A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:08:38 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Awesomely Bad Tulsa Architecture  (Read 12859 times)
GG
Philanthropist

« on: July 14, 2009, 06:25:43 pm »

http://irritatedtulsan.wordpress.com/2009/07/14/more/

Trust but verify
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:26:40 pm »

Not necessarily my opinion, but an interesting list to start a conversation.   

Trust but verify
Steve
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:57:52 pm »

Apparently, the person that put up this web site has absolutely zero appreciation for mid-twentieth century architecture.  I find about 85% of the structures on this list to be Tulsa landmarks, great architecture, and worthy of preservation.

There is no accounting for taste.  I bet the author of this "awesomely bad" site lives in some fake stucco "tuscan" monstrosity of a home, in a gated community, with no appreciation whatsoever for architectural history. 
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 07:49:47 pm »

A really bad list of bad architecture. There's some really great buildings on that list.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 07:59:18 pm »

Apparently, the person that put up this web site has absolutely zero appreciation for mid-twentieth century architecture.  I find about 85% of the structures on this list to be Tulsa landmarks, great architecture, and worthy of preservation.

There is no accounting for taste.  I bet the author of this "awesomely bad" site lives in some fake stucco "tuscan" monstrosity of a home, in a gated community, with no appreciation whatsoever for architectural history. 

Or better yet, dude probably lives in a mobile home in the middle of Elba Terrace....

Grin

That's sorta gated....if you consider foot-tall speed bumps a deterrent.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:07:13 pm »

I vaguely remember that sort of thing being humorous or satirical when I was 30. I see neither of those things on that blog as an old fart. I missed any parody altogether. Frankly, its hard to be humorous, relevant and cool between the age of 30 and 50. That's just the truth. Smiley Tulsa needs some humor, but I don't think that's what we have in mind.

I liked almost all of those buildings for different reasons.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 08:09:14 pm »

Or better yet, dude probably lives in a mobile home in the middle of Elba Terrace....

Grin

That's sorta gated....if you consider foot-tall speed bumps a deterrent.

Hey now, I know three people that live in Elba Terrace, and I actually like two of them.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 08:42:42 pm »

Hey now, I know three people that live in Elba Terrace, and I actually like two of them.

A good friend of mine lives there now, and an inlaw used to live there.  That's the only reason I dropped the name, because it was the only name of a trailer park I could think of!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
joiei
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 04:57:53 am »

I agree,  when I read the list I was thinking, what is this guy missing.  ORU is an outstanding piece of architectural design. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 08:46:19 am »

The one thing that stands out about most of these buildings is that they're unique.  Love 'em or hate 'em, they stand out for a reason.  Most of them add a sort of quirky uniqueness or character to the city.  Having something to love or hate is not necessarily a bad thing.

My personal list of awesomely bad "architecture" would be filled with the bland, essentially identical commercial buildings and homes that define new construction.  Do these buildings even HAVE architects?  Or are they simply "engineered?"  (Or was the very first one designed by an architecture school dropout...and the next several thousand were essentially duplicates?)

I laugh when I see the photos of homes for sale in the real estate section.  Each one appears to be a garage with living quarters in the rear.  So it's funny when realtors try to describe the design.  The blank garage door IS the design.  (Dominating the front of the house, it's the "focal point.")  Fancy garage doors are referred to as "French Provencial" or "Tuscan Villa."  Plain garage doors mark the home as a "charming cottage."

I hate the fact that we line our arterial streets with such half-a$sed, inane commercial "design" that the buildings are essentially fungible.  The only distinction is the corporate logo on the side.  99% of them will have a "design detail" I think of as the "barn vent" or "guard tower."  It's the little bit that sticks up with the triangular rooftop.  These are everywhere.  A ubiquitous design cliche.   (In a barn, they actually allow the hot air to rise up out of the hay loft and prevent fires.  In a prison, it's where the guards hang out with rifles, ready to shoot escapees.

In Tulsa, when a developer is getting ready to paste another of these boxes with barn vents on our landscape, they call it "prairie style."  And nobody laughs at them.  That's how little we know about architecture.  Sigh.
dbacks fan
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 09:03:53 am »

Here's an interesting one in Phoenix......

I happen to like alot of the architecture in Tulsa because it is an interesting and eclectic mix. You can see the time line of Tulsa's growth with the different styles. My wife has only been to Tulsa a few times and the one thing she always talks about is the different styles of buildings.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:12:29 am by dbacks fan » Logged
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 09:15:35 am »

Here's an example of what passes for "architecture" on modern commercial buildings:  "pointy heads" on every building!

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 09:24:02 am »

Good grief y'all, it's just an opinion about some buildings. Pity he/she is not as enlightened as those in this thread when it comes to architecture.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hometown
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 11:51:35 am »

Here's an example of what passes for "architecture" on modern commercial buildings:  "pointy heads" on every building!

This is what came after Modernism.  It's the current rage and it's called Post-Modernism.  It started around 1980 with Philip Johnson's AT&T Tower in NYC.  That’s the one with a broken Pediment roof. 

I see all these recent big a** roofs as a reaction to the flat roofs of Modernism.  They are kind of like the architectural equivalent of "Big Hair." 

You think you are tired of these roofs now, wait another 10 years and you'll be totally revolted.  Wait 100 years and you'll be charmed.  That's how fashion works.

p.s.  The example here is typical of Tulsa's more recent architecture.  It's an engineer designed knock off repeated thousands of time.  "Cheap" is the defining principal.  Old Tulsa would have hired an architect and had a unique product.  Old Tulsa had class.  New Tulsa is cheap.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:54:32 am by Hometown » Logged
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 01:56:27 pm »

Makes sense on a barn...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org