A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:52:03 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R.I.P Les Paul  (Read 4476 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: August 13, 2009, 10:47:45 am »

A huge, huge legend in the music world has gone on ahead:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jBD78k8tewQ7FPeiKtJbK8QPmtzAD9A23OFG0

The eulogy for Les could go on for hours.  A very fine player but his best contribution to music was this:

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
tim huntzinger
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:12:23 am »

A huge, huge legend in the music world has gone on ahead:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jBD78k8tewQ7FPeiKtJbK8QPmtzAD9A23OFG0

The eulogy for Les could go on for hours.  A very fine player but his best contribution to music was this:

His death strikes a chord with me . . .
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:15:43 am »

Saw him play live at the Radison Empire back in the day.  His rendition of "Blue Sky" is an amazing tribute to his smooth fingering style.  I wish I had half the guitar skills he had and 1/10th the cash.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
FOTD
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 11:19:56 am »

common knowledge:

Les Paul also invented the multi track recording machine, which basically gave birth to rock and roll as we know it.....

prior to his invention, there existed 4 tracks, which the beatles and zepplin used. but had no "synch" tape head....... Les Paul invented the "synch" head, which allowed a musician to listen to the recorded tracks, and play along in real time, or overdub if you will........ might be the most important invention in music history, les also fathered reverb machines, echo units, microphones, guitar pickups, the list goes on and on...

And Steve Miller was his god son , Me thinks.

Created a wonderful tone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:29:15 am »

common knowledge:

Les Paul also invented the multi track recording machine, which basically gave birth to rock and roll as we know it.....

prior to his invention, there existed 4 tracks, which the beatles and zepplin used. but had no "synch" tape head....... Les Paul invented the "synch" head, which allowed a musician to listen to the recorded tracks, and play along in real time, or overdub if you will........ might be the most important invention in music history, les also fathered reverb machines, echo units, microphones, guitar pickups, the list goes on and on...

And Steve Miller was his god son , Me thinks.

Created a wonderful tone.

And Fender devotees will tell you Leo was the innovator of reverb.  Nevertheless, I didn't mean to leave out Les' other contributions, but the LP guitar is the most recognizable icon of his life and arguably of rock-n-roll.  Thanks for the add to the thread.  I have to say I'm a bit wistful about his passing, but he left a huge legacy we will enjoy for ages.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 02:40:10 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ_5ubk2H4k[/youtube]

Lester the Legend

Chasing Sound

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/les-paul/chasing-sound/100/

“I sign lots of boobs,” he says.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 02:45:49 pm by FOTD » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org