A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:26:54 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse Tulsa!  (Read 52788 times)
BierGarten
Activist

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 01:45:44 pm »

I seem to remember a place in Columbus that does this has a separate bar area that has windows that happen to overlook the theater so you can see the film. Perhaps that could be done in Oklahoma, if it were run as a separate corporate entity.

I can not imagine deciding to place a multi million dollar investment on a fractured reading of the statutes that way.  One would have to argue that the separate bar's license was not issued to a "business functioning as a motion picture theater." 

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 01:50:19 pm »

I can not imagine deciding to place a multi million dollar investment on a fractured reading of the statutes that way.  One would have to argue that the separate bar's license was not issued to a "business functioning as a motion picture theater." 
If they were two separate corporate entities, one which runs a motion picture theater, and one which runs a bar in separate space under the same roof, there's no tortured reading whatsoever there.

Besides, when it comes to alcohol, the law is irrelevant. What the ABLE commission will allow or can be persuaded to allow is the only thing that really matters.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 01:52:40 pm »

It is a non-issue really:

23. "Motion picture theater" means a place where motion pictures are exhibited and to which the general public is admitted, but does not include a place where meals, as defined by this section, are served, if only persons over twenty-one (21) years of age are admitted;
Okla. Stat. tit. 37 § 506 (23)

If they only admit people over the age of 21 and serve meals, they are good to go.  Most only allow people over 17 with a guardian in select groups anyway.  They then have "baby nights" that allow others in.  They are geared towards the 21+  crowd anyway, so the restriction would not be a death sentence.

Or you could go all Utah and require a family membership to come in (like Utah bars).  $5 per family per year for a membership, and you get 5 guest passes.  This complies with the statute but makes the law the farce that it is.

Setup shop operating under the existing laws, then simply lobby to get the arcane law altered a little.   Why is it worse to watch a movie, eat and have a beer than to go to TGI's, eat, watch Monday Night Football and have a beer?

(and +1 on the law not really being relevant.  Technically by statute 3.2% beer is not an intoxicating beverage, but you still get a ticket walking around with one in your hand)

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 05:16:00 pm »

Havent been bowling in a while, but cant you buy alchohol in a bowling alley? If so, whats the difference between a bowling alley and a movie theater/restaurant? You can eat at both, there are kids at both, they are both entertainment venues.

I went to one of these movie/dinner places in Dallas and enjoyed it. If they put one in downtown,,,, let me be the first to say the obvious.... I hope its an art-deco themed theater?  Grin

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 08:37:57 am »

The liquor laws in the state are so outdated.  You can't buy wine at a grocery store on Sunday because none of that is allowed.  It is embarassing when people come her from out of state and notice that.  You cannot have wine shipped to your home in Oklahoma either.  There needs to be a petition to get a modernized law on the ballot.
kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 09:52:19 am »

The liquor laws in the state are so outdated.  You can't buy wine at a grocery store on Sunday because none of that is allowed.  It is embarassing when people come her from out of state and notice that.  You cannot have wine shipped to your home in Oklahoma either.  There needs to be a petition to get a modernized law on the ballot.

Agreed. It is pretty embarrassing.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 10:23:30 am »

We'd have to keep the liquor stores, ABLE, and distributorships away from any lobby groups.
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 10:26:47 am »

Dear Oklahoma lawmakers, stop stifling businesses and innovation just because some of it may involve alcohol. Vegas knows that tipsy customers spend more. pancakes is wrong with you? GAWD.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 10:30:32 am »

We'd have to keep the liquor stores, ABLE, and distributorships away from any lobby groups.

Almost sounds like organized crime controls our liquor distribution system.

Ooops shouldn't have said that, I'll never be able to start my truck again w/o worrying about it blowing up now.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 10:36:45 am »

There is a petition every other year to get something in the laws changed.  It always fails.

1) Multi tier distribution props up otherwise irrelevant companies.  They have every incentive to lobby as hard as possible and spend 100% of their profits on keeping it that way.  The result is restricted access and inflated prices for consumers.

2) Liquor store only laws increase prices and grant a monopoly to the liquor store owners.  They have a huge incentive to make sure it stays that way.  The result is restricted access to responsible persons (how many alcoholics just stay sober on Sunday because they forgot to get the liter on Saturday?) and a liquor store every other block.

3) Low point beer enables happy-go-lucky puritans to pretend like Oklahomans don't get drunk.  Since they all drink anyway they figure this mild concession keeps Jesus happy.  The result is a lack of choice (many just won't distribute their product in Oklahoma), lots of pain in the neck, increased expense, and a total farce (we get drunk anyway).

4) Not shipping wine helps the distributors.  If all product has to flow through them, including wine produced in state, they get a chunk of all the action.  The result is inconvenience, more expense, restricted access, and a hindrance to our domestic alcohol industry (wine and beer).

5) Close on Sundays helps out the liquor stores and the puritans.  Given that no where else can sell actual wine or alcohol, the liquor stores don't really care if they have to be closed one day a week - a built in holiday for a business owner with no chance of losing business.  And of course the puritans don't drink . . . so no one else should either on the Sabbath.  The result is of course just a pain in the donkey to Average Joe who wants a bottle of Wine with dinner or some damn rum for a mojito on a hot Sunday evening.  The bastards.

Alcoholics will stock up ahead of time or just drink 3.2 beer until they are satisfied.  It serves no purpose for the consumer.  None of the above laws do anything for the consumer for that matter.

6) No alcohol at movies just makes no sense.  Who cares?  Why can't I decide to go to a movie theater with beer if I want to?  Jerks.

- - - - - -

I won't bother addressing underage drinking with any of these laws because they have ZERO effect.  A grocery store or gas station can already get you drunk and already has to check IDs.  A teenager isn't going to order wine online and pay for it with a credit card and have it shipped in 2 - 3 weeks to his parents house when he could just have a wino buy him some Mad Dog for $10.

Question - do you know hoe much alcohol an 18 year old college student gets?
Answer - as much as he wants.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Requiemokc
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 11:22:51 am »

Sounds great. If its anything like Warren was for Oklahoma City, then this should be a great addition for Tulsa!  Smiley
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 02:39:48 pm »

As I recall, the short-lived artsy movie theater in the building occupied by Tsunami and Dwelling Spaces served wine and beer.  So perhaps there is some loophole in the Oklahoma liquor statutes.
TulsaGuy
Activist

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 12:24:27 pm »

Does anyone know the status of a Tulsa location for Alamo Drafthouse?  Is this still a possibility for downtown?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 11:22:57 am »

Downtown, specifically Blue Dome, would be a perfect spot.  Something like this fronting Elgin at 2nd would really help tie all of the new development along that street together.  There aren't many old buildings left to rehab, now it's time to start in filling the parking lots. 

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 10:25:37 am »

I thought I read some time ago that a drafthouse type theater was one of Blake Ewings ongoing projects and that the lot at 5th and Elgin was being considered.  Maybe it could franchise Alamo drafthouse but I'd be kind of skeptical that Alamo would want to leave Texas markets.  The concept I think would be great for downtown however it happens and regardless of what it is named.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org