A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:24:56 pm
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Domestic Right Wing Terrorists!  (Read 327042 times)
FOTD
« Reply #180 on: September 30, 2009, 07:02:05 am »

Protestantism is a religion. Just fyi.....it's not a race.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #181 on: September 30, 2009, 07:11:16 am »

Protestantism is a religion. Just fyi.....it's not a race.

W = White
A = Anglo
S = Saxon
P = Protestant

Only one letter/word referring to religion.  Let me know when white is no longer another word for Caucasian, which is a race.  Anglo-Saxon is a coincidence of ancestory, kind of like African.

Just FYI.

FOTD
« Reply #182 on: September 30, 2009, 03:29:04 pm »

W = White
A = Anglo
S = Saxon
P = Protestant

Only one letter/word referring to religion.  Let me know when white is no longer another word for Caucasian, which is a race.  Anglo-Saxon is a coincidence of ancestory, kind of like African.

Just FYI.

This demon's told you before and will tell you again....in two generations the majority will be chartreuse.

The devil doesn't mean to scare you but you came from Africa just like all the rest of the human species.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #183 on: September 30, 2009, 06:57:26 pm »

This demon's told you before and will tell you again....in two generations the majority will be chartreuse.

The devil doesn't mean to scare you but you came from Africa just like all the rest of the human species.

What do either of the two factoids above have to do with the fact that WASP is, in part, a racial identifier?  That was the only thing I was calling your hand on in reference to Protestantism.

FOTD
« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2009, 08:02:37 pm »

Curses!

Religious group sued for allegedly inciting harm through prayers

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/10/a-former-military-lawyer-who-served-in-the-reagan-white-house-is-suing-a-dallas-based-religious-group-for-allegedly-inciting.html

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2009, 08:16:44 am »

"Klingenschmitt, 41, told The News that he has "never incited anybody" to hurt Weinstein, whom he called a "paranoid megalomaniac who has a history of anti-Christian persecution."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2009, 09:02:59 am »

Kinda fun suit in my eyes.  If you think prayer really is a powerful force and can effect a result, then you can not argue that the other person isn't put in a "reasonable fear of harm" by your actions.  By taking an action that you believe can effect a result, and in this instance it is a negative result - it is the same as throwing a rock at a window:  you reasonable expect something to happen.  And if your actions intentionally put another in a reasonable fear of harm, it's a tort.

OR . . . prayer is a quaint remnant of bronze age beliefs and isn't meant to effectuate an actual result. In which case whatever utterances I make have no actual effect on you and are never actionable.  But if you believe your prayers really will cause harm to befall someone else - it makes an interesting case.

In this instance the guy prays every day that this other guy's "days are short", that he is non-productive, and that other essentially bad things happen to him.   Actionable?  I'm not sure and on a personal level I don't think so.  But interesting anyway. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2009, 12:10:46 pm »

Kinda fun suit in my eyes.  If you think prayer really is a powerful force and can effect a result, then you can not argue that the other person isn't put in a "reasonable fear of harm" by your actions.  By taking an action that you believe can effect a result, and in this instance it is a negative result - it is the same as throwing a rock at a window:  you reasonable expect something to happen.  And if your actions intentionally put another in a reasonable fear of harm, it's a tort.

OR . . . prayer is a quaint remnant of bronze age beliefs and isn't meant to effectuate an actual result. In which case whatever utterances I make have no actual effect on you and are never actionable.  But if you believe your prayers really will cause harm to befall someone else - it makes an interesting case.

In this instance the guy prays every day that this other guy's "days are short", that he is non-productive, and that other essentially bad things happen to him.   Actionable?  I'm not sure and on a personal level I don't think so.  But interesting anyway. 

