A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:22:35 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prepare for the 'stormgasm' tonight  (Read 7592 times)
Michael71
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 12:32:33 pm »

I guess I'll have to rent this season's Lost collection when it comes out.  I missed the last six weeks or so with my house project.  I heard it was great last night.

Just watch it online.

--------------------------
"Why be part of the 'brain drain' that gets sucked out of Tulsa...The opportunity IS there, you just gotta make it!!"--Eric Marshall
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 02:28:01 pm »

Just watch it online.

From Twitter

@Mitchell_Frank: ABC has given us permission to rebroadcast last night's episode of Lost.will air it on Sunday 5/17 from 12pm-2pm.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
PepePeru
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 03:06:18 pm »

Frank Mitchell's "egg sized hail coming right at us" claim made me change channels.

The other weather folk I saw stayed relatively calm and didn't go shooting their gasms all over the "Doppler by god machine".

"Frank, is it safe to assume that perhaps a "giant ice-hen" is roosting above us and laying its eggs upon NE Oklahoma?"

"Absolutely it is, Carole.  That is an assumption someone could certainly make, with hail this size"

"Frank, you're a scientist...Is this some sort of omen? "

"I'm not sure, Carole.  Please explain."

"Well, Frank, Is it safe to assume this "giant ice-hen" is seeking retribution upon Oklahoma? 
Perhaps seeking vengeful retribution against us because of Democratic Attorney General Drew Edmondson's relentless assaults upon the poultry farmers of N.W. Arkansas?"

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 06:51:18 pm »

Wow, I happened upon quite the obsessed little lost fan heckling Frank Mitchell on Twitter. Telling him to go choke on some KFC, amongst other things.

Why anyone would get that worked up over a TV show, I'll never figure out. Why anybody could work up that kind of outrage when there's so many alternative means to view any TV show you desire these days, I'll also never figure out. Even idiots can figure out how to work abc.com.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 11:06:32 pm »

Wow, I happened upon quite the obsessed little lost fan heckling Frank Mitchell on Twitter. Telling him to go choke on some KFC, amongst other things.

Why anyone would get that worked up over a TV show, I'll never figure out. Why anybody could work up that kind of outrage when there's so many alternative means to view any TV show you desire these days, I'll also never figure out. Even idiots can figure out how to work abc.com.

As much as I hate to say this about anyone, I almost wish that person would suffer a personal loss at the hands of a weather phenomenon, and THEN get back to harassing Frank MItchell.  Doubt that it would happen.  Or better yet, have said person's loved one(s) get saved by the acts that news weathermen provide to the viewing public.

For God's sake people, Lost is a friggin' TV show.  A tornado can kill you.  Where's the perspective?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 06:58:29 am »

As much as I hate to say this about anyone, I almost wish that person would suffer a personal loss at the hands of a weather phenomenon, and THEN get back to harassing Frank MItchell.  Doubt that it would happen.  Or better yet, have said person's loved one(s) get saved by the acts that news weathermen provide to the viewing public.

For God's sake people, Lost is a friggin' TV show.  A tornado can kill you.  Where's the perspective?

Yes, a tornado can kill you, but people seldomly get hurt from rain drops, which is what they seem to report is the major weather issue.  That is where the problem arises, when they spend all this time reporting non issues of weather.  No one is saying not to report when actual bad weather is coming
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 07:16:14 am »

Yes, a tornado can kill you, but people seldomly get hurt from rain drops, which is what they seem to report is the major weather issue.  That is where the problem arises, when they spend all this time reporting non issues of weather.  No one is saying not to report when actual bad weather is coming

It might be just rain drops where you live, but remember, these stations don't just cover Tulsa.  They cover most of NE Oklahoma.  You can be clear and dry in Sand Springs, but in Braggs there may be an EF-4 rumbling down your street.

brianh
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 07:19:03 am »

I missed LOST that night as well. Why can't these networks just do a scrolling information bar, or a map in the corner, or a combo of both of these? Frank Mitchell for some reason also had is face glazed in shiny oil that night for some reason, did anyone else see that? I couldn't even watch his storm warnings at that point, it forced me to turn to one of the other networks that never interrupted their broadcasts.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 11:57:29 am »

It might be just rain drops where you live, but remember, these stations don't just cover Tulsa.  They cover most of NE Oklahoma.  You can be clear and dry in Sand Springs, but in Braggs there may be an EF-4 rumbling down your street.
This is true, but there have been many times that they have been all over the tv with breakins on weather when there wasn't any life threatening weather anywhere in their broadcast area.  High winds, heavy rains, and thunder can be reported on commercial breaks and/or tickers across the bottom of the screen.  If weather is coming up that might actually do something really nasty, and this is that it looks that way but isn't currently, break in for a minute and say "hey, this is coming up and should be watched" then put it on the map in the corner.  If you report every little thing, then the tree is lost in the forest.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 02:57:45 pm »

This is true, but there have been many times that they have been all over the tv with breakins on weather when there wasn't any life threatening weather anywhere in their broadcast area.  High winds, heavy rains, and thunder can be reported on commercial breaks and/or tickers across the bottom of the screen.  If weather is coming up that might actually do something really nasty, and this is that it looks that way but isn't currently, break in for a minute and say "hey, this is coming up and should be watched" then put it on the map in the corner.  If you report every little thing, then the tree is lost in the forest.
Flash floods are more deadly than tornadoes, FWIW. Regardless, if there's a tornado warning out anywhere in the station's licensed area, they damn well better be breaking in. Watch the TV show on Hulu or the network's site, for crying out loud.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 03:49:06 pm »

Flash floods are more deadly than tornadoes, FWIW. Regardless, if there's a tornado warning out anywhere in the station's licensed area, they damn well better be breaking in. Watch the TV show on Hulu or the network's site, for crying out loud.
once again, I did say that if there is life threatening weather (be it flash flooding or tornadoes or softball size hail) then breaking in is understandable.
OkieDiva
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 12:47:59 pm »

Anyone wonder if "Frank's Weather Call" has ever placed a call to Frank? I mean, if he promotes it then surely he signed up for it, right... ? Would be funny to know, too, if there are different versions/outtakes ("Hi, this is Frank. What are you wearing?")
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org