A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:25:28 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New I-244 Bridge  (Read 186381 times)
Composer
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:01:18 pm »

Tulsa, INCOG, and ODOT are going to be requesting funds to replace the I-244 bridge over the Arkansas River. 
It would be great if we could get something that would represent Tulsa's past but also be progressive and iconic.  Maybe and Art Deco bridge???
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:29:13 pm »

Tulsa, INCOG, and ODOT are going to be requesting funds to replace the I-244 bridge over the Arkansas River. 
It would be great if we could get something that would represent Tulsa's past but also be progressive and iconic.  Maybe and Art Deco bridge???

At this point I'd just be satisfied with something that I didn't fear would drop me in the drink every time I drove over it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
waterboy
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 05:53:51 am »

maybe this time they could clean up the remains of the last few bridges that the contractor just plops in the river? Huge chunks of concrete and rebar make for a treacherous area beneath the bridges. tough on my boat hulls.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 07:27:58 am »

maybe this time they could clean up the remains of the last few bridges that the contractor just plops in the river? Huge chunks of concrete and rebar make for a treacherous area beneath the bridges. tough on my boat hulls.

Most definitely, and I think it would include such a clean-up.  The part that intrigues me is that the rail line would be placed under the road on the bridge, does that mean the existing rail bridge would be demolished as well?  That would be much better having the 11th/SW Blvd. bridge, Avery 'pedestrian' bridge, and then just one large bridge for I-244 and the rail line.  Hopefully they add some style to it.  It doesn't have to be a cable-stayed suspension bridge but maybe an arch or at least some interesting lighting could really make it standout as a landmark within Tulsa, much like the 23rd St. bridge.  Maybe something like the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi between Arkansas and Tennessee but smaller with one arch in the middle:

What we have currently, a jumbled mess right by downtown:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 07:32:14 am by SXSW » Logged

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:46:21 am »

Cities that look new, shiny, interesting, or whatever have bridges that are a notch above plane functional bridges.  Some concrete stamped details in the side.  Texture.  Stained a different color.  A facade even.  Or maybe just painted or a couple lights.

Nearly all the bridges in Tulsa are "as cheap as possible with no frills at all.  Given that a bridge is a centerpiece that travelers HAVE to look at, we are missing an easy way to give a positive impression. 

I notice that every time I travel.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 10:52:10 am »

Nearly all the bridges in Tulsa are "as cheap as possible with no frills at all.  Given that a bridge is a centerpiece that travelers HAVE to look at, we are missing an easy way to give a positive impression. 

It was in keeping with the "Oklahoma is OK".  I hope we decide to do better.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 12:51:11 pm »

Nearly all the bridges in Tulsa are "as cheap as possible with no frills at all.

Some of the bridges along I-44 in Tulsa (where Lewis crossses I-44 and also where I-44 crosses Darlington off the top of my head) have a neat metal mesh railing that was kinda cool to look at. I would, of course, like something grand to make our highways more attractive, but even a small detail like those railings would be a welcome sight.

---Robert
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 01:25:10 pm »

I remember as a kid visiting Pittsburgh and seeing all the cool bridges and wondering why Tulsa didn't have the same.  I now realize Pittsburgh built those bridges in the late 19th century and early 20th century when that was how bridges were built, and also the rivers in Pittsburgh are navigable for boats and barges making larger spans necessary.  In Tulsa the majority of the bridges minus the Pedestrian bridge, Avery bridge, and old Jenks bridge were built in the mid to late 20th century and not since French fur traders plied the water has the river been navigable for boats (minus rowboats on Zink Lake and waterboy's airboat, of course).  So that is why we have such boring, functional bridges.  It would be nice to break the trend though with this very highly visible bridge (second only to I-44) and also on the proposed Gilcrease Expy. bridge.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 01:42:44 pm »

SXWX,

I'm talking regular highway overpasses in Kansas City, Denver, Des Moines, Minneapolis and their suburbs.  Just an underpass, not grand navigable bridge spans.  Just details on regular old bridges - that we all drive under every day.  That all look very uninviting and dilapidated, if not just plane and cheap.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 02:20:14 pm »

I vote for putting I244 under the river  Grin
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 03:15:55 pm »

Anyone have any news on the I-244 bridge?

I saw this little tidbit in the TW story about Kaiser's recent philanthropy that was interesting (and encouraging).  I'd much rather see an architect design our new 244 bridge than ODOT...

The Interstate 244 bridge, for which the foundation has provided an architect.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20090817_16_A1_TheGeo807746

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am »

I'd much rather see an architect design our new 244 bridge than ODOT...

+1.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 12:25:24 pm »

I saw that, too, and I'm excited to hear it!  Kaiser could do a lot for Tulsa just by paying architect's fees for various buildings and structures. 

Far too much of Tulsa has been "designed" by engineers (and national chains) in recent decades.  Somewhere in the past decades we went from cutting edge, beautiful, unique architecture to: "what's the cheapest thing I can build?"

Can't wait to see the design.  And certainly hope/expect it will include the rail option.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 02:27:27 pm »

Can't wait to see the design.  And certainly hope/expect it will include the rail option.

Me too.  I like the idea of consolidating the three bridges into one.

TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 06:35:50 am »

I remember as a kid visiting Pittsburgh and seeing all the cool bridges and wondering why Tulsa didn't have the same.  I now realize Pittsburgh built those bridges in the late 19th century and early 20th century when that was how bridges were built, and also the rivers in Pittsburgh are navigable for boats and barges making larger spans necessary.  In Tulsa the majority of the bridges minus the Pedestrian bridge, Avery bridge, and old Jenks bridge were built in the mid to late 20th century and not since French fur traders plied the water has the river been navigable for boats (minus rowboats on Zink Lake and waterboy's airboat, of course).  So that is why we have such boring, functional bridges.  It would be nice to break the trend though with this very highly visible bridge (second only to I-44) and also on the proposed Gilcrease Expy. bridge.

I enjoy watching Pittsburg Pirates home games, not for the team but for the view behind centerfield.  I wish Tulsa had something like that.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org