A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:47:02 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Asian  (Read 13071 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: May 20, 2009, 10:45:35 am »

What is your favorite Asian place in Tulsa and why?  Here are mine:

Vietnamese: Ri Le (one of my favorite restaurants period)
Thai: Thai Siam
Sushi: In The Raw
Japanese (Hibachi): Shogun
Japanese (Teriyaki): Ichiban
Indonesian: Bali Fusion
Indian: India Palace

I have never been to Tulsa's two Korean restaurants Haruno and Korean Garden but want to soon.  Authentic Chinese left Tulsa for me when Fifteenth Street Wok closed, anyone know of any other good places (not buffets)?  I have noticed OKC has tons of Vietnamese/Pho and Chinese restaurants, wish we could have more in Tulsa but I understand their community is much larger.

naenae42day
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 11:00:39 am »

I used to frequent Korean Garden, until they switched to buffet.  Several of my friends were stationed in Korea over the years, and said it was the closest to authentic they had found.  After they switched to a buffet style, IMO it went down hill.
The stopped serving sushi as well, which was a bummer.

Thanks for the suggestions on the others.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 02:22:31 pm »

I have never tried Bali Fusion Cafe. Glad to hear you like it.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Miss Solemnis
Citizen

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 05:16:15 pm »

We tried Haruno for the first time recently and my husband - a Seoul native - loved it.  Instead of trying to recount our visit myself, here's a review he posted on the TW site:

Highly recommended. I was there a few weeks ago on a slow weekend lunch. My wife had bulgogi, and I had sundubu jigae. I'm a native of Seoul, and this food really brought back memories. That's saying a lot, because I often don't even remember my heritage until food like this reminds me of it. Just as impressive as the food is the service. It's not that it's polished, more that these people sincerely care. Both the owner and the floor staff seemed so eager to please, and yet weren't overly solicitous, as some ethnic restaurants can be. Even when she came close, it was charming. When I wasn't eating one of the side dishes (I hadn't gotten to it yet), she asked if something was wrong and encouraged me to eat more. She even gave us special instructions on how to eat a few of the things. But she did it in a way she might if you were at her house for dinner. And it wasn't just us that she was doting over - she personally kept tabs on all the other tables. When was the last time an owner was so engaged on the floor? My only gripe is that they seem to have more sushi than Korean food, but it's a small gripe. If you go there, my best advice is to ask the staff for recommendations. Some of this may be spicier than you'd like, but the staff can guide you based on your taste. Also, side dish portions can be on the smaller side (I'm a big eater), but don't hesitate to ask for more. They gladly (and quickly) brought out a second round of them, more rice for me, and would have brought out a third round if we had asked.

Having said that...the best Asian food is at our house!  Ribeye bulgogi on the grill this weekend!

Kashmir
Civic Leader

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I hate you"

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 07:55:16 pm »

I tried FuWa this weekend...pretty yummmmmy!
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:01:49 am »

I tried FuWa this weekend...pretty yummmmmy!

+1. I get carry out quite often. Crab Rangoon is the best I have ever had. Are you a southie or is there more than 1 FuWa.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Patrick
Activist

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 11:26:55 am »

For Vietnamese, I really like Viet Huong - just west of the 21st & Memorial light.

What is FuWa?

Edit: Found their website (sorry if this has been discussed already) http://www.fuwakitchen.com/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:06:27 pm by Patrick » Logged
Kashmir
Civic Leader

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I hate you"

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 12:13:50 pm »

Yes, I am a southie...contrary to popular belief, there are some good people in south Tulsa trying to make it with a small (local) business and there are south Tulsans who support these people!   (seigi, savastano, brewburger, etc) Sighs....

I think FuWa is a family affair?  All I know is the food is extremely fresh with HUGE portions. 

Happy House in BA is pretty good too for your standard Chinese fix.

I jus found out I am having insulin issues so Chinese for me now is the kiss of death.   Cry
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 01:01:14 pm »

Has anyone eaten at AsiaPhil or know of any other Filipino restaurants in town? I have a craving for sigsig.
tulsascoot
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 07:08:35 pm »

Ichiban Teriyaki is Tulsa's best kept secret. 

(41st across from Caravan for those who don't know. I think they are lunch only, or maybe dinner weekends also, but that's it.)

Cherish
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 07:30:49 pm »

We tried Haruno for the first time recently and my husband - a Seoul native - loved it.  Instead of trying to recount our visit myself, here's a review he posted on the TW site:

Having said that...the best Asian food is at our house!  Ribeye bulgogi on the grill this weekend!

Mmmmm Bulgogi, haven't had a good one since Ft. Bragg (Fayetteville) and when I was stationed in S. Korea.
FOTD
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 03:32:52 pm »

Thai Siam has new owner/operator?
Patrick
Activist

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 04:02:32 pm »

We ate there on Saturday.  I didn't notice a change in the food but I didn't have my normal welcome from what I believed to be the proprietor - I didn't see him anywhere.

On another note, is FuWa carry out / catering only?
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 10:37:56 am »

I love KEO on Brookside.  I guess you'd call it "Asian fusion."  Love the Tom Ka soup, and I enjoy just about everything on the menu.  The Pad Thai is amazing. (It's not "authentic"...it's got veggies, etc...but who cares!)

I also like Lanna Thai.  Every now and then I get a craving for their Thai beef salad (I think they call it a "Yum Yum salad").  Tangy and spicy.  Yum!
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 09:43:31 pm »

Tulsascoot- shhh....do we need the place to be any slooooower? Let's keep it on the DL.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org