A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:11:58 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone tried Smashburger yet?  (Read 33104 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 05:07:22 pm »

I tried it once.  I'm back to patronizing the local burger boys.  I'm sure my physician wishes I wouldn't  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hawkins
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 09:39:49 pm »

I tried to hit the one in front of the Cinemark IMAX (in the new downtown Tulsa--169 and 71st) around 1:30 last Sunday.

Big mistake. Line was all the way out the door. In the interest of time, I had to settle for Wendy's instead.

I don't like big crowds. I wish I didn't live in this area, because it seems all of Northeastern Oklahoma, Kansas, and Arkansas converge here all at once on Saturdays and Sunday afternoons.

Maybe its also the 6 hotels surrounding the Cinemark. This Smashburger is within walking distance of 4 of them.

A great choice for their location, I must say.

--
dbacks fan
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 03:20:45 pm »

I normally don't bring up old posts, but I tried Smashburger yesterday and doubt that I will be going back. It wasn't dry as someone else commented, it was rather greasy,. Had the 1/3# mushroom and swiss with sweet potato fries and a medium drink. $11.00. just not worth the money. Would rather go to one of the sports bars near me for a 1/2# with fries for the same price, plus get a beer to go with it. Also would rather support a local instead of a franchise.

http://thegilbertskybox.com/playbook.htm

Still trying to find a Ron's or Hank's here, most places are also gyros and Chicago style hot dog places. Also nothing like Goldie's. Close but not quite.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 04:27:59 pm »

A Meers burger and drink doesn't even cost $11 and it's far better than a smashburger. Only problem is it's a little remote

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 06:51:20 am »

Every time I've gone, the burgers have been so salty that I can't eat the whole thing.  Red Robin is the same way.  Too much salt to cover up flavorless meat.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 07:38:35 am »

Every time I've gone, the burgers have been so salty that I can't eat the whole thing.  Red Robin is the same way.  Too much salt to cover up flavorless meat.

Can't stand that.  I've literally walked out of restaurants who think salting up a dish to flavor it is good practice.  Like you said, it's covering something.

I do notice lately though that more and more restaurants don't salt their food as much as in the years past.  Good for me, with my family history of hypertension.  I've also become very label-aware when it comes to sodium.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 09:29:54 am »

Can't stand that.  I've literally walked out of restaurants who think salting up a dish to flavor it is good practice.  Like you said, it's covering something.

I do notice lately though that more and more restaurants don't salt their food as much as in the years past.  Good for me, with my family history of hypertension.  I've also become very label-aware when it comes to sodium.

I ate at Harden's last week and almost couldn't eat the burger because it was so salty.  They use an onion salt blend, so it was onion-salty.  Next time I will have to instruct them to "lay off".

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 02:27:45 pm »

Went to Smashburger in Wichita about 3 weeks ago.  Forgettable - so it seems they are at least consistent.  But that is McDonald's territory, so they better watch out.

Gonna stick with Bill's
And Lot-A-Burger (at least until they go under, which seems to be the business plan of the lawyers in Bartlesville who own it.  Wish they would let me have it, rather than the ongoing decay of their facilities - even worse than usual.)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hawkins
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2010, 11:37:31 am »

Went to Smashburger in Wichita about 3 weeks ago.  Forgettable - so it seems they are at least consistent.  But that is McDonald's territory, so they better watch out.

Gonna stick with Bill's
And Lot-A-Burger (at least until they go under, which seems to be the business plan of the lawyers in Bartlesville who own it.  Wish they would let me have it, rather than the ongoing decay of their facilities - even worse than usual.)

I've always wondered what's up with those Lot-A-Burgers.

Perhaps you've answered my question-A tax write-off for a successful law firm?

--
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2010, 11:54:35 am »

--

I'll tell you what's up with them- disgusting.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2010, 12:35:44 pm »

--
Got an ex that is a manager at one of the stores.  I never could understand the business practices of the company, nor how they managed to keep in business. 
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 01:14:17 pm »

Got an ex that is a manager at one of the stores.  I never could understand the business practices of the company, nor how they managed to keep in business. 

the newest one they built (up on Mingo between Admiral and Pine, I'm guessing to service the AA employees) is almost always empty.  The only thing of theirs I really care for is their chicken tenders or whatever they call them.  Their burgers are quite underwhelming.  I mean, if you work for AA, just drive the extra two minutes to Hank's and have good food!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 12:03:09 pm »

I don't  think they ever "built" one - they just take over abandoned buildings and start up a restaurant.  Like Rib Crib's early years.  Good idea, but really ought to put on a coat of paint!  (Do you suppose they use Anchor paint??)

The one that used to be at 1600 No. Lewis was exceptionally run down in 1967 the first time I went there.  Don't think it ever got any maintenance.  Sad, but that's what happens when lawyers are involved in the economy, I guess.  Oh, well.

Still think I could do something with it.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
inteller
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2010, 10:01:46 am »

this place serves salty puke and should be shut down.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2010, 11:00:36 am »

I went to one where you could see a little sign over the grill - notice to employees type thing.
It said something to the effect that salt is the key to the thing and not to skimp on it.  Very salty.  It all goes back to the meat they use.  Was told once, but don't remember.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org