A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:26:35 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Domestic Right Wing Terrorists!  (Read 327011 times)
mr.jaynes
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2009, 02:01:31 pm »

Man who are you running with?  I have been in and around 'Evangelical' circles all my life and I do not know a single woman who prescribes to the viewpoint you are accusing them of having.  Says a lot about YOU.

Of course, if one runs in more mainstream Evangelical circles, one would find a more reasonable and rational approach to things. As long as they don't let the likes of Pat Robertson or Tim and Beverly LaHaye, etc, do their thinking for them, we're ok. 
mr.jaynes
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2009, 02:22:39 pm »

Those are the circles I am most familiar with and still do not know women who fit that bill.  Again more liberal bigotry on parade.  But ya'll supposed to be so open-minded.

I'm familiar with the Evangelical scene too, and I've known some pretty smart people in that crowd. I've also met people in that who are too easily led and influenced by some of their more extreme members of their leadership.
FOTD
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2009, 02:23:56 pm »

Those are the circles I am most familiar with and still do not know women who fit that bill.  Again more liberal bigotry on parade.  But ya'll supposed to be so open-minded.

you know nothing....besides, you failed the litmus test.

* BibleScare.jpg (94.51 KB - downloaded 443 times.)
FOTD
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2009, 02:46:17 pm »

Here's a taste of conservative bigotry from some closed minded "anti constitutionalists"....

http://www.americafirstparty.org/docs/principles.shtml
tim huntzinger
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2009, 03:03:20 pm »

I'm familiar with the Evangelical scene too, and I've known some pretty smart people in that crowd. I've also met people in that who are too easily led and influenced by some of their more extreme members of their leadership.

What leadership? The Protestants are more schismatic than I dunnowhat.  I repeat, NOT ONE woman I have ever known - even secondhand - believes it is their role to sit down and shut up or whatever.  Nathan knows bunch.  I find that odd.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2009, 03:20:02 pm »

What leadership? The Protestants are more schismatic than I dunnowhat.  I repeat, NOT ONE woman I have ever known - even secondhand - believes it is their role to sit down and shut up or whatever.  Nathan knows bunch.  I find that odd.

Well, I'm no feminist, but I do understand that the Southern Baptist Convention has yet to ordain a female pastor. And though I'm no feminist, I believe that if one feels the Calling to go into the minisrty, they should follow that Call.

And I've already mentioned who seems to be in Leadership positions in the extreme elements of the Religious Right, and don't even get me started on Pat Boone.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2009, 03:24:33 pm »

Well, I'm no feminist, but I do understand that the Southern Baptist Convention has yet to ordain a female pastor. And though I'm no feminist, I believe that if one feels the Calling to go into the minisrty, they should follow that Call.

And I've already mentioned who seems to be in Leadership positions in the extreme elements of the Religious Right, and don't even get me started on Pat Boone.

So the nation's largest denomination - which includes in its membership some big name D's - is an extreme, fringe group?
mr.jaynes
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2009, 03:33:04 pm »

So the nation's largest denomination - which includes in its membership some big name D's - is an extreme, fringe group?

um, no....? All I said is that they don't ordain women.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2009, 03:35:09 pm »

Whoa, are you seriously comparing voting rights to abortion rights? If so, just wow.
Yes, they are both fundamental rights. One is the right to choose your leaders. The other is the right to control your own body. (Abortion being a minor subset of the second, not the end all and be all some make it out to be)

And just to be inflammatory, I'll call the SBC a hateful fringe group. I liked them a lot better before they were taken over by the wingnuts in the 80s. (I was raised a Baptist)

And Know Nothing, perhaps you just haven't asked. As I mentioned, I know a few and know of several more who subscribe to that belief. Maybe it's a Glenpool fundie church thing.

And Conan, the views of the pro-lifers are not any less valid than those of those on the pro-choice side. No more than the views of theocrats are inherently less valid than proponents of secular government. I personally believe that a person should have the singular decision making authority about what goes on with or in their body. Everything from what food to eat, what drugs to take (or not take), to whether to carry a pregnancy to term. Similarly, I believe that government and religion should not be mixed, therefore I do not promote theocratic arguments. It's simply not a society I want to live in.

As far as abortion is concerned, my preference would be to live in a society where it is perfectly legal and easily available, yet never used because all children are wanted and those who choose not to bear children have easy access to contraceptives. The sad thing is that many of our policies relative to sex ed (especially abstinence-only programs) make things worse on that front. As long as we refuse to educate people about sex in general and contraception in particular, people will continue to have unwanted children. (Not that contraception is 100%, but it's far better than nothing!)

Making abortion illegal will pan out about like the drug war. It will cost a lot of money, ruin a lot of lives, but do nothing to stop abortions from occurring.

The most effective ways to prevent abortion are keeping people's economic outlook positive so they feel like they can support a baby and provide the tools women need to prevent pregnancy (asking people not to love is like asking them to cut off their hand..few have the fortitude to comply)

I think we all agree that in a perfect world there would be no abortion.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:50:26 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2009, 03:45:45 pm »

A point of order and a common misconception of people in Oklahoma:

Southern Baptist Convention is definitely NOT the largest denomination in the nation.

Catholics are the Nations largest denomination by some order of magnitude.  Per the 2004 Census unless otherwise noted:

Catholics: 71,796,719
Methodist: 19,969,799
Southern Baptist Convention Members: 16,266,920 (2007)

Even if we want to expand the definition it still falls short:
Southern Baptist: 28,280,728 (includes all subsets, direct and indirect affiliations)
All Baptist: 47,744,049 (all inclusive)

/not arguing it is a fringe group.  It represents a full 5.5% of the population of the United States.  Just pointing out that in Oklahoma it is easy to assume Southern Baptists run the country when they are in reality a vocal minority themselves.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2009, 03:50:46 pm »

Southern Baptist Convention is definitely NOT the largest denomination in the nation.

Catholics are the Nations largest denomination by some order of magnitude.  Per the 2004 Census unless otherwise noted:

Southern Baptist: 28,280,728 (includes all subsets, direct and indirect affiliations)

/not arguing it is a fringe group.  It represents a full 5.5% of the population of the United States.  Just pointing out that in Oklahoma it is easy to assume Southern Baptists run the country when they are in reality a vocal minority themselves.

Perhaps Southern Baptists are the largest denomination by weight? 
Deserves further exploration.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2009, 03:51:51 pm »

Perhaps Southern Baptists are the largest denomination by weight? 
Deserves further exploration.

Ha, how far in there do you want to explore?
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2009, 03:55:03 pm »

That is what the Devil wants you to think.  Your post has therefore been disregarded!
tim huntzinger
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2009, 04:38:58 pm »

Roman Catholicisim is a religion, not a denomination. Just sayin. And they do not allow women clergy either.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2009, 06:20:14 pm »

Numbers or not, Conservative christians have significant political power because they've  voted in a solid bloc since Reagan came to power.  Catholics used to have that same sort of power but they really splintered after Vatican II liberalized the church.  What's still on the table is how much the Bush presidency did or did not splinter the political power of the CC bloc.  They're also going through a major generational change, with lots of Gen X and Yers taking over leadership positions from the old skool fire and brimstone guys.   
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org