A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:18:48 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who will replace Bill Christiansen? District 8 City Council Race  (Read 14268 times)
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 11:26:49 am »

The Tulsa Stadium Trust received only one bid to construct a nearly $40 million downtown baseball stadium.

Phil Lakin, the construction company's manager, submitted the bid.

With all the controversy surrounding the ballpark, I'd say this involvement doesn't bode well for his chances to get elected in D8.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
FOTD
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 11:47:18 am »

Many people (including myself, a Christian) aren't fans of people using their faith to advertise but I don't remember seeing ANYWHERE where he is "claiming to be a bible thumper." He hasn't even announced his candidacy, much less give a list of qualifications.

RM commented on PL's being a "deacon" which has various meanings but does not imply he attended Wake Forest during his under grad work. It does imply a candidate is purer which is suspect even if republican.
Wilbur
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 12:04:12 pm »

The Tulsa Stadium Trust received only one bid to construct a nearly $40 million downtown baseball stadium.

With all the controversy surrounding the ballpark, I'd say this involvement doesn't bode well for his chances to get elected in D8.

Are we sure we're talking about the same Phil Lakin?  The Phil Lakin I was thinking about is the CEO at the Tulsa Community Foundation.

This dude:

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 12:05:06 pm »

D8 residents are as far from Ballpark dealings as you can get. Both physically and as in whether they care.
Bat Bat
Activist

Holy haberdashery, Batman!

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 12:59:34 pm »

Phil Lakin is the manager of the construction company building the stadium.  Phil Lakin is also the head of Tulsa Community Foundation.  Who is the largest contributor to this Foundation?  George Kaiser!

IMO, Phil Lakin will be a puppet for the George Kaiser crowd.  Every vote he casts will be for whatever the George Kaiser crowd wants it to be. 

Look at who is the Foundation's board.  Look at the top contributors to the Foundation.  Look at his relationship with the construction company building the ball park and the donors to the ballpark.  Given all of these relationships, am I the only one who sees a complete and total conflict of interest with this guy serving as a city councilor?

Shely
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 01:19:47 pm »

My friend is the head of a charity downtown that receives donations from TCF and she told me that TCF threatened to pull their funding if she protested the ONEOK Field downtown ball park assessment.  Phil Lakin is the Executive Direct of TCF and anyone who would use such bullying tactics should not be a public offical in our city.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 01:23:58 pm »

My friend is the head of a charity downtown that receives donations from TCF and she told me that TCF threatened to pull their funding if she protested the ONEOK Field downtown ball park assessment.  Phil Lakin is the Executive Direct of TCF and anyone who would use such bullying tactics should not be a public offical in our city.

So if Mayfest protested against Midfirst Bank, you think Midfirst should still give them donations?
Shely
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 01:55:05 pm »

I saw Tulsa Community Foundation and my first post was simply a reaction of what my friend had told me about TCF, but the more I think about this gentlemen serving as one of nine city councilors the more concerned I become given his position with TCF and the ball park construction company.  I looked up the board members who serve on TCF and I looked at a couple of articles online where this gentlemen's name came up regarding the ball park and I must say that I agree with the other poster that it would be hard for this gentlemen to serve as a city council without a conflict of interest coming up quite often.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 03:22:24 pm »

The current councilor for district 8 has a business on city property, yet votes on budgets that affect the operation of that airport. If that isn't a conflict of interest, I don't see how building a ballpark without using city funds is a conflict.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 03:44:04 pm »

The current councilor for district 8 has a business on city property, yet votes on budgets that affect the operation of that airport. If that isn't a conflict of interest, I don't see how building a ballpark without using city funds is a conflict.

Apples and oranges comparison.

Lakin is backed by the oligarchy seems to be the real problem.  Where's Friendly Bear when we need him?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 08:38:36 pm »

Lakin has competition:

http://tulsad8.com/
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 09:27:12 pm »

Interesting guy...Paul Wizikowski...

Local filmmaker...fair tax proponent...member of Church on the Move (I don't care, but FOTD will have a cow), ORU graduate...

Link to his facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=194498105023#/wizikowski?ref=sgm

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 12:44:58 am »

Would someone please step up and buy Cason a house around 91st & Yale?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Bat Bat
Activist

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 06:18:08 am »

I think Phil Lakin would be a very similar council to former City Councilers Cason Carter and Susan Neal.

IMO Paul Wizikowski doesn't have a chance.  Looking at his resume and website all I can think of is that this guy is a Medlock groupie.

So, my choices are either a well connected establishment candidate who will represent the interestes of downtown or a Medlock nut who believes everything is a conspiracy.  Great!!!!

Bat Bat
Activist

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 08:25:19 pm »

At the Republican Rally this past Saturday, J. Bryan Osborne was telling people he was going to run for the District 8 seat.  Here is a link to his bio:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanosborne

I don't know anything about him other than I think he ran to be the vice-chair of the Tulsa County GOP and lost.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org