A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:18:20 pm
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Commandments to go on State Capitol  (Read 181966 times)
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #240 on: July 10, 2015, 09:26:05 am »

I don't think it's ignorance so much as laziness, CF.  Many people will go to one source (I wonder which) to get spoon-fed their news and talking points for the day, without taking the time to research a little.  And the current electronic media isn't helping any.  On either side.

or maybe as a baby he was dropped on his head one too many times.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #241 on: July 10, 2015, 02:54:53 pm »

We need to support Mary Fallin on this issue. Let's face it 70% of the residents of Oklahoma want the 10 commandments there. The ten commandments are in the Christian Bible but they are all good things to follow no matter what faith you follow, or even if you have no faith at all. Who can be against "Thou shalt not steal",  and "Thou shalt not kill", and so on they are all good things to follow. Our nation was founded on Christian principals. The 10 commandants need to stay, if you don't like them because they are Christian  how about having some tolerance toward the Christians. If  somehow the 10 commandments offend you remember- As far as I know-  There is no right in the constitution to not be offended. (unless it's buried in the 14th amendment like all the other stuff). The 10 commandments standing there does no harm. I favor keeping them there. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:56:40 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #242 on: July 10, 2015, 03:06:40 pm »

We need to support Mary Fallin on this issue. Let's face it 70% of the residents of Oklahoma want the 10 commandments there. The ten commandments are in the Christian Bible but they are all good things to follow no matter what faith you follow, or even if you have no faith at all. Who can be against "Thou shalt not steal",  and "Thou shalt not kill", and so on they are all good things to follow. Our nation was founded on Christian principals. The 10 commandants need to stay, if you don't like them because they are Christian  how about having some tolerance toward the Christians. If  somehow the 10 commandments offend you remember- As far as I know-  There is no right in the constitution to not be offended. (unless it's buried in the 14th amendment like all the other stuff). The 10 commandments standing there does no harm. I favor keeping them there. Smiley

It’s got nothing to do with being against Judeo-Christian beliefs.  It’s the simple fact that a state legislator paid to erect this religious monument on state-owned property in clear violation of the Oklahoma Constitution barring any such monuments or shrines.  It was against the law for him to do so.  It is against the law for Governor Fallin to ignore the order of the court as well.

The logic Ritze used to erect this could also be used to erect Islamic, Shinto, Taoist, Satanist, etc. monuments.  It’s state government property where the state does its business.  It is simply not the place to litter the grounds with one or multiple religious monuments.

If you recall, the forefathers of this country fled religious oppression in Europe and wanted a clear separation of church and state.  Apparently the authors of Oklahoma’s constitution saw fit to delineate this as well.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2015, 04:54:39 pm »

It’s got nothing to do with being against Judeo-Christian beliefs.  It’s the simple fact that a state legislator paid to erect this religious monument on state-owned property in clear violation of the Oklahoma Constitution barring any such monuments or shrines.  It was against the law for him to do so.  It is against the law for Governor Fallin to ignore the order of the court as well.

The logic Ritze used to erect this could also be used to erect Islamic, Shinto, Taoist, Satanist, etc. monuments.  It’s state government property where the state does its business.  It is simply not the place to litter the grounds with one or multiple religious monuments.

If you recall, the forefathers of this country fled religious oppression in Europe and wanted a clear separation of church and state.  Apparently the authors of Oklahoma’s constitution saw fit to delineate this as well.

Mic-drop.  Well done C.  Nice seeing you this afternoon at the Growler fill.  Pretty busy today.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #244 on: July 13, 2015, 07:48:55 am »

That sound was the entire interweb face palming after reading this.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #245 on: July 13, 2015, 08:14:24 am »

Actually, came here either under charter from the King's to start company 'branch' offices, AND to flee the persecution at home and start their own persecuting religious entity here.

Didn't really want a separation, since most created their own theocracy.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #246 on: July 13, 2015, 08:20:14 am »

So...you are actively advocating total disregard for the laws of both the state and the nation - in fact promoting the idea that Failin' should continue breaking the law!  And given past posts, your primary influences are people like Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Matt Drudge, and Rupert Murdoch, we can see how closely it follows that you are just going with their lead - since it's obvious you have shown no original thought around here - the lead to go against the various laws of the land when they just don't happen to 'like' them.  It's what they are and what they want.  And you blindly go along with it.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #247 on: July 13, 2015, 09:35:40 am »

Mic-drop.  Well done C.  Nice seeing you this afternoon at the Growler fill.  Pretty busy today.

Great to see you too and to meet your cousin.  I’m really thrilled to see how well Eric has done with MBC and how popular the growler/pint Fridays have become. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2015, 12:48:07 pm »

Fallin is doing what the residents of Oklahoma want. There is no "Seperation of church & state"  clause in the federal constitution, all the constitution says is the gov't cannot make or force a state religion on the people. The 10 commandments was paid for by private money. What's wrong with having some tolerance for the Christian faith? The best idea I heard so far  would be to let the residents of Oklahoma vote on this issue. What could be more fair than that? Heck, when I was in school in the 1970's they still used the words "Christmas Holiday" and the school band put on a "Christmas Concert" some of the Christmas songs they played were very religious in nature- today that would not be permitted. Today  Christmas is called  Winter recess and the only songs permitted is "Frosty the snowman" and "Jingle Bells". We changed alot in the past 35 years.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2015, 12:58:51 pm »

I think you're an idiot you have the reading comprehension of cat food. I don't mean that as a true insult, I mean it as a statement of fact. You lack the intellectual capacity or otherwise refuse to discuss intelligently.

