live in Oklahoma.  Dems can't play shenanigans like that because the CONSERVATIVE MEDIA in this state would be all over it.

A good friend of mine at my church in Chicago had to go through similar issues with her mother-- feedings, etc.  It was exhausting and she was frantic and tearful just trying to talk about it.  Neighbors bring food... neighbors help you with your housework... neighbors and people from church can only do so much... why can't those "thousand points of light" include the healthcare CEOs who've made out like bandits to the tune of over $100,000 per hour?.... geez.  Shouldn't $1000 per hour be enough?  Does it ever end?  Why can't these people be held accountable for the failure of the private healthcare system to control spiraling costs?  Why is there never a connection made between obscene private sector salaries and the denial of benefits people thought they had...?

"Contact my office and I will see what I can do to help."  What more was he to say to the woman?  That is a  part of what Senators and Reps do to help their constituents.

He's dead on that the government is not the solution for every issue.  That's not a cold, callous comment.  He went further to say that we all as individuals should be more willing to look out for our neighbors.  What's so wrong with that concept?

Sorry, but it was cold and callous (and a politically correct talking point for a Repub, btw).  Does Dr. Coburn know a neighbor of his who can do the things this woman is being asked to do?  I doubt it.  I agree that the government is NOT the solution for every issue.  Individuals should be willing to look out for their neighbors.... but he completely sidestepped the issue this woman was raising.  Private for-profit insurance companies are more interested in maintaining soaring profits, satisfying their shareholders, showering their CEOs with ungodly amounts of money and perks, while driving not-for-profits out of business... they are not interested in SERVING THE PEOPLE AND THE SMALL AND LARGE BUSINESSES WHO PAY THEM.

Oh, I know that's some sort of C-street mafia code-speak for God in government, I forget.

.... yet another reason why Brad Carson would have made a much better Senator than this crackpot.

http://thinkprogress.org/2005/09/13/coburns-hypocrisy-a-crying-shame/

I would never want Tom Coburn to be my doctor.  Ever.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:10:27 pm by USRufnex » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 09:53:34 am »

Yeah, god forbid Rick Sanchez express an opinion.  He simply verbalized what millions of mainstream Americans thought.

http://blog.reidreport.com/2009/08/conservatives-without-conscience-tom-coburn/

Excuse me?  Do you honestly think this woman was acting?  Do you honestly believe she was some sort of plant?   Roll Eyes

I'm sorry.  We live in Oklahoma.  Dems can't play shenanigans like that because the CONSERVATIVE MEDIA in this state would be all over it.

A good friend of mine at my church in Chicago had to go through similar issues with her mother-- feedings, etc.  It was exhausting and she was frantic and tearful just trying to talk about it.  Neighbors bring food... neighbors help you with your housework... neighbors and people from church can only do so much... why can't those "thousand points of light" include the healthcare CEOs who've made out like bandits to the tune of over $100,000 per hour?.... geez.  Shouldn't $1000 per hour be enough?  Does it ever end?  Why can't these people be held accountable for the failure of the private healthcare system to control spiraling costs?  Why is there never a connection made between obscene private sector salaries and the denial of benefits people thought they had...?

Sorry, but it was cold and callous (and a politically correct talking point for a Repub, btw).  Does Dr. Coburn know a neighbor of his who can do the things this woman is being asked to do?  I doubt it.  I agree that the government is NOT the solution for every issue.  Individuals should be willing to look out for their neighbors.... but he completely sidestepped the issue this woman was raising.  Private for-profit insurance companies are more interested in maintaining soaring profits, satisfying their shareholders, showering their CEOs with ungodly amounts of money and perks, while driving not-for-profits out of business... they are not interested in SERVING THE PEOPLE AND THE SMALL AND LARGE BUSINESSES WHO PAY THEM.

.... yet another reason why Brad Carson would have made a much better Senator than this crackpot.

http://thinkprogress.org/2005/09/13/coburns-hypocrisy-a-crying-shame/

I would never want Tom Coburn to be my doctor.  Ever.

Ruf, you are not plumbed correctly to be a patient of Dr. Coburn.  Wink

What Senator Coburn was asking the woman to call his office for is:  a Senator or Reps staff can help cut through red tape on getting SS or other benefits rolling a hell of a lot quicker.  I know of specific cases where this has happened from appeals to a Congressional office.

Am I sympathetic to this woman's plight?  Yes.  Honestly, watch the video again, she seems to be laying it on really thick.  Is it possible she simply has no clue how to navigate getting help for her husband?  Yes.  Is it possible her husband was d/c from a nursing home because he's actually hospice-elligible now and he's not eating because he's nearing the end?  Possibly.  Is it possible she was a shill?  Yep, every bit as much a chance as GOP shills showing up at Dim-led town halls. 

Do we have enough information from her brief, emotion-filled plea to truly understand what is going on?  No.

If this had been Dan Boren, you'd be rolling on your latex about now.  You are letting your blind hatred of anything conservative color whatever good did come out of that exchange.  I'd love to hear the follow up and see what's happened with this particular case.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org