A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:18:29 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barney Frank Files Bill To Decriminalize Pot  (Read 35780 times)
FOTD
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 12:21:13 pm »

I have no problem at all with civil libertarians, and really don't have an issue with pot being legalized.  There's certainly plenty of people mentally and physically disabled due to alcohol and I'd never deny that.  However, your constant assertions that people can't get addicted to pot is a total denial of reality. 

It's like anything else, if you manage it in moderation, no problem.  If you make a habit of doing it daily it becomes a problem.

Prove that!

A hit on a thinking man's cigarette a day keeps the bozone(1) at bay....

(1)The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.
PepePeru
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 12:32:37 pm »

I'm 100% for complete legalization, however, I know at least one person who fits into Conan's stereotype.  One of my good friends, he's 30, still living w/ his mom, never held a decent job, didn't graduate from college b/c he'd rather get high than take care of bidness.

I lived with him in college.  Really the only difference between us is I knew when to put down the pipe for a few hours and he didn't.

However, I can't say I blame the drug for his problems though...That would be too easy.

OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 12:49:36 pm »

I am ok with legalization if the majority approves but this is a state issue.  Let the states that want it legalized make the law.  The Feds have no Constitutional right to force this on states that do not want it to be legalized.
Steve
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 01:00:23 pm »

I do as well, they just don't admit to it readily.  Wink

I don't buy the argument though that it's not addictive.  I've most certainly known heads who were incapable of holding down a job because they were psychologically-dependent on weed.  They wind up bumming off everyone they know or wind up on the government dole.

The exact same things can be said for alcohol.  We tried outlawing alcohol and it was futile.  Same for pot, IMO.  I don't like pot, can't stand the smell of it.  But I think it no worse for society than alcoholic beverages.

I say, legalize it, tax the hell out of it (like we do booze and tobacco), license the growers and suppliers, and quit spending so much government money to irradicate it, because that is a lost cause.  Let it bring some money to the government.  If this were done, I really don't think there would be any substantial increase in pot consumption.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 01:06:52 pm »

I'm 100% for complete legalization, however, I know at least one person who fits into Conan's stereotype.  One of my good friends, he's 30, still living w/ his mom, never held a decent job, didn't graduate from college b/c he'd rather get high than take care of bidness.

I lived with him in college.  Really the only difference between us is I knew when to put down the pipe for a few hours and he didn't.

However, I can't say I blame the drug for his problems though...That would be too easy.

The drug never is the source of the problem, the drug is a symptom of the problem and can wind up mentally disabling people from dealing with the underlying problems and functioning in the normal (or is it NORML?) world.

Just because FOTD can wake and bake every day doesn't mean everyone else can and be productive.  Then again, he doesn't have a job to go to either which might account for his flawed paradigm.  Weed can and does make people just as lazy as psychotropics and depressants.  It's hardly what I'd call a stimulant.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rhymnrzn
Activist

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 01:26:35 pm »

I've most certainly known heads who were incapable of holding down a job because they were psychologically-dependent on weed.  They wind up bumming off everyone they know or wind up on the government dole.

What about your poor souls who have been holding a job since day one, and more rigorously, that yet have no comfort that they are not just spending their strength in vain, and the days of the lives evaporate with endless labours? Do you ever think to proclaim liberty every man to his brother, for once?
FOTD
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 01:59:03 pm »

The drug never is the source of the problem, the drug is a symptom of the problem and can wind up mentally disabling people from dealing with the underlying problems and functioning in the normal (or is it NORML?) world.

Just because FOTD can wake and bake every day doesn't mean everyone else can and be productive.  Then again, he doesn't have a job to go to either which might account for his flawed paradigm.  Weed can and does make people just as lazy as psychotropics and depressants.  It's hardly what I'd call a stimulant.

Conan has a real bad habit of assuming things. He also takes things personally. Does he do his best? Hardly. So, his word is questionable. The example can be found as he goes back to correct himself and say pot is not the problem but a sympton of a bigger problem while earlier stating something else. What a dweeb.

As a productive member of society, a working and tax paying citizen, FOTD wishes to set Conan the Pathetic straight. And he's not even high...he's low down.

Cherish
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 02:09:22 pm »

Laziness + Pot= Living in your Mama's basement playing WoW w/ degenerate Trekkies.

Having a friend who lives in their Mama's basement while they play WoW and your getting free tokes?...priceless Grin
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 02:11:18 pm by Cherish » Logged
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 02:27:35 pm »

Conan has a real bad habit of assuming things. He also takes things personally. Does he do his best? Hardly. So, his word is questionable. The example can be found as he goes back to correct himself and say pot is not the problem but a sympton of a bigger problem while earlier stating something else. What a dweeb.

As a productive member of society, a working and tax paying citizen, FOTD wishes to set Conan the Pathetic straight. And he's not even high...he's low down.

Countdown to Conan breaking his foot off in FOTD 3...2...1

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 02:28:35 pm »

Laziness + Pot= Living in your Mama's basement playing WoW w/ degenerate Trekkies.

Having a friend who lives in their Mama's basement while they play WoW and your getting free tokes?...priceless Grin

Laziness + Pot= Living in your Mama's basement playing WoW w/ degenerate Trekkies. FOTD

FIFY

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 03:40:40 pm »

The weed has obviously ruined your comprehension skills, you big dope.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 04:09:38 pm »

kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 06:54:10 am »

I have more "conservative" friends who smoke pot than "liberal" friends, so I'm not quite sure where you are going with that...

Same here.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 07:18:20 am »

Same here.

Here's the difference, though.  Liberals will tell each other if they smoke it.  Conservatives, if they wish to stay in favor with other conservatives, usually won't.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 08:17:53 am »

Here's the difference, though.  Liberals will tell each other if they smoke it.  Conservatives, if they wish to stay in favor with other conservatives, usually won't.

No conservatives wait till they're drunk then whisper: "where can I score some weed?"

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org