A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:10:58 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eyes on 2020 Olympics  (Read 23481 times)
brianh
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2009, 10:47:00 am »

I am pretty sure when Mark Perkins is mayor during the 2013 bids and the city murder rate is cut in half, we will be a front runner for sure.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 07:38:02 pm »

Looks like the USOC sent a letter to 35 US cities asking them to consider bidding to host the 2024 Summer Olympics, and Tulsa is on that list.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic_bids/future_bids_2016/1216136491.html
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 09:15:55 pm »

SCAM!

Scram....

I'm boycotting any Olympics until wrestling is reinstated.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 08:48:14 am »

Like him or not, Rummy's comments are spot-on:

Even former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld sounded off over the weekend, writing in The Washington Post that wrestling is unique from "the arts festival and Kumbaya session that some may prefer the modern Games to be."

"While I have tremendous respect for athletes of every Olympic sport, it is difficult to understand why wrestling was singled out for exclusion," he wrote. "To exclude wrestling from the Olympics would be a tragedy for the sport, for the athletes and for the proud tradition of the Games."

Perhaps not surprisingly, many of these lawmakers and officials used to wrestle and/or coach. Rumsfeld wrestled through high school and college. Jordan was a two-time NCAA wrestling champion, according to his official bio.

The IOC, though, argued that 25 other sports simply took priority over wrestling.

"This is a process of renewing and renovating the program for the Olympics," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said last week. "In the view of the executive board, this was the best program for the Olympic Games in 2020. It's not a case of what's wrong with wrestling, it is what's right with the 25 core sports."

Wrestling will now join seven other sports in applying for inclusion in 2020. The others are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu. They will be vying for a single opening in 2020.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/18/us-pols-launch-campaign-to-save-olympic-wrestling/#ixzz2LXpWbGTe

Someone care to tell me what wushu is?  I mean really, wrestling has been an Olympic sport since the very first olympiad, if memory serves me correctly. According to the IOC, the idea is to make sure all the sports are relevant to fans.  Table tennis is one of the 25 core sports, looking at youth and collegiate participation rates in wrestling just in the United States alone, I suspect there's far more interest in wrestling.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 09:13:28 am »

Someone care to tell me what wushu is?  I mean really, wrestling has been an Olympic sport since the very first olympiad, if memory serves me correctly. According to the IOC, the idea is to make sure all the sports are relevant to fans.  Table tennis is one of the 25 core sports, looking at youth and collegiate participation rates in wrestling just in the United States alone, I suspect there's far more interest in wrestling.

You are absolutely right - wrestling is part of the definition of "Olympics".  What a bunch of idiots they have running that little wingding....

And while I really enjoy curling, it certainly AIN'T no Olympic sport!!  It is shuffleboard for younger people...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 09:27:51 am »

In the event that they actually take Tulsa seriously as a host. Where would we build a new Billion Dollar Stadium? and how in the World would little old Tulsa afford it?
I like pipe dreams too. Just not smoking from one when I am having them.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 09:30:28 am »

What would we do with that stadium after the Olympics leaves??  Couldn't even afford to keep it painted!

Even with the wild success of the BOK center, my guess is that is about as big a facility as we can effectively use for a long time to come...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 09:32:36 am »

In the event that they actually take Tulsa seriously as a host. Where would we build a new Billion Dollar Stadium? and how in the World would little old Tulsa afford it?

We'd need to sell Broken Arrow and Owasso to raise the money.  We'd then build it in the River by dredging.  Then, when it's over, we let it fill up and use it as a water park.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 09:32:51 am »

Evan's Fintube Site? (That is if Blake isn't using it).
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 10:40:42 am »

Someone care to tell me what wushu is?  I mean really, wrestling has been an Olympic sport since the very first olympiad, if memory serves me correctly. According to the IOC, the idea is to make sure all the sports are relevant to fans.  Table tennis is one of the 25 core sports, looking at youth and collegiate participation rates in wrestling just in the United States alone, I suspect there's far more interest in wrestling.

History teaches us that ultimately.... He who has the most people wins.  

US= 5% of world population.    China= 20%     = Wushu and Table Tennis in, wrestling out.  

Keep watching, more of these "perplexing little surprises  Undecided, to the average American" to come.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2013, 10:46:36 am »

Keep watching, more of these "perplexing little surprises  Undecided, to the average American" to come.

Is the USA population still watching the Olympics like it used to?
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2013, 01:09:10 pm »

If they set out a minimum number of hotel rooms needed why do they send these letters to cities (like Tulsa) that aren't even remotely close to that threshold?  Also, as noted, there would be little use for the facilities once the games are over.  This is just silly.  I really hope no one is spending any serious time or money on this.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2013, 04:49:27 pm »

I still say lets do a Worlds Fair, build a tall architectural viewing structure (no indian statue please) on the hill just north of downtown, and have each country build something kewl in all the empty parking lots downtown  Grin or on the Fin Tube site and around that. Also have it be 100 years of progress and energy/art themed and task each country with having a structure that will have modern take on 1920's "modern/Art Deco" style. 

I think we could actually do that and come out much the better for it.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2013, 06:39:42 pm »

Picture is worth a thousand words....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVDPoyVuZZg

TulsaGuy
Activist

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2013, 10:14:49 am »

There are several more cities that could pull this off easier than Tulsa, but it could still be done.  This is for an Olympics that is 11 years away.  That is plenty of time to build the hotels and facilities.  We definitely have the room to build the facilities.  Many of the stadiums could be built to be deconstructed or reduced in size, just as they did in London.  It's not as big of a pipe dream as people make it out to be.  If they announced Tulsa as the 2024 site, there's no doubt in my mind we could pull it off, there would be hiccups, just as every Olympic site has, but we'd pull it off and overall our city would be a better place to live. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org