A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:52:44 pm
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Commandments to go on State Capitol  (Read 181949 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #330 on: May 07, 2018, 07:17:52 am »

So do people really believe that the 10 Commandments are just a historic text like the Magna Carta or Constitution?  If they really believe they are influential for fundamental American law, what's the basis for that? Why don't they care that the Courts and voters both rejected similar ideas?  Not being obtuse. 

No doubt they are an important portion of a revered religious text that is held divine by many (if not most) Americans... but that's kind of the point of people saying the State adopting them is a bad idea.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #331 on: May 10, 2018, 09:33:46 am »

Stolen Valor: The Man Behind Oklahoma's Ten Commandments Statue

Broken Arrow Rep. Mike Ritze accused of embellishing military record; DAV removes him from its rolls
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capitol_report/broken-arrow-rep-mike-ritze-accused-of-embellishing-military-record/article_8c292a5b-8d41-573b-a60b-c790f1018e12.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #332 on: May 10, 2018, 09:44:47 am »

Stolen Valor: The Man Behind Oklahoma's Ten Commandments Statue

Broken Arrow Rep. Mike Ritze accused of embellishing military record; DAV removes him from its rolls
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capitol_report/broken-arrow-rep-mike-ritze-accused-of-embellishing-military-record/article_8c292a5b-8d41-573b-a60b-c790f1018e12.html

Thou shall not embellish.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #333 on: May 10, 2018, 10:42:43 am »

The Quran is equally historic in the history of western civilization. Spain was Muslim for centuries and only the battle of Tours prevented it from spreading into France. History would have been quite different without the Crusades and the Quran as their animus. Even now, parts of eastern Europe are Muslim. We should have just as big a monument to the Quran at the capitol building.

The Vikings had a huge impact. They deserve a monument too.

In more recent history, we fought nearly all of the last century trying to contain communism. We need a monument to Das Kapital and Karl Marx. Maybe Groucho, Chico, and Harpo too.

And never forget the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #334 on: May 10, 2018, 08:21:44 pm »

The Quran is equally historic in the history of western civilization. Spain was Muslim for centuries and only the battle of Tours prevented it from spreading into France. History would have been quite different without the Crusades and the Quran as their animus. Even now, parts of eastern Europe are Muslim. We should have just as big a monument to the Quran at the capitol building.

The Vikings had a huge impact. They deserve a monument too.

It would have to be sufficiently badass.

Witchcraft would have to be recognized, as would polygamy and Satanism.  Lest we forget, the population here before us had a belief system as well.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #335 on: May 10, 2018, 08:26:58 pm »

Thou shall not embellish.

I shopped that around the office and it got rave reviews...

Ritze is about like Dahm, though, so not at all surprised at the lack of integrity.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TeeDub
« Reply #336 on: May 11, 2018, 07:38:21 am »

TripAdvisor says we should put something like this around the capitol.   (Although the Indian can NOT hold cigars as that suddenly makes it racist.)
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #337 on: May 11, 2018, 09:53:09 am »

TripAdvisor says we should put something like this around the capitol.   (Although the Indian can NOT hold cigars as that suddenly makes it racist.)

The horned helmet is so 1940 but we could work with that Wink   ...and I didnt see Festivus represented.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #338 on: May 11, 2018, 10:49:24 am »

...and I didnt see Festivus represented.

Every exotic dance bar has a festivus pole.

I'm guessing the pole in the Governor's residence will have to do.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #339 on: May 11, 2018, 12:43:50 pm »

Mattress Mary doing a pole dance? Ewww. That's just nasty.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #340 on: May 11, 2018, 01:07:45 pm »

But not entirely unexpected.

But now can't unsee that image.....oi

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #341 on: May 11, 2018, 03:29:33 pm »

...and I didnt see Festivus represented.

Is festivus a religion, or just a holiday for the restuvus?
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #342 on: May 11, 2018, 03:45:23 pm »

I suspect her daughter had it put in when she was there...before being banished to the travel trailer.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #343 on: May 12, 2018, 01:05:48 pm »

I shopped that around the office and it got rave reviews...

Ritze is about like Dahm, though, so not at all surprised at the lack of integrity.

Gov. Mary Fallin signs bill allowing display of Ten Commandments on public property

OKLAHOMA CITY — Gov. Mary Fallin on Friday signed a bill that would allow for the display of the Ten Commandments along with historical documents on public property.

House Bill 2177 came after a 2015 Oklahoma Supreme Court ruling that said a privately funded Ten Commandments monument on the Capitol grounds was religious and had to be removed.

The following year, voters rejected State Question 790, which would have allowed the Ten Commandments monument to be displayed at the Capitol.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #344 on: May 12, 2018, 08:20:14 pm »

Gov. Mary Fallin signs bill allowing display of Ten Commandments on public property

OKLAHOMA CITY — Gov. Mary Fallin on Friday signed a bill that would allow for the display of the Ten Commandments along with historical documents on public property.

House Bill 2177 came after a 2015 Oklahoma Supreme Court ruling that said a privately funded Ten Commandments monument on the Capitol grounds was religious and had to be removed.

The following year, voters rejected State Question 790, which would have allowed the Ten Commandments monument to be displayed at the Capitol.

We are gonna get sooooo many new, good, jobs outa this...

And companies are gonna be just lining up at the border to have another business "land run" to get to Okrahoma!!

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org