A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:17:03 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryin' over Kilkenny's...  (Read 8335 times)
Caldera
« on: August 12, 2009, 01:47:24 pm »

Okay, I admit that I am upset about Kilkenny's closing.  I've become something of a regular, and usually went in once a week.  I showed up last week for my standing Thurs. happy hour, and there's a sign on the door that they are closed but hopefully not for long...  Cry
We had no clue what had happened, but I read today that apparently the owners couldn't or wouldn't pay their taxes (for the second time), and have been closed down because of it.  My message to the owners:  Hire accountants to take care of your books, and get back to running a great non-chain resturant!

I'm craving some Chips 'n Cheddar and a cold pint of Smithwick's.  I really hope they get the tax stuff worked out and reopen soon!
stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 02:08:18 pm »

If it is the second time they have been shut down by the IRS, sadly I would not expect them to be reopening anytime soon.  The IRS usually does not give a company more than two shots.

wordherder
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 02:51:51 pm »

What happened is that Kilkenny's hasn't paid their sales taxes since 2002.  And then fought every effort to get them to actually pay them tooth and nail since then.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=274&articleid=20090812_39_D1_Plates170828

I really loved eating there, but it's kind of hard to sympathize with them.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 03:04:33 pm »

What happened is that Kilkenny's hasn't paid their sales taxes since 2002.  And then fought every effort to get them to actually pay them tooth and nail since then.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=274&articleid=20090812_39_D1_Plates170828

I really loved eating there, but it's kind of hard to sympathize with them.

That's not what the story says, specifically.  It says they started missing payments in 2002.  The story says they are indebted to the tax commission to the tune of about $143K which would be about 8.6% of $1.6mm in sales.  $1.6mm over seven years is about $19,000 a month in sales.  They would have closed up long before now if that's all they were doing in sales.  A place like that would be doing at least $1mm a year in sales, or roughly $3000 per day I'd think.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 03:17:37 pm »

I bet they were very bad at keeping the books and just short changed them the $143K over time.  I used to have a small business and it is a pain to do the sales tax in OK.  Maybe they had a bad accountant too.  Whatever the reason it sucks for Kilkenny's fans like me.  I hope it re-opens as a pub again soon.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 08:17:27 am »

I wonder if they had an issue with alcohol sales tax?  As I understand it, alcohol is supposed to be taxed differently than regular food items.  Perhaps they messed up the accounting on that portion?

/not idea really, just a thought.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 11:17:20 am »

i went the day it opened, twice...
i went weekly (at least twice) since then...
it was my local...

it had a great atmosphere, food and drink...
the food was hands down better than other pub fare in town...

it is a damn shame, but you could see it comin from a mile away...

i'm pissed.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:27:31 am by brunoflipper » Logged

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 11:34:18 am »

i went the day it opened, twice...
i went weekly (at least twice) since then...
it was my local...

it had a great atmosphere, food and drink...
the food was hands down better than other pub fare in town...

it is a damn shame, but you could see it comin from a mile away...

i'm pissed.

+1 on the food, though White Lion is pretty good

I don't think that space would sit fallow for long if these guys can't get their smile together. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 11:39:24 am »

White Lion is a great place with great PUB food - about the only place I go in South Tulsa without whining too much.  Kilkenny's had great food by any standard and seasonal items that you could trust would be great.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 01:05:58 pm »

+1 on the food, though White Lion is pretty good

I don't think that space would sit fallow for long if these guys can't get their smile together. 

Yeah I could see someone reviving the concept in that location, Elliot Nelson perhaps?

Oh and the White Lion is fantastic, one of my favorite places in Tulsa.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 12:37:28 pm »

Kilkenny's reopens today at 4.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 01:27:58 pm »

I'll try to be there by 3:59

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 01:39:05 pm »

See if you can get your tax reduced to 6.5% since that is all they pay anyway.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 10:45:23 am »

See if you can get your tax reduced to 6.5% since that is all they pay anyway.

That's funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org