A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:35:23 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Signs of the Times  (Read 17507 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 10:50:57 am »

pmcalk is correct.

If the policy is to explicitly allow commercial speech for one group of people on easements, right of ways, and other city controlled property but to forbid other forms of speech; there could be a problem.   

Also, I'd be interested to see if there is a definition of "real estate broker."  If I own a rent home can I do so, or must I have some other qualification?  And if so, why does what criteria may exist enable a person special privileges to city controlled property?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 11:28:02 am »

Are not election laws usually different?

Can there not be special rules on limiting signage, contributions, even who can hold office?

Power is nothing till you use it.
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 11:45:09 am »

Are not election laws usually different?

Can there not be special rules on limiting signage, contributions, even who can hold office?

There is a difference between laws that govern the qualification to hold office and laws that deal with the First Amendment.  The Constitution guarentees your right to free speech; it does not guarentee your right to run for office.  Yes, you can regulate signage, but it must be content-neutral.  If the government allows speech in a location, it must allow all speech (except perhaps obscene material).  Again, you can ban all signs in the right of way, since that is content-neutral.  But you cannot ban political (protected) speech, while allowing commercial (unprotected) speech.

Contribution limitations are always suspect, since the Supreme Court has said that money is the same as speech.  Of course, we currently have limits, but the McCain-Feingold is to be reconsidered by the Supreme Court this fall.  We will see what happens.

Grizzle4D8
Sofa King Banned
Citizen

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 05:17:34 pm »

I believe that that ordinance refers to real estate signs that are posted on private property, not in the right of way.  My point was that real estate signs are posted in the right of way all of the time, without consequences.  Political speech cannot be more restricted than commercial speech.  If you allow commercial speech in the right of way (i.e., real estate signs), you cannot prohibit political speech without violating the first amendment.  It is my understanding that no signs--commercial or political--are allowed in the right of way, which is a content-neutral (and therefore appropriate) rule.  But it isn't enforced consistently, which makes it questionable.  Unless the city starts pulling up real estate signs, pulling up political signs could result in a lawsuit.

51 TRO 3107.5.3.2

Sale or Rent-Added. No permit shall be required for ground signs erected to announce the sale or rent of property, provided that such signs are not more than twenty-five (25) square feet in area.
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 06:51:36 pm »

51 TRO 3107.5.3.2

Sale or Rent-Added. No permit shall be required for ground signs erected to announce the sale or rent of property, provided that such signs are not more than twenty-five (25) square feet in area.

Again, that deals with signs on private property, not right of way.  3107.4: 
Where more restrictive in respect to location, purpose, size or height of signs, the limitations of Tulsa's Zoning Code, Title 42, Tulsa Revised
Ordinances that affect required light and ventilation requirements and occupancy of land shall take precedence over the regulations of this code.

From 42, section 1221(C)(14):
No sign shall be permitted in the right-of-way or planned right-of-way as designated by the Major Street and Highway Plan....

You can put a real estate sign on private property, and leave it for as long as you want (which probably means that the time restriction on political signs violates the First Amendment).  But you cannot put it in the right-of-way.  People do anyway.

Grizzle4D8
Sofa King Banned
Citizen

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 03:26:37 am »

You can put a real estate sign on private property, and leave it for as long as you want (which probably means that the time restriction on political signs violates the First Amendment).  But you cannot put it in the right-of-way.  People do anyway.

Complaint Desk: http://cityoftulsa.org/reporting/advertising-sign-violations.aspx
Grizzle4D8
Sofa King Banned
Citizen

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 01:43:51 am »

The City of Tulsa is recruiting volunteers to help rid areas of illegal signs.

A training session for the first 12 volunteers is scheduled August 21 at City Hall and the registration deadline is August 14.

Illegal signs litter the rights-of-way along city streets. The City of Tulsa is seeking volunteers to help with regular removal of such signs. Volunteers will receive classroom instruction and then go to the field with professional sign and site inspectors.

