A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:44:43 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some items of good news . . .  (Read 7826 times)
FOTD
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 09:10:01 am »

Way to address the points in this thread FOTD.  A small company based in Tulsa expanded, how horrible!  A company deciding to retain jobs in Tulsa, bad!  An arena that is among the busiest in the nation, god forbid.  A golf course consistently hosting major events that draw in tourist dollars, god no!  A growing employment base, rising wages, and a steady number of jobs - say it ain't so! 

I sprinkle some good news onto the forum in the middle of a recession and you feel the need to crap on it.  Why?  If everything is doom and gloom and so horrible that it cannot be looked at with optimism or change, why are you still here?  I CHOOSE TO LIVE HERE.  I could have and still could move to anywhere in the country and a good number of locations around the world, but live here.  What's your excuse?  My guess is you live here because it's easier to live somewhere you have a legacy and whine about it sucking than to either try and improve it or move.

To address your post:

I have no idea.  "BUY and large" is not a common phrase in the English language.  The idiot who wrote it in an attempt to mock me should probably explain its definition.  My best guess would be having something to do about buying a product and making sure it is large one.  But that's just inventing a meaning.

The phrase "by and large", on the other hand, is a common term used to mean "generally", "on the whole", "for the most part" or "all things considered".  In reference to jobs it would mean Tulsa is generally retaining jobs.  Describing a situation where retention of jobs is most common but not universal.  Such as when Employment in Tulsa is 12,000 off the all time high and holding fairly steady (fairly being a qualifying word, here indicating that some jobs are being lost and some added.  But on the whole more are being loss when looked at in a trend.).

I'm sorry these basic concepts escape you.  If any of the other words in this post exceed your ability please let me know and I'll explain.  I made sure to only use very common words and only a few are over 2 syllables.

My list is from items in the news the last couple of days.  It didn't include the new ballpark (which will fail), the success of the BOk Center (which will never work), the growing throngs that attend Dfest (which probably sucks), the stream of events at the PAC (which can't compete with other venues), the steady real estate market (which will surely crash), the ongoing and recently completed expansions in higher education at OSU, OU, TCC, NSU, Langston, and U Tulsa.  The improvement in roads that are just beginning.    Or however other many little tidbits of good news float around here.  I wasn't trying to compile a frivolous or expansive list, just throwing items of good news up that I saw in the last couple days.  Honestly, I thought the reaction would be to add to the list, not tear down the list.

And how is any item on that list short term?  The US Amateur I suppose is by definition short term, but so is hosting any major event.  Job creation/retention isn't short term.  The trend in employment and wage growth over the past decade isn't short term.

When the old guard of Tulsa is interesting in reminiscing the greatness of the past and doing its best to belittle and discourage any kind of progress, it's no wonder that Tulsa suffered such decline.  Everything on my small, short term list is good news for your community.  It's good news for your neighbors who work in Tulsa, the music venues you want to see stay open, and the restaurants you want to see open after 10pm.

I encourage people to discuss the items openly.  But you didn't address any of the points.  You just tried to crap on a little bit of good news for Tulsa.

Funny how you reactionaries remove the intent and replace it with drivel that was never said.

CF, look at Conan's set up in the second post. Posters at TNF buy and large bs.

You both feed off each other's blather.

In the 1944 unbowdlerized words of Gen. George Patton to his troops: "I don't want to get any messages saying, 'I am holding my position.' We are not holding a goddamned thing. Let the [reactionaries] do that. We are advancing constantly and we are not interested in holding onto anything, except the enemy's balls. We are going to twist his balls and kick the living sh!t out of him all of the time. Our basic plan of operation is to advance and to keep on advancing regardless of whether we have to go over, under, or through the enemy. We are going to go through him like crap through a goose, like sh!t through a tin horn."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:16:23 am by FOTD » Logged
FOTD
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 09:27:07 am »

What will it take to keep our children coming back to start families after they complete higher education?  Well for starters, I would like for more of them stay to get their educations, and people from different areas come here to get their educations. All kinds of jobs.  A full set of good, different, lifestyle options like; good urban neighborhoods and schools, good suburban neighborhoods and schools.  And yes, lots of fun and interesting things to see and do in a beautiful, safe environment. What do you think are the things we need?

FOTD has stated this over and over and over.

FOTD, just to observe, went out last night while Live Nation or EMG along with Aerosmith and ZZ were robbing the city, those bandits. Southside establishments were empty. Brookside, empty. CherryStreet empty. Downtown, empty until after the show. This weekend will be slow all over....everyone is spent. My point? This type of government welfare for entertainment does not work.

Just my own survey...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 09:50:08 am »

FOTD has stated this over and over and over.

FOTD, just to observe, went out last night while Live Nation or EMG along with Aerosmith and ZZ were robbing the city, those bandits. Southside establishments were empty. Brookside, empty. CherryStreet empty. Downtown, empty until after the show. This weekend will be slow all over....everyone is spent. My point? This type of government welfare for entertainment does not work.

Just my own survey...

Could someone decipher the above for me?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 09:50:59 am »

He lost me with the use of third person narrative.
FOTD
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 09:58:58 am »

In simple terms for the simple minded.....the government has no business building facilities that hinder or compete with free market capitalism. Especially when those funds should be earmarked for our public safety and public education.

