A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:46:52 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse Tulsa!  (Read 52780 times)
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2018, 09:51:02 am »

In Tulsa I bet it would be South Tulsa.  The OKC location is the South Tulsa equivalent.  Would be a big missed opportunity.  I even think it would be a good fit in the Pearl District.  They built a location in the Cedars neighborhood in Dallas just outside downtown.  It's sort of a Pearl District equivalent for Dallas.

It's worth noting that Alamo Drafthouse in Dallas' Cedars area only happened because of a pretty large subsidy from the city.  (almost $2 million)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:02:19 am by Oil Capital » Logged

hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2018, 09:57:24 am »

Southroads was just updated in 2013 with new recliners and everything. Haven't been in over a year, but the last time I went we chose that theater on purpose because it was nice to go to.

I'm aware. Outside of Circle it is the only other place I regularly go to see a movie. In the past 6 months I've noticed a decline. Hopefully this trend will reverse because there aren't many options in midtown and I enjoy the recliners.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2018, 10:14:55 am »

It's worth noting that Alamo Drafthouse in Dallas' Cedars area only happened because of a pretty large subsidy from the city.  (almost $2 million)

Do you have any idea if the Power & Light Alamo had a similar arrangement? I know when we went last winter the crowd was pretty sparse for the Last Jedi. It may have been the weather too as it was bitterly cold. But it was a late Saturday night and it wasn't the opening weekend. Just hard to imagine a theater as big as that one making it on the dozen or so people I saw in the lobby areas and in the hall I was watching in.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2018, 10:40:57 am »

Do you have any idea if the Power & Light Alamo had a similar arrangement? I know when we went last winter the crowd was pretty sparse for the Last Jedi. It may have been the weather too as it was bitterly cold. But it was a late Saturday night and it wasn't the opening weekend. Just hard to imagine a theater as big as that one making it on the dozen or so people I saw in the lobby areas and in the hall I was watching in.

That is an awesome theater in KC.  It used to be an AMC.  Tulsa had a couple similar theaters downtown but they were all torn down.   Sad

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2018, 11:35:40 am »

At least we have one theater downtown still.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2018, 12:48:00 pm »

I do not know if there was a specific subsidy for the Alamo, but the Power & Light District was (and is) hugely subsidized. (To the tune of Millions of dollars per year for many years.  $14.2 Million this year.)

So it's fair to say that without subsidy, the KC P&L District Alamo Drafthouse would not exist either.

Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2018, 03:10:31 pm »

We've been to the Warren once and it was a great, though expensive, experience.  We were in the Director's Suite (21 and over, with chair service and the recliners are heated).  Tickets were $22 apiece.  My go-to theaters are the Circle and the AMC20, but as noted, the AMC20 has seen a serious decline in the state of repair for their seats which are a fairly recent installation.  The auditoriums with the recliners all have a number of seats that have ripped fabric and don't look so good in the light, but all the recliners still work.  The cleanliness of the AMC20 is inconsistent.  There was a period of time in the not too distant past when the concession counters looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a while.  AMC sends me an email survey every once in a while and I'm honest about what I see.  

FYI, if you go to the movies a lot (and I do), I discovered Movie Pass.  Google it.  I don't work for Movie Pass, but it has saved me a ton of money.  I see between 6 - 10 movies at theaters per month, so it really is a good deal for me.  I really would like to see an Alamo Drafthouse come downtown.

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2018, 03:11:38 pm »

Southroads was just updated in 2013 with new recliners and everything. Haven't been in over a year, but the last time I went we chose that theater on purpose because it was nice to go to.

Yeah I just saw I, Tonya there a few weeks ago.  

I mean... it's a movie theater... no movie theater is the paradigm of cleanliness... I wouldn't eat off the floor or seats, but I'll go and sit in there for a few hours with a bucket of popcorn and soda.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2018, 04:45:38 pm »

At least we have one theater downtown still.

I don't think the Mid-Town Arts Theater qualifies.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2018, 06:44:12 pm »

We've been to the Warren once and it was a great, though expensive, experience.  We were in the Director's Suite (21 and over, with chair service and the recliners are heated).  Tickets were $22 apiece.  My go-to theaters are the Circle and the AMC20, but as noted, the AMC20 has seen a serious decline in the state of repair for their seats which are a fairly recent installation.  The auditoriums with the recliners all have a number of seats that have ripped fabric and don't look so good in the light, but all the recliners still work.  The cleanliness of the AMC20 is inconsistent.  There was a period of time in the not too distant past when the concession counters looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a while.  AMC sends me an email survey every once in a while and I'm honest about what I see.  

FYI, if you go to the movies a lot (and I do), I discovered Movie Pass.  Google it.  I don't work for Movie Pass, but it has saved me a ton of money.  I see between 6 - 10 movies at theaters per month, so it really is a good deal for me.  I really would like to see an Alamo Drafthouse come downtown.

Movie Pass is developing software to track your moves before and after you go to a movie to target you with specific advertising.

Lowe said that was possible because “we get an enormous amount of information. Since we mail you the card, we know your home address . . . we know the makeup of that household, the kids, the age groups, the income. It’s all based on where you live. It’s not that we ask that. You can extrapolate that.

Get Data Sheet, Fortune’s technology newsletter.

“Then,” Lowe continued, “Because you are being tracked in your GPS by the phone . . . we watch how you drive from home to the movies. We watch where you go afterwards, and so we know the movies you watch. We know all about you. We don’t sell that data. What we do is we use that data to market film.”

In a followup statement to the press, a MoviePass spokesperson said the company was “exploring utilizing location based marketing as a way to help enhance the overall experience,” including by using data “to better inform how to market potential customer benefits including discounts on transportation, coupons for nearby restaurants, and other similar opportunities.” Most importantly, the spokesperson reiterated Lowe’s claim that MoviePass won’t sell user data to third parties

http://fortune.com/2018/03/10/moviepass-data-gathering/
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2018, 10:04:48 pm »

In this day and age, there's nothing we do that is not tracked.  I'm aware that I may be the target of their algorithms and know it's ultimately my choice whether or not I pay attention to their suggestions, though Movie Pass does not advertise on their app, and I'm happy to be able to see a movie a day if I want to by paying less than $10 per month.  NSA's fusion centers have way more data on me than Movie Pass will ever have.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:59:36 pm by Tulsa Zephyr » Logged

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2018, 08:59:32 am »

They sent an e-mail saying they turned off tracking when you aren't using the app. LOL, what an idiot to say that out loud.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2018, 03:24:18 pm »

I'm an AMC-goer and also noticed the AMC in need of repair. They need a refresh and to permanently remove the side concession areas and put in a real kitchen and bar possibly instead.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2018, 03:07:59 pm »

Interesting new concept planned for downtown OKC, a restaurant/pub with a 2 screen theater:

http://newsok.com/article/5588914/downtown-oklahoma-city-building-to-become-site-for-food-drink-and-movies

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2018, 03:32:42 pm »

Based on the floorpan, it looks like they expect people to go and eat without seeing a movie. Why?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org