A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:12:05 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barney Frank Files Bill To Decriminalize Pot  (Read 35774 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2009, 04:30:38 pm »

though the issues of separating mentally from an addiction is a whole other can of worms.

Which is why I don't and will not own a Wii.  A sweet, sweet Nintendo Wii.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Wilbur
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2009, 05:30:22 pm »

Don't buy the argument that marijuana is needed for some medical cases, as, marinol, which is a marijuana alternative for medical reasons, works the same.  Those that argue against marinol are only pissed that you don't get high when you use it.

I'm on the fence for legalizing marijuana.  Although, there are even people within DEA who say marijuana will be legal within the next couple of years.

Ultimately, it will come down to a state issue, and Oklahoma will be last to legalize it (can you say tattoo?)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2009, 05:46:16 pm »

Don't buy the argument that marijuana is needed for some medical cases, as, marinol, which is a marijuana alternative for medical reasons, works the same.  Those that argue against marinol are only pissed that you don't get high when you use it.

I'm on the fence for legalizing marijuana.  Although, there are even people within DEA who say marijuana will be legal within the next couple of years.

Ultimately, it will come down to a state issue, and Oklahoma will be last to legalize it (can you say tattoo?)

I'd think that since it's one of the largest cash crops in Oklahoma, OK might be smart enough to get on board with it early (can you say tax stamps?).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Cherish
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2009, 11:04:31 pm »

Does Marinol make you write incredibly deep intense drawn out 20 page A+ essays?   Grin hehe

Friedrich Nietzsche - Pot Head "If one seeks relief from unbearable pressure one is to eat hashish "

President John Adams - Pot Head "We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption."

Louis Armstrong - Pot Head "We always looked at pot as a sort of medicine, a cheap drunk and with much better thoughts than one that's full of liquor."

Louisa May Alcott - Pot Head (Chocolate Bon Bon covered ones too!)

Queen Victoria - Pot Head -"When pure and administered carefully, [cannabis] one of the of the most valuable medicines we possess."

George Washington -Pot Head and Grower "Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere."

Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin - Potheads and Growers "Hemp farmer Thomas Jefferson and paper maker Ben Franklin were ambassadors to France during the initial surge of the hashish vogue. Jefferson smuggled Chinese hemp seeds to America."

I wonder if T. J. was high when he thought of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  I wonder why they stopped producing money from hemp.  Hemp can be made to produce SOOO much material. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:40:40 pm by Cherish » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2009, 07:22:06 am »

. . .

Marinol is a registered trademark of Solvay Pharmaceuticals and is sold as a prescription drug.  Thus, it has the complication and cost associated with it of any prescription drug.  While smoking marijuana is cheap and readily available.  On the plus side, there is no reported cases of anyone ever overdosing on the drug and the side effects include "an exaggerated sense of well-being."   I'm surprised it isn't used more frankly:  stimulate appetite, suppress nausea, pain relief, sleep aid . . . man, what can't it do!

But I agree, it will be a State issue and unless Jesus appears before some Tulsa pastor or Bob Stoops comes out in favor of it . . . Oklahoma will be 10-20 years behind the curve.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2009, 01:00:14 pm »

Marinol is only effective for a subset of the conditions marijuana is effective for.

There is a middle ground between smoking enough to have medicinal effects and getting stoned out of your mind, you know.  Tongue

Many years ago when I came down with a four day bout of a particularly severe gastroenteritis (think constant evacuation from both ends simultaneously) the only thing that would quiet the symptoms long enough to get any rest was marijuana. Even that would only last an hour at a time, but when you've been..suffering for several hours, you take what you can get. Pepto Bismol just resulted in pink vomit.

