A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:58:02 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ME's accreditation lost  (Read 7086 times)
Wilbur
« on: July 02, 2009, 05:12:24 pm »

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0709/637082.html

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10637694

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090702_16_A1_OKLAHO593908

Is the state legislature embarrassed enough yet?  After how many years of under funding?

Oklahoma sets a new low score record from the national group that accredits ME offices.

Lows scores attributed to not enough personnel.

Hello!
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:13:34 am »

Which is why they will revamp the MEs office by closing Tulsa's ME.  TPD is one of the best in the nation at solving crimes that are investigated, clearly we can't really attribute that to ME work.

And yes, it is damn embarrassing. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 06:39:34 am »

Is the Tulsa PD still under some kind of Federal oversight for its racist tendencies?  I would think the Examiner's office here in River City is not too different from any of our other institutions, they just have to deal with the rest of our state when the corruption and incompetence gets too stanky.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 07:15:10 am »

TPD is one of the best in the nation at solving crimes that are investigated,

Interesting (but I find the qualifier a bit amusing).  mind sharing your source? 

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 07:55:23 am »

Interesting (but I find the qualifier a bit amusing).  mind sharing your source? 

I wish I could source something and spent a moment trying to find a written source.  It was from an interview with a police detective (or PR man?) at the beginning of the summer on KRMG doing a followup on the Sweeny murder.  Essentially that the TPD has among the best success rates at solving crimes following a formal investigation, specifically he said their success was among the best for murder investigations and he gave a percent.

Sorry I am unable to support that contention with anything but my memory of that interview.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 09:20:19 am »

Why is it that Tulsa, being one of only 9 places in the nation with a federally-accredited forensics training program, should have to ship their work to OKC, why not vice-versa? surely they don't change per-mile to fedex bodies.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 01:37:31 pm »

Why is it that Tulsa, being one of only 9 places in the nation with a federally-accredited forensics training program, should have to ship their work to OKC, why not vice-versa? surely they don't change per-mile to fedex bodies.

I think it's more like 25 in the nation, but your point seems reasonable.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 02:00:38 pm »

I think it's more like 25 in the nation, but your point seems reasonable.

Actually it's 8

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090221_11_A13_Offici815608&archive=yes
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 04:08:23 pm »

Well, gosh, if the Tulsa World said it, it must be true.  On the other hand, here is the list according to the AAFS Forensic Science Education Programs Accreditation Commission, you know, the ones who actually do the accrediting.  http://www.aafs.org/default.asp?section_id=resources&page_id=accredited_programs

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 04:13:56 pm »

You guys are arguing about different accreditation.  Oil Capital is arguing in regards to a private foundation's standards.  Grizzle is arguing about "federally-accredited forensics training program(s)".   You are comparing apples and oranges, who's to say which is better.  Certainly I'm not going to bother looking at their underlying criteria.

Mostly because it doesn't matter.  Apparently OSU Tulsa makes both lists and joins only North Texas as accredited by either institution in the entire region.  The next closet to North Texas is Houston, Chicago or Denver.  So the hell with the details . . .

Tulsa has better personnel and equipment to manage an ME office to the exclusion of anywhere else int he state (or in Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, or New Mexico for that matter).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 07:15:39 pm »

Well, gosh, if the Tulsa World said it, it must be true.  On the other hand, here is the list according to the AAFS Forensic Science Education Programs Accreditation Commission, you know, the ones who actually do the accrediting.  http://www.aafs.org/default.asp?section_id=resources&page_id=accredited_programs

You might want to count the number of colleges who are fully accredited and offer a masters in forensic science. The list you gave includes schools that are accredited and offer SOME forensic coursework.

I never said I was talking about ME certification, I was just arguing that if they have to put all of the state ME work in one location, Tulsa makes far more sense. Kinda like if you have to have a statewide vetmed office, it should be in stillwater, etc.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 10:43:03 am »

You might want to count the number of colleges who are fully accredited and offer a masters in forensic science. The list you gave includes schools that are accredited and offer SOME forensic coursework.

I never said I was talking about ME certification, I was just arguing that if they have to put all of the state ME work in one location, Tulsa makes far more sense. Kinda like if you have to have a statewide vetmed office, it should be in stillwater, etc.

What the Tulsa World SHOULD have said is that OSU is one of only 8 nationally accredited GRADUATE forensics programs.  THAT would have been a true statement.  It is NOT one of only 8 nationally accredited forensics programs, as shown in my prior post.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 10:54:54 am by Oil Capital » Logged

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 10:45:27 am »

You guys are arguing about different accreditation.  Oil Capital is arguing in regards to a private foundation's standards.  Grizzle is arguing about "federally-accredited forensics training program(s)".   You are comparing apples and oranges, who's to say which is better.  Certainly I'm not going to bother looking at their underlying criteria.

Mostly because it doesn't matter.  Apparently OSU Tulsa makes both lists and joins only North Texas as accredited by either institution in the entire region.  The next closet to North Texas is Houston, Chicago or Denver.  So the hell with the details . . .

Tulsa has better personnel and equipment to manage an ME office to the exclusion of anywhere else int he state (or in Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, or New Mexico for that matter).

Not sure where you came up with that little bit.  Grizzle and I were indeed talking about the same accreditation.  It's just that the Tulsa World, which he had relied on, got it wrong.  See above.

And, as to it not mattering, I already said in my first post on the topic that it did not affect Grizzle's larger point one way or the other.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 01:56:09 pm »

I was relying, apparently in error, on the Tulsa world article.  They referenced "Federally Accredited" and you referenced a different accreditation system.  Hence, if there is no Federal accreditation my comments would make no sense to someone in the know.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org