A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:49:20 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BOk to Police: Dont Party With Guns  (Read 4952 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: August 27, 2009, 10:53:20 pm »

The local police union responded to BOk's policy forbidding firearms in the arena with this press release:

On Wednesday August 26th, 2009 a letter was forwarded to several Chiefs of Police and Sheriffs in the Tulsa Metro area.  The letter, authored by Dan Brown, former Tulsa Police Department Officer and current BOK Center Security Director, stated “Because of various reasons, our policy is that no guns are allowed into either building except for on duty law enforcement personnel.”  It went on to state “We have had incidents in the past when off duty law enforcement attended one of our events and did partake of the adult beverages.

Tulsa Fraternal Order of Police President Phil Evans stated in response to the policy change, “I am deeply concerned about this change at the BOK Center for several reasons.  First and most importantly, the safety of the patrons of the BOK Center is the Police Department, and every officer’s top priority, on or off duty.  Police Officers lead different lives from most citizens.  When they go home from their shift, their responsibilities do not end.  They must be concerned with their personal safety and that of their family if a person whom they have arrested recognizes them and would seek revenge, and they must uphold the oath that they take to defend the lives of citizens, even if they are off duty.”

President Evans went on to say “The Federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act guarantees off duty law enforcement officers across the United States the right to carry a weapon off duty to protect themselves, their family and the citizens.  This right extends to all jurisdictions.  I am concerned that this policy could bring liability to the BOK Center and in turn, the City of Tulsa.”

Finally, President Evans stated, “If there were issues with individual officers violating the state and federal statues dealing with carrying a firearm off duty and drinking, then those should have been dealt with on an individual basis, instead of a blanket ban which may place the BOK Center at odds with law enforcement officers and lessen the safety that the citizens have experienced to this point at the venue.  I urge the BOK and SMG management to reconsider this policy.”

Tulsa FOP Lodge #93 represents over 1200 active and retired Police Officers from the City of Tulsa.

But that brings us to why the Security Director, a former Tulsa cop, is upset about armed LEOs drinking at the BOk.  It may go unanswered though, as the BOk backed down following the FOP's protest.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 03:39:36 pm »

I have to ask:  did the BOK Center properly report the officers who were drinking while carrying firearms? I wrote the book on when off duty officers can carry firearms and the answer is basically "as long as they aren't drinking."  If they were drinking, they were in violation of the applicable laws and standards of the Police Department.

If the BOK Center reported it and nothing was done, only to see repeat occurrences:  then I cannot blame them for their policy.  Alcohol and firearms do not mix.  Citizen, soldier, or cop.  It doesn't matter.

Also begs the question:  are officer carrying firearms while drinking in other places?

I strongly support the right of persons holding a CLEET certificate to carrying firearms, concealed or otherwise, at all times.  However, when alcohol is involved firearms shouldn't be.  I hope our officers and our Police Department (and other law enforcement agencies) enforce those guidelines judiciously to protect officers and the public.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Wilbur
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 04:41:35 pm »

The local police union responded to BOk's policy forbidding firearms in the arena with this press release:

“We have had incidents in the past when off duty law enforcement attended one of our events and did partake of the adult beverages.

So, I'm curious.  This does not say off-duty 'armed' law enforcement partook of the adult beverages.  And, off-duty armed police don't wear visible guns.  And, not all off-duty officers carry guns.  And, not all off-duty officers carry guns to every situation, so, how do we know if armed, off-duty officers were partaking of the adult beverages?  Did they see guns?  Did they ask if they had guns?  If they recognized off-duty officers but didn't see guns, are we just assuming?  More info please!

Since 'gun registration' appears to be a voluntary non-legal requirement, I think ....
MDepr2007
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:03:41 pm »

the safety of the patrons of the BOK Center is the Police Department, and every officer’s top priority, on or off duty.

Every?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:26:56 pm »

So, I'm curious.  This does not say off-duty 'armed' law enforcement partook of the adult beverages.  And, off-duty armed police don't wear visible guns.  And, not all off-duty officers carry guns.  And, not all off-duty officers carry guns to every situation, so, how do we know if armed, off-duty officers were partaking of the adult beverages?  Did they see guns?  Did they ask if they had guns?  If they recognized off-duty officers but didn't see guns, are we just assuming?  More info please!

Since 'gun registration' appears to be a voluntary non-legal requirement, I think ....

I'm sure they were slinging back beers while firing their six-guns in the air and yelling "yehaw!"

GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 06:54:17 pm »

I'm sure they were slinging back beers while firing their six-guns in the air and yelling "yehaw!"

Smile when you say that, stranger! 

Trust but verify
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:55:01 pm »

Also begs the question:  are officer carrying firearms while drinking in other places?

KJRH's website indicated that TPD honors the Performing Arts Center's ban on guns, so there may be multiple standards at play:

Dep. Police Chief Dennis Larsen says, "We are going to tell our officers to follow whatever rules you post." He says its a common policy in other parts of the country.  Dep. Chief Larsen adds, "Any of them have the right to refuse someone coming in if they don't obey the rules of that venue."
Local venues have with different rules.  The Tulsa Performing Arts Center does not allow off-duty officers in with weapons. The fairgrounds does allow them to.

When we look at the FOP statement:
"the safety of the patrons of the BOK Center is....every officer's top priority, on or off duty. Police officers lead different lives from most citizens. When they go home from their shift their responsibilities do not end. "  it is an assumption that they must be prepared to make an arrest to fulfill their duty, and a further assumption that the would be armed to make such an arrest.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
MDepr2007
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 10:18:07 pm »

So they can't do their job without a gun? 

The BOK could save money on security cost, if enough off duty officers are there with guns.Then again I would imagine  many officers are too busy working part time jobs to go to a concert.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org