A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:04:45 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Townies Bikes  (Read 3175 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: August 03, 2009, 09:41:03 am »

I tried out the Tulsa Townie's (the free pink bikes sponsored by St. Francis) this past weekend as I was walking along the river.  For some reason it wouldn't let me rent one though even though my credit card was valid and I saw someone else who had the same problem.  Yet I still saw a bunch of people riding them on the trail so it worked for some.  Anyone have experience with these bikes or have experienced problems?  I think it's an awesome program, hopefully they can expand it in the future.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:52:30 am »

I tried out the Tulsa Townie's (the free pink bikes sponsored by St. Francis) this past weekend as I was walking along the river.  For some reason it wouldn't let me rent one though even though my credit card was valid and I saw someone else who had the same problem.  Yet I still saw a bunch of people riding them on the trail so it worked for some.  Anyone have experience with these bikes or have experienced problems?  I think it's an awesome program, hopefully they can expand it in the future.

I was at Riverparks at 41st yesterday and saw a lot of people trying to rent them from that station and it not working. It may have just been that one rack that you couldn't rent from.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:36:12 am »

I was at Riverparks at 41st yesterday and saw a lot of people trying to rent them from that station and it not working. It may have just been that one rack that you couldn't rent from.

The same thing happened at 19th as well, that is actually where a girl asked me if I could get it to work after she was unsuccessful.  Like I said I saw lots of pink bikes out so it was working for some.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 02:50:26 pm »

Finding a properly sized undamaged bike is difficult, at least in my experience, although last time I had occasion to check them out was this spring.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 03:48:18 pm »

I was there taking photos on Saturday as a couple tried to remove bikes unsuccessfully.  They said they'd used them previously without problems.  I know the Townie program had software problems at one time.  Maybe it's a glitch.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:08:53 am »

I found this Urban Tulsa article, apparently there have been many instances of people not being able to access the bikes.  And this article is from last summer!  I do like the program but maybe they should just charge a fee if they can't pay for the proper upkeep of the bikes and the locking system.  It would also be better for the bikes if they were covered instead of out in the elements.  I would pay to rent an actual nice road bike for a half day, is there someplace that does that along the river? 

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A24307

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 03:11:04 pm »

I would pay to rent an actual nice road bike for a half day, is there someplace that does that along the river? 

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A24307

Try Tom's Bicycles 481-1818

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 07:19:45 pm »

Try Tom's Bicycles 481-1818
+1

Tom is great, as are his employees.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org