The Tulsa Beautification Foundation and Quik Trip Corp. are providing refreshments and food for the training session.

This is the latest step in the City's ongoing efforts to control illegal signage in rights-of-way along Tulsa streets.

The City's Inspection Services section has added a Sign and Site Administration program through the aid of a grant from the Tulsa Beautification Foundation. Additional assistance is needed to control illegal signs in Tulsa's nearly 200 square miles of land.

Volunteers are expected to:

* Complete the volunteer training course
    * Sign liability release forms
    * Sign an oath to adhere to City ordinances, rules and procedures
    * Have a valid driver's license
    * Commit to a land area and number of daytime hours for working
    * Submit to a background check.

Volunteers will be assigned to specific areas.

Apply here:  http://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/30435/sign_volunt_application.pdf
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 05:28:19 am »

So the Sign Gestapo want a dirty dozen sign removers to help disenfranchise citizens of Tulsa during this election cycle.

And the suspect timing:  A few weeks before the City of Tulsa Primary Election. 

How HANDY!

What else is new here in the Banana Republic of Tulsa?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:53:17 am by Friendly Bear » Logged
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 08:37:09 am »

So the Sign Gestapo want a dirty dozen sign removers to help disenfranchise citizens of Tulsa during this election cycle.

What else is new here in the Banana Republic of Tulsa?
Finding volunteers to help enforce the law? THAT'S CRAZY!1!!

Remember, it is all Kaiser's fault...

---Robert
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 08:51:44 am »

They could spend 12 hours per day pulling illegally placed Realtor For Sale Signs out of the city easement.

Enforce the 12' city easement from curbline on the Realtors, too.

And, the FISBO signs, too.

And, For Rent or Lease signs.

Garage Sale, signs.

Estate Sale, signs.

Signs, signs, everywhere a sign. 

Except, if you're not Bartlett, Jr. or Adledson, the Sign Gestapo is going to confiscate your campaign signs, wherever and whenever they can get their sticky mitts on them....

P.S.  and, drive around with them tossed into the back of a City Truck until after the Primary, so you can't timely reclaim them as promised....

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:04:12 am by Friendly Bear » Logged
Grizzle4D8
Sofa King Banned
Citizen

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2009, 02:03:10 pm »

Signs, signs, everywhere a sign. 

Except, if you're not Bartlett, Jr. or Adledson, the Sign Gestapo is going to confiscate your campaign signs, wherever and whenever they can get their sticky mitts on them....

P.S.  and, drive around with them tossed into the back of a City Truck until after the Primary, so you can't timely reclaim them as promised....

Welcome to the GREAT American Democracy HARD At Work!  If ya don't like it, LEAVE.  AND, don't let da damn door hit ya where da sun don't shine.   Grin
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2009, 04:34:49 pm »

I've spotted a Bartlett, Jr. campaign sign ONE FOOT from the Curb Line. 
And, it's BIG sign.

Am I deputized to confiscate the sign on behalf of the Sign Gestapo?

Do I get a badge?
Grizzle4D8
Sofa King Banned
Citizen

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2009, 04:45:11 pm »

And, it's BIG sign.

Do I get a badge?

Go git 'em, big boy!  Kick 'em ALL down, DAMMIT.  And, don't forget to take the pix for the rest of us to enjoy!  Beat 'em in da belly.  Stick it in their smelly!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 04:46:42 pm by Grizzle4D8 » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2009, 05:03:01 pm »

And, it's BIG sign.

Do I get a badge?
You can get a gun with ONE bullet that you have to keep in your pocket.

shadows
City Father

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 10:32:51 pm »

I am confused again as not sure who we are electing.  I thought the election was for representatives of city districts who sat on the council.   There is the perpetual bureaucracy in the glass tower that has assumes the unauthorized authority of being the master over the needs of all the voters to be informed.   Is this called democracy?  I remember a fellow name Quinn who took a chain saw and removed a 4x8 political sign from a Tulsa City Park that was allowed by the city masters to be installed. 

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org