1) the separation of church and state was INTEGRAL to the Constitution. Read the document and supporting cases. Read the Federalist papers. Read something...

2) THE CASE IN OKLAHOMA WAS NOT DECIDED ON FEDERAL ISSUES, IT WAS DECIDED BASED ON THE OKLAHOMA CONSTITUTION.

THE OKLHOMA 10 COMMANDMENTS CASE WAS DECIDED BASED ON THE OKLAHOMA CONSTITUTION.

Got it? This is clearly stated in the opinion (which you haven't read), the news articles (you didn't bother with), and in this thread (which you won't read). Maybe all caps will do it?

3) In Oklahoma, it is against the law to use public property to even indirectly benefit any religion.

4) Constitutional issues don't go to a vote. We have a system of government with three branches (which Calling can't name). Fairness has nothing to do with it, its the rule of law.

Can you really be this stupid or are you just trolling? I honestly can't tell. If you really truly don't get it, I can try again. But I tried being detail and citing sources, and I tried no sources and using small words.

Hence, are you daft or obtuse?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:28:46 am by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #250 on: July 13, 2015, 01:16:22 pm »

Calling someone an idiot is simply rude. Try "you have the reading comprehension of cat food" instead.

In all honesty, the disconnect between facts and reality on one hand, and what passes for common sense and a fantasy version of public policy on the other, shouldn't be surprising to anyone reading the comments section of a newspaper or some of our less enlightened FB groups here in Oklahoma where breathtaking stupidity is the norm.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2015, 01:38:00 pm »

Calling someone an idiot is simply rude. Try "you have the reading comprehension of cat food" instead.

In all honesty, the disconnect between facts and reality on one hand, and what passes for common sense and a fantasy version of public policy on the other, shouldn't be surprising to anyone reading the comments section of a newspaper or some of our less enlightened FB groups here in Oklahoma where breathtaking stupidity is the norm.

I do admit, compared to some comments I've read on old TW and Facebook, Cat Food there is just a minion of the supreme dumbasses.

I'm assuming that since Sauerkraut is okay with the monument he's also okay with one to Satan.  This would make him a Satan supporter, thus a Satanist.

So all of these folks who want the monument on state property are devil worshipers and I can't support that.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

Re:
« Reply #252 on: July 13, 2015, 02:45:39 pm »

He did it nicely though. My labrador could understand this based on the explanation that CF gave. Let's just stop talking about the 10 commandments and say we are removing the monument to the Decalogue. People won't care at all.

Really...this is the list that everyone loves so much, it's confounding.
1. No other gods
2. No graven images
3. Name in vain
4. Don't sweat on sabbath day
5. Honor ma and pa
6. No smoting
7. No sexy cheating
8. Don't pilfer
9. Don't lie about the homies
10. Don't covet (neighbor, neighbor's wife, neighbor's servants, animals, other stuff)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #253 on: July 13, 2015, 03:55:51 pm »

I think you're an idiot. I don't mean that as a true insult, I mean it as a statement of fact. You lack the intellectual capacity or otherwise refuse to discuss intelligently.

1) the separation of church and state was INTEGRAL to the Constitution. Read the document and supporting cases. Read the Federalist papers. Read something...

2) THE CASE IN OKLAHOMA WAS NOT DECIDED ON FEDERAL ISSUES, IT WAS DECIDED BASED ON THE OKLAHOMA CONSTITUTION.

THE OKLHOMA 10 COMMANDMENTS CASE WAS DECIDED BASED ON THE OKLAHOMA CONSTITUTION.

Got it? This is clearly stated in the opinion (which you haven't read), the news articles (you didn't bother with), and in this thread (which you won't read). Maybe all caps will do it?

3) In Oklahoma, it is against the law to use public property to even indirectly benefit any religion.

4) Constitutional issues don't go to a vote. We have a system of government with three branches (which Calling can't name). Fairness has nothing to do with it, its the rule of law.

Can you really be this stupid or are you just trolling? I honestly can't tell. If you really truly don't get it, I can try again. But I tried being detail and citing sources, and I tried no sources and using small words.

Hence, are you daft or obtuse?

What is tragic is that he really is that way.  He really believes the stuff Faux News stuffs down his gullet.  And he is truly representative of a way too large segment of the Oklahoma population.

And that is the overlying goal of Failin', Inhofe, and the other ilk.  It is why they cut education funding instead of increasing it. 

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #254 on: July 13, 2015, 06:57:31 pm »

Fallin is doing what the residents of Oklahoma want. There is no "Seperation of church & state"  clause in the federal constitution, all the constitution says is the gov't cannot make or force a state religion on the people.

Having a monument of a single religion is fine on state property so long as we didn't pay the construction costs? The SC tossed it out because it's on state property.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org