A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:44:57 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christiansen not running for Mayor  (Read 2558 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: July 02, 2009, 01:10:14 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090702_11_0_Ctonio786223

Tulsa councilor Christiansen announces re-election bid  
By BRIAN BARBER World Staff Writer
Published: 7/2/2009  1:54 PM

City Councilor Bill Christiansen announced Thursday he is seeking re-election to the District 8 seat he has held since 2002 instead of running for mayor.

The Republican said he still has a lot more work he wants to do for the city and south Tulsa on the council.

“I hope the citizens of District 8 feel I’ve done a good job,” he said. “I’ve worked very hard to represent them and take care of their needs and issues. I look forward to representing them for another two years.”

Christiansen, 61, who owns Christiansen Aviation, said he was seriously considering a run for mayor since incumbent Kathy Taylor bowed out of the race.

Christiansen said that with the current economy, he realized it would be difficult to raise the money needed to mount an effective mayoral campaign.

“It would be tough for me to go to the good citizens of Tulsa and ask them to contribute when they are having trouble making ends meet at home,” he said.

On the council, Christiansen said, he wants to maintain his involvement with improving the city’s planning and zoning processes and making them more transparent.

He also said he wants to continue his “fiscally conservative spending ways,” identifying waste in city government.

So far, those who have officially announced campaigns for mayor include Democrats Tom Adelson and Robert Gwin Jr., and Republicans Dewey Bartlett Jr. and Clay Clark. The municipal election filing period is July 13 to 15.

The primary will be Sept. 8, while the general election is Nov. 10. There are no runoff elections.

Surprise, surprise, surprise!

Power is nothing till you use it.
Wilbur
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 05:06:14 pm »

Actually, he can claim money, but the real reason is he can't beat the other (R)'s who have already announced.
Limabean
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 08:06:53 pm »

Councilor Christiansen may have had a hard fight in midtown but over all he would have been the better Republican candidate to represent all of Tulsa.

I am one republican who is sorry that he is not running.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 08:11:53 am »

He said on the radio today that there are 2 strong candidates in the race already, but he'd love to run for mayor if he could afford it.  He figured it may take up to $1-$2,000,000 to run a successful campaign.  With the primary costing at least $100,000.   

He made the comment that he "worked for every penny his family has" and that he can't afford to finance himself in the amounts of some other people.  He then expressed regret that the cost was so high as it keeps many people out of the race.

I agree with his sentiment.  But I am hard pressed to come up with a good solution.  If Mr. X has $1bil and wants to spend HIS money freely talking about how great HE is and why HE should be elected . . . it is a dubious proposition to tell him he can not. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org