A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:59:37 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign Contribution and Fundraising Caps  (Read 5214 times)
Jitter Free
« on: July 06, 2009, 07:43:10 pm »

Looking for your input on whether or not it would be a good idea to place campaign contribution and fundraising caps on muncipal elections.   

For example, any candiate for mayor may only receive campaign contributions (from either the candidate himself/herself or any other person, group or PAC) including services rendered for free in the aggregate amount of $400,000. 

For example, any canidate for city council may only receive campaign contributions (from either the candidate himself/herself or any other person, group or PAC) including services rendered for free in the aggregate amount of $25,000.

FOTD
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 08:06:05 pm »

Looking for your input on whether or not it would be a good idea to place campaign contribution and fundraising caps on muncipal elections.   

For example, any candiate for mayor may only receive campaign contributions (from either the candidate himself/herself or any other person, group or PAC) including services rendered for free in the aggregate amount of $400,000. 

For example, any canidate for city council may only receive campaign contributions (from either the candidate himself/herself or any other person, group or PAC) including services rendered for free in the aggregate amount of $25,000.

Hell no. This demon wants to watch two elitists spend $1,000,000 each.

Meanwhile, just try to get your Senator and Congressman to put caps on campain spending. The government should pay the limit and we'd see more competent people running our lives. Stop the buying of elections.
Bat Bat
Activist

Holy haberdashery, Batman!

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:50:57 pm »

Limits are needed!!!!  It's sad when $1,000,000 plus dollars is needed to run for the mayor of little Tulsa, Okahoma.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:46:47 pm »

When I worked in advertising, I loved campaigns!  That piece of self-disclosure aside, I think they should cap all campaign funds at whatever the annual salary is for the position.  $1mm simply to wind up taking the ration of smile that comes with running Tulsa?  Pass.  I think I'd blow about 1/2 that on a large catamaran and play around in the Caribbean with the balance of it for a couple or three years.  Whole lot less stress.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:00:31 pm »

When I worked in advertising, I loved campaigns!  That piece of self-disclosure aside, I think they should cap all campaign funds at whatever the annual salary is for the position.  $1mm simply to wind up taking the ration of smile that comes with running Tulsa?  Pass.  I think I'd blow about 1/2 that on a large catamaran and play around in the Caribbean with the balance of it for a couple or three years.  Whole lot less stress.

You'd reimburse each final candidate $50,000 on the condition they verify expenditures after they win the primary which they can fund personally up to $50,000.
Put the campain adman (the m is missing!) out of business. Tough. They've ruined politics. Guys like that Davis clown....

* mccorkell.jpg (54.16 KB - downloaded 273 times.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:20:30 pm by FOTD » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 11:03:25 pm »

And FOTD insists pot doesn't do permanent brain damage.  Anyone else here get that I thought the ceiling should be $1mm after saying they ought to cap at whatever the annual salary is?   Roll Eyes

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 07:27:19 am »

Limits are needed!!!!  It's sad when $1,000,000 plus dollars is needed to run for the mayor of little Tulsa, Okahoma.

+1.

HOWEVER, it is a more difficult argument since we have freedom of speech in this country.  Political speech being the most important speech.  And campaign ads, banners, and signs being a form of political speech.  If Kathy Taylor wants to spend $1mil of her dollars telling the public how great she is, she has a right to do so. 

If you place limits on spending you have other issues to deal with:  if my friend has a talk show, can he interview me and not the other 6 opponents?  What if I am a talk show host or in some other position where I can constantly seen?   Can other groups buy signs or ads if they want to get me elected?  Can individuals do so?   What if I don't have to work and have all my free time to stump speech and rub elbows but my opponent has to work a 9-5, can he hire a campaign manager to take care of that stuff for him?

I wish it would work out to limit the funding so simply.  It is a great idea.  But in reality I'm not sure how well it would work and I'm not sure it would be constitutional.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
FOTD
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 07:44:31 am »

+1.

HOWEVER, it is a more difficult argument since we have freedom of speech in this country.  Political speech being the most important speech.  And campaign ads, banners, and signs being a form of political speech.  If Kathy Taylor wants to spend $1mil of her dollars telling the public how great she is, she has a right to do so. 

If you place limits on spending you have other issues to deal with:  if my friend has a talk show, can he interview me and not the other 6 opponents?  What if I am a talk show host or in some other position where I can constantly seen?   Can other groups buy signs or ads if they want to get me elected?  Can individuals do so?   What if I don't have to work and have all my free time to stump speech and rub elbows but my opponent has to work a 9-5, can he hire a campaign manager to take care of that stuff for him?

I wish it would work out to limit the funding so simply.  It is a great idea.  But in reality I'm not sure how well it would work and I'm not sure it would be constitutional.

How would we ever know?

Buying elections is so American.

It was not neccessary for the founding fathers. Their integrity spoke for them....not their campain managers.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 07:54:38 am »

I'm okay with limits on per-person contribution but I don't believe you should limit what someone can spend on themselves. That's just unamerican.

You act like this is democracy when in fact it's Nascar.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 08:02:12 am »

How would we ever know?

Buying elections is so American.

It was not neccessary for the founding fathers. Their integrity spoke for them....not their campain managers.

Really?

I think you may need to recheck your history books,

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/08/22/mf.campaign.slurs.slogans/index.html

FOTD
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 10:44:54 am »

Really?

I think you may need to recheck your history books,

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/08/22/mf.campaign.slurs.slogans/index.html

Nothing pertaining to "buying" the election. Mud slinging permitted. Just like it is here.

Only Conan hires out......
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 12:56:59 pm »

Nothing pertaining to "buying" the election. Mud slinging permitted. Just like it is here.

Only Conan hires out......

Heh, you flatter me

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org