A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:39:11 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eyes on 2020 Olympics  (Read 23486 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: August 04, 2009, 01:23:54 pm »

Why the Hell not?

"Committee eyes possible Tulsa bid for Olympics"

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090804_11_0_TheTul998361
PepePeru
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:45:15 pm »

Hey 'lympics, so help me God if I hurr you talkin 'nother langwige umsides Ainglish, so help me God, I cain't be helds s'sonsbuls fer awhats abouter happenins.  Randy Terul done did do his legalizin' mamember?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:46:04 pm »

Hey 'lympics, so help me God if I hurr you talkin 'nother langwige umsides Ainglish, so help me God, I cain't be helds s'sonsbuls fer awhats abouter happenins.  Randy Terul done did do his legalizin' mamember?

Lemme guess.  Tim's brother?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:51:21 pm »

Oh right, that's why.

I forgot, we don't take kindly.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 04:05:14 pm »

Why the Hell not?

"Committee eyes possible Tulsa bid for Olympics"

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090804_11_0_TheTul998361

Does anyone seriously believe current Tulsa is comparable to Atlanta circa 1986 (or whenever it was awarded the Olympics)?

I love people thinking big, but there is no need to waste time, resources and energy by focusing on unrealistic efforts.  At present, Tulsa couldn't win the Olympics if the choices were limited to cities in Oklahoma.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:11:25 pm »

Well it's a good thing that some Tulsa residents think highly enough of our city to think it could host an Olympics . . .

But it's an absurd idea.  More absurd, even, than the idea of spending $700 million to build islands in the Arkansas river.  But I guess it's good that folks are thinking big.  Hope they don't spend too much money on these pipe dreams when it could be used on concrete investments in the city's real future.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:37:48 pm »

They sure didn't spend any money on the presentation. The PDF linked on tulsaworld.com looks like poo.
sportyart
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 08:14:55 pm »

I know that it has been years since I last posted on my beloved TulsaNow, but I could not pass up the opportunity to comment on this…….inspiration.  While I think the proposal that was given to the city council was extremely poor quality and very unprofessional, I think a professional review of the city infrastructure, hotel space, airport, security, ect. would be a very good idea for future projects, not necessarily the 2020 Olympics.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 09:18:24 pm »

At first I was like,,, You have got to be kidding. However, I like big ideas and going for it. I like thinking out of the box and giving it a go. Sometimes its the unexpected, taking the untried path that changes ones perspective and you suddenly realize you might be on to something. Even if that something wasnt what you had originally expected.

After watching the News on 6 segment, it appears that what Tulsa would be doing would be making itself the headquarter city for an Oklahoma/regional bid for the Olympics. They noted that the Atlanta Olympics, didnt actually have all the events in Atlanta. Like the big, money making, Soccer events being in Florida. The story mentioned that we would actually have events hosted as far away as Norman, Stillwater, Bartlesville and OKC. We would be the instigators and the "named face" of the Olympics, but it would really be many cities, or "Oklahoma" putting on the games. In this light, this laughable idea starts to look interesting. The very novelty of the approach being proffered, if played right, would at least get us a double take lol, and there may actually be advantages to this approach (versus one huge city like Chicago) which might have been over looked simply because nobody else has ever been so bold as to even consider the idea.

There are some possibilities here. But you would have to play your cards with all the flair and finesse you could muster. That would include getting all the other cities like OKC behind the idea. 

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:45:46 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Wilbur
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 05:03:14 am »

Actually, the city of Atlanta and the city of Tulsa are very similar.  Both have a population of around 400,000.  Tulsa has twice the land area.  Nearly all Olympic venues hold events off-site in other cities.

Having said that, please, PLEASE, do not let the city government spend one penny on this never-going-to-happen event.  I swear, we better not hear "we found more money."
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 09:15:15 am »

1.  I doubt it will happen.

2. Olympics cost the host city millions if not BILLIONS of dollars.

3. It will bring some exposure to the city if we even launch a decent bid.

4. With a State/regional effort, we could easily pull it off.  The Tulsa metro area has several stadiums that could host events (Union, Owasso, and of course University of Tulsa).   Bigger events in OU or OSU's football stadiums or even Fayetville.  BOK Center and the Ford Center.  Basketball facilities abound.  I think facilities wise, we could pull it off.

5. RAIL!  Great excuse to put commuter and regional rail. 

But if local entities want to use private money to make a push, GO FOR IT.  Public money, IMHO, should only be used to the extent is is considered tourist advertising at this point.  Just hearing Tulsa on the list of possible places might have some status raising merit to it.

Interesting in any event.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Juan Mad Okie
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 10:14:22 am »

Actually, the city of Atlanta and the city of Tulsa are very similar.  Both have a population of around 400,000.  Tulsa has twice the land area.  Nearly all Olympic venues hold events off-site in other cities.

the city itself is similar in size (Tulsa 370,00, Atlanta 500,000) but if count up the population of the Atlanta MSA, it is around 5.5 million people... two million more than the entire state of Oklahoma
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 10:17:15 am »

1.  I doubt it will happen.

2. Olympics cost the host city millions if not BILLIONS of dollars.

3. It will bring some exposure to the city if we even launch a decent bid.

4. With a State/regional effort, we could easily pull it off.  The Tulsa metro area has several stadiums that could host events (Union, Owasso, and of course University of Tulsa).   Bigger events in OU or OSU's football stadiums or even Fayetville.  BOK Center and the Ford Center.  Basketball facilities abound.  I think facilities wise, we could pull it off.

5. RAIL!  Great excuse to put commuter and regional rail. 

But if local entities want to use private money to make a push, GO FOR IT.  Public money, IMHO, should only be used to the extent is is considered tourist advertising at this point.  Just hearing Tulsa on the list of possible places might have some status raising merit to it.

Interesting in any event.

Billions AND billions.  And, of course, it would all go to the oligarchs and the Rooney/Flint construction cartel.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:32:18 am »

Billions AND billions.  And, of course, it would all go to the oligarchs and the Rooney/Flint construction cartel.

Thank you. I needed that laugh.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Renaissance
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 10:33:26 am »

What a joke!!! HA HA.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org