Maybe if I had been able to get myself to a doctor (which would have required the evacuation to stop long enough to get there, which was unlikely at best), I might have been able to get a prescription for a topical antiemetic, which given my history with both forms of Dramamine (they nauseate me, ironic, eh?) wouldn't have been helpful. Without the unconventional treatment I probably would have ended up in the hospital with severe dehydration if not electrolyte imbalance.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2009, 02:42:31 pm »

There is a middle ground between smoking enough to have medicinal effects and getting stoned out of your mind, you know.  Tongue

So I'm told, anyhow.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2009, 02:52:35 pm »

'Scuse me, I just spit vodka all over my computer screen.  I suppose it isn't in the hands of people who have balance in their life but try and pass that line of BS off on someone who has struggled with substance abuse and addiction, you won't get very far.

When I read this, this is all I can think of :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtqBHu2P0_E

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
FOTD
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2009, 02:54:54 pm »

So I'm told, anyhow.

Conan, you self medicator...

JNE: LINK OF THE DAY!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:57:08 pm by FOTD » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2009, 03:27:37 pm »

JNE: LINK OF THE DAY!

+1

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2009, 04:18:08 pm »

+1

Make that +3

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2009, 11:38:09 am »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRPxN7DGy5c [/youtube]

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2009, 09:17:00 am »

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A pro-marijuana group was set Wednesday to launch another television bid to legalize pot in California — this time with the pitch that legalizing and taxing the drug could help solve the state's massive budget deficit.

The 30-second spot, paid for by the Marijuana Policy Project, features a retired 58-year-old state worker who says state leaders "are ignoring millions of Californians who want to pay taxes."

"We're marijuana consumers," says Nadene Herndon of Fair Oaks, who says she began using marijuana after suffering multiple strokes three years ago. "Instead of being treated like criminals for using a substance safer than alcohol, we want to pay our fair share."

State lawmakers are bitterly debating how to close a $26.3 billion budget deficit that likely means cuts to state services.

In February, Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, introduced a bill to tax and regulate marijuana like alcohol. Bill supporters estimate the state's pot industry could bring in more than $1 billion in taxes.

The ad will air on several cable news channels and network broadcast affiliates in Los Angeles, Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay area, according to the Marijuana Policy Project.

The group said in a statement that three California stations — KABC-TV in Los Angeles, KGO-TV of San Francisco and KNTV-TV in San Jose — refused to air the ad.

Representatives from the three stations did not immediately return calls from The Associated Press seeking comment.

In an e-mail to the group, a KNTV account executive said the station's standards department had rejected the ad.

Marijuana Policy Project spokesman Bruce Mirken said the ad was meant to promote conversation about the issues, not to encourage pot use.

"It was consciously unsensational," Mirken said. "It's time to talk about this, and we feel very frustrated that some of these stations have taken it upon themselves to stifle the discussion."

In a phone interview, Herndon said that before filming the ad, she had not told very many people about her marijuana use. But she said her concern over the state's fiscal crisis and her support of medical marijuana led her to go public.

"I came out of the closet with this ad," she said.

Herndon said she worked as a policy analyst for several state social services departments during a 38-year career.

She said she was approache d to star in the ad while her husband was taking classes at Oaksterdam University, an Oakland trade school that trains students to grow medical marijuana.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2009, 10:58:44 am »

The Tulsa County Democratic Party passed a resolution supporting the legalization, regulation, and taxation of marijuana at the last convention.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Hometown
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2009, 11:28:04 am »

In the modern era People began using pot for medical treatment when they realized that nothing was as effective as smoking pot for treating the wasting disease associated with AIDS.  I remember the old woman in San Francisco who would bake and distribute pot laced brownies to the mostly gay men who were wasting away to skin and bones before they died.  It worked.  They maintained their weight and lived longer. 

Since then the use of pot to treat various medical conditions has expanded and many people are successfully treating medical conditions with pot prescribed by board certified physicians.   Unfortunately people in Oklahoma with medical conditions that would benefit from the use of pot are out of luck.  Tulsa likes to fancy herself as a leader in medicine but we are clearly behind the curve in this regard, not to mention short on compassion for people with serious illnesses.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org