A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:53:30 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eyes on 2020 Olympics  (Read 23480 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2013, 12:06:23 pm »

There are several more cities that could pull this off easier than Tulsa, but it could still be done.  This is for an Olympics that is 11 years away.  That is plenty of time to build the hotels and facilities.  We definitely have the room to build the facilities.  Many of the stadiums could be built to be deconstructed or reduced in size, just as they did in London.  It's not as big of a pipe dream as people make it out to be.  If they announced Tulsa as the 2024 site, there's no doubt in my mind we could pull it off, there would be hiccups, just as every Olympic site has, but we'd pull it off and overall our city would be a better place to live.  

How is just "more" making the city a better place to live....??

That is a lot like the idea that "volume" in a house somehow equates to a "better" standard of living.  The McMansion School of thought.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGuy
Activist

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2013, 03:10:25 pm »

All the money that would be spent on infrastructure, tourism, facilities would enhance the quality of life in Tulsa.  Sure there would be less beneficial ways of staging an Olympics but chances are what remained after the Olympics (including the people that moved here) would be an upgrade to Tulsa or to any city.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2013, 04:49:24 pm »

They say it takes billions and billions of dollars to stage an olympics.  If there were billions and billions of dollars in Tulsa for use to improve and promote the city I can think of a whole bunch of ways to use that money.  The first would be to repair the Zink dam with something other than duct tape.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2013, 04:53:01 pm »

They say it takes billions and billions of dollars to stage an olympics. 

Most of the olympics wouldn't be in Tulsa.  It'd be farmed out.

Much of the money wouldn't be raised locally or by the city.

I think we've covered all this earlier in the thread. 

In any case, our state isn't accepting enough to host international groups.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org