What the heck is "kinda fun" about a person using our taxpayer supported judicial system to carry on a BS lawsuit and forcing someone to hire counsel at considerable expense to defend against it? Perhaps from a plaintiff lawyer POV it's fun because all it costs them is a small filing fee.
But seriously, are you suggesting that a prayer is a tort? Could luck with that, especially when it comes to establishing causation of an actual injury. If something bad happens to this guy, how is he going to link it to a prayer? And what if it was the prayer?  Will this guy turn around and sue God?  I guess if the defendant is found liable he will have one heck of an indemnification/contribution claim against God.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2009, 12:22:34 pm »

What the heck is "kinda fun" about a person using our taxpayer supported judicial system to carry on a BS lawsuit and forcing someone to hire counsel at considerable expense to defend against it? Perhaps from a plaintiff lawyer POV it's fun because all it costs them is a small filing fee.
But seriously, are you suggesting that a prayer is a tort? Could luck with that, especially when it comes to establishing causation of an actual injury. If something bad happens to this guy, how is he going to link it to a prayer? And what if it was the prayer?  Will this guy turn around and sue God?  I guess if the defendant is found liable he will have one heck of an indemnification/contribution claim against God.

I could see the fun in trying to make the argument.  Also, I think he was saying the intent is what causes the tort, not relating to any actual damages.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2009, 12:33:48 pm »

I could see the fun in trying to make the argument.  Also, I think he was saying the intent is what causes the tort, not relating to any actual damages.

Other than slander per se, I cannot right now think of any "tort" that can exist without actual damages. Meaning, without actual damages, you have no cause of action, ergo, your lawsuit is BS.  I guess that moron plaintiff could argue he has suffered the injury of last resort, "emotional distress". Good luck connecting that to a prayer, though. Plus, according to the defendant, this guy already has some preexisting issues that would militate that contention.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:39:36 pm by guido911 » Logged

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2009, 01:19:43 pm »

Other than slander per se, I cannot right now think of any "tort" that can exist without actual damages. Meaning, without actual damages, you have no cause of action, ergo, your lawsuit is BS.  I guess that moron plaintiff could argue he has suffered the injury of last resort, "emotional distress". Good luck connecting that to a prayer, though. Plus, according to the defendant, this guy already has some preexisting issues that would militate that contention.
I see it as the equivilant of putting duds in a gun, giving it to a guy, telling him it's loaded with life ammo, and him pointing it at someone and pulling the trigger.  It doesn't do anything, but he believed it would 

I'm not an attorney, so I don't know how the lawsuit would play out in that situation, but I could still see the fun in arguing the case.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2009, 01:33:10 pm »

I see it as the equivilant of putting duds in a gun, giving it to a guy, telling him it's loaded with life ammo, and him pointing it at someone and pulling the trigger.  It doesn't do anything, but he believed it would 

I'm not an attorney, so I don't know how the lawsuit would play out in that situation, but I could still see the fun in arguing the case.

While it sounds "fun", and I do not begrudge those who think it is by any means, my entire point is that the courts should not be the place for personal entertainment.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2009, 01:37:32 pm »

While it sounds "fun", and I do not begrudge those who think it is by any means, my entire point is that the courts should not be the place for personal entertainment.
I do agree that the court room should not be used as a source of personal entertainment, and fun should not be the basis of filing a suit.  However, if you must argue a case, why not argue one that you will enjoy doing so if it's being filed regardless?
jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2009, 08:44:23 pm »

Amazing that for 40 years all we ever heard coming from all sides of the GOP was "those damn liberals." Well, their attitudes were nothing compared to this bunches actions. And do not tell me their is no link. And we are tired of hearing about "a few bad apples". You need to get your fanatical freaks under control. And that goes for the racist commentators as well....We must stop the Domestic Right Wing Terrorists in our midst.

One person murdering someone else does not make an act of terrorism. Tiller the baby serial killer got what he deserved and as far as I am concerned this murder is just an act of vigilante justice.

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2009, 08:49:11 pm »

So people who most likely do not believe in God are going to sue over something they view as make believe. I know lets sue Harry Potter nerds if they recite any hocus pocus from one of the Harry Potter books.

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org