A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:14:06 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where have all the bold ideas gone?  (Read 3834 times)
USRufnex
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:12:42 pm »

Hmmmmm.... this article isn't about Tulsa.... it's from the Portland Tribune.

Where have all the bold ideas gone?
ANALYSIS • Critics say Portland is a city that thinks small, but city leaders say part of their job is to listen
By Jennifer Anderson
The Portland Tribune, Aug 13, 2009

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story_2nd.php?story_id=125010604757119300

And yes, I purposely linked to pg 2 of the article, lest you read the soccer part first.

“All the architects can do is threaten you with slide rulers and pocket protectors and sharp pencils."

“Big ideas in Portland are rarely enthusiastically, overwhelmingly positively embraced at the outset,” he says. “Light rail – huge controversy. Streetcars – very difficult to get off the ground initially.”

“It seemed sometimes there were multiple layers of process – I can see how that would be frustrating for a developer if they were from out of town. We had a term for that: That was the Portland way.”
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:29:30 pm by USRufnex » Logged
FOTD
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 06:28:08 pm »

Hmmmmm.... this article isn't about Tulsa.... it's from the Portland Tribune.

Where have all the bold ideas gone?
ANALYSIS • Critics say Portland is a city that thinks small, but city leaders say part of their job is to listen
By Jennifer Anderson
The Portland Tribune, Aug 13, 2009

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story_2nd.php?story_id=125010604757119300

And yes, I purposely linked to pg 2 of the article.

“All the architects can do is threaten you with slide rulers and pocket protectors and sharp pencils."

“Big ideas in Portland are rarely enthusiastically, overwhelmingly positively embraced at the outset,” he says. “Light rail – huge controversy. Streetcars – very difficult to get off the ground initially.”

“It seemed sometimes there were multiple layers of process – I can see how that would be frustrating for a developer if they were from out of town. We had a term for that: That was the Portland way.”

Never encourage your child to be an architect. They get fired often and especially in bad times. When they sense no work, they come up with schemes to make money which often lead developers of real estate into dangerously expensive ideas when used for imaginative concepts on a city's behalf.
DowntownNow
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 06:52:01 pm »

Hmmmm FOTD in that last sentence might have been channeling the group that used to be associated with Fregonese, Sienna Architects (now aka V3 Studio Architects who have locally partnered with former Matrix CEO Steve Alter)?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 08:20:58 pm »

"Mommas don't let your kids grow up to be architects."

M'kay.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
USRufnex
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 08:22:44 pm »

I dunno.
Bing Thom got what?  $20mil off Tulsans alone?

Nice work if you can get it.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:32:25 pm by USRufnex » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org