It's done. It's a mistake. Oh well.

BOK Areema sure does not look to be doing anything for the area it sits in. It was a Manhattan Flintco fleecing of the taxpayer. It has had it's day. Next year, it will begin to flounder.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:00:30 am by FOTD » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 10:13:12 am »

FOTD:

You were not addressing Conan in your post I was responding to, you addressed me.  You quoted my text and responded.  It is safe to assume you were commenting on my post and addressing me.  But yes, Conan bated you into being an donkey again.  It isn't very difficult. 

No one mentioned "buy [sic] and large" but you.

You still failed to address the overall intent of this thread.  You hate the arena, don't give a damn about other peoples jobs, think the ball park is a bad idea, and on and on and on.  We get it.  This thread is titled "some items of good news" and all you have done is crap on the City of Tulsa in all regards. It's all you ever do.  Why are you here?  You aren't trying to make it better, just trying to make sure everyone knows you think it sucks.

I also feel the need to point out that you have changed your argument per the BOK Center.  Initially it was not going to be able to draw and big acts and would never turn a profit.  Since it has drawn a ton of big acts and turned a very healthy profit the argument has turned to "it is ruining all other businesses and can't sustain itself."   If you keep changing your argument eventually you'll hit one that works.  So congratulations ahead of time.

This forum is in danger of being the FOTD show with volumes of threads being discussing between himself and the next cut and paste article he posts.  Throw in a couple threads of him arguing with various posters about his typical theories and you have 33% of the posts.  So can we get back to talking more about good news for Tulsa and less about FOTD? 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
FOTD
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 10:51:36 am »

FOTD:

You were not addressing Conan in your post I was responding to, you addressed me.  You quoted my text and responded.  It is safe to assume you were commenting on my post and addressing me.  But yes, Conan bated you into being an donkey again.  It isn't very difficult. 

No one mentioned "buy [sic] and large" but you.

You still failed to address the overall intent of this thread.  You hate the arena, don't give a damn about other peoples jobs, think the ball park is a bad idea, and on and on and on.  We get it.  This thread is titled "some items of good news" and all you have done is crap on the City of Tulsa in all regards. It's all you ever do.  Why are you here?  You aren't trying to make it better, just trying to make sure everyone knows you think it sucks.

I also feel the need to point out that you have changed your argument per the BOK Center.  Initially it was not going to be able to draw and big acts and would never turn a profit.  Since it has drawn a ton of big acts and turned a very healthy profit the argument has turned to "it is ruining all other businesses and can't sustain itself."   If you keep changing your argument eventually you'll hit one that works.  So congratulations ahead of time.

This forum is in danger of being the FOTD show with volumes of threads being discussing between himself and the next cut and paste article he posts.  Throw in a couple threads of him arguing with various posters about his typical theories and you have 33% of the posts.  So can we get back to talking more about good news for Tulsa and less about FOTD? 

You totally misrepresnted my past statements. That makes you a liar. What was said about the areema was it would do well for a year or two but over the long term it will be a loser for the taxpayer.
Tell you what CF, FOTD will remove himself from this forum. Then you can press on with that Pollyannna attitude and without any discourse. This forum has never been in danger of my postings. And you do cut and paste too. So, what does that make you?

See ya.

* twosteps.jpg (10.29 KB - downloaded 245 times.)
* toughguy.jpg (29.86 KB - downloaded 245 times.)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 10:55:58 am »

So long to the man who offers nothing constructive.  You try to appear as if you have superior intellect and knowledge of all issues, yet the only thing you offer to back it up is telling everyone else they don't have a clue.

I guess that's a good strategy, if you really don't have a clue suggest everyone else is "cluelesser"

Buh Bye!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 11:20:33 am »

You totally misrepresnted my past statements. That makes you a liar. What was said about the areema was it would do well for a year or two but over the long term it will be a loser for the taxpayer.
Tell you what CF, FOTD will remove himself from this forum. Then you can press on with that Pollyannna attitude and without any discourse. This forum has never been in danger of my postings. And you do cut and paste too. So, what does that make you?

See ya.

Awww

dbacks fan
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 11:47:37 am »

See ya.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 12:03:28 pm »

You have contributed some useful stuff every now and then.  A chuckle here and there.  But by and large you have nothing positive to add and refuse constructive discussion.   Taking your ball and going home is yet another piece of evidence that you have no desire to improve anything.

See you when you pop in next time to proclaim how right you were (are) on something or other.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
rwarn17588
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 12:29:11 pm »

Tell you what CF, FOTD will remove himself from this forum.

Good riddance. And take that other forum-crapper, guido, with you.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 12:43:32 pm »

Welp...now that dad has finished slapping mom at the dinner table, shall we contribute more items of good news?

dbacks fan
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 01:03:05 pm »

Welp...now that dad has finished slapping mom at the dinner table, shall we contribute more items of good news?

Yes, please. Who is this Telecom Software company? Never mind, I went back and clicked on the story. It's Friday, what can I say?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 01:05:47 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 07:18:20 pm »

I'd also like to point out that the company isn't involved in Telecom at all. It does write software that operates on mobile devices (iPhone, PocketPC, RIMM, etc)...

I just felt compelled to clarify that.  Cheesy

---Robert
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org