A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:28:58 am
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Commandments to go on State Capitol  (Read 183176 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #225 on: July 07, 2015, 12:32:15 pm »

Governor said she "tain't movin' these 'mandments."
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #226 on: July 07, 2015, 10:04:37 pm »

Governor said she "tain't movin' these 'mandments."

“Oklahoma is state where we respect the rule of law, and we will not ignore the state courts or their decisions,” Fallin said. “However, we are also a state with three co-equal branches of government.”
...of which she is one of those branches.  I wonder what she will decide?

Failin wont move the monument because she believes the court will change its mind in the future, so as the ACLU pointed out, can we just go a head and open marijuana dispensaries now since we know they will be legal in the future?

Her contempt seems an impeachable offense.  I wonder if Jari Askins is still interested in the job.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #227 on: July 08, 2015, 03:18:30 pm »

Well, if people are going to discuss the propriety of impeachment (which will not happen. Impeachable offenses do not get you impeached. UNPOPULAR impeachable offenses get you impeached), we need to educate ourselves on what is an impeachable offense. Otherwise, we'd just be making up stuff and pretending we understand the legal process. And who would do such a thing?

Impeachment:
51 Okla. stat. § 51:

Quote from: 51 OS 51
The Governor and other elective state officers, including the Justices of the Supreme Court, shall be liable and subject to impeachment for willful neglect of duty, corruption in office, habitual drunkenness, incompetency, or any offense involving moral turpitude committed while in office.

The Oath of Office:

Quote from: Oath of Office
I, Mary Fallin, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support, obey, and defend the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution of the State of Oklahoma, and that I will not, knowingly, receive, directly or indirectly, any money or other valuable thing, for the performance or nonperformance of any act or duty pertaining to my office, other than the compensation allowed by law; I further swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully discharge my duties as Governor to the best of my ability.

/s/ Mary Fallin

The Loyalty Oath:

Quote from: Loyalty Oath
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America and the Constitution and the laws of the State of Oklahoma, and that I will faithfully discharge, according to the best of my ability, the duties of my office or employment during such time as I am Governor.

/s/ Mary Fallin

Here is a photo of Governor Fallin signing the oaths in front of the Chief Justice of the Oklahoma Supreme Court:

She has sworn, in front of the Chief Justice, to support the Constitution and laws of the State of Oklahoma. You know, the Constitution of Oklahoma... the second highest law in the land (after the US Constitution pursuant to Article 1 Section 1 of all post reconstruction states).

Quote from: OK Constitution
Oklahoma Constitution, Article 4, § 1. Departments of government - Separation and distinction.

The powers of the government of the State of Oklahoma shall be divided into three separate departments: The Legislative, Executive, and Judicial; and except as provided in this Constitution, the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial departments of government shall be separate and distinct, and neither shall exercise the powers properly belonging to either of the others.

The legislature makes the law.
The executive enforces the law.
The judiciary interprets the law (which includes the constitution).

So the legislature has drafted and ratified a constitution (the law). The judiciary has interpreted the constitution (the law). And the executive has simply refused to do their part.

Quote from: OK Constitution
Oklahoma Constitution, Article 6, § 8. Execution of laws - Intercourse with other states and United States - Conservator of peace.

The Governor shall cause the laws of the State to be faithfully executed, and shall conduct in person or in such manner as may be prescribed by law, all intercourse and business of the State with other states and with the United States, and he shall be a conservator of the peace throughout the State.

The law of the state is very clear. Even without the Supreme Court ruling the law was very clear. It was ignored under a pretext ("I am the Lord thy God, though shalt have no Gods before me!" is not a secular statement of law or a monument to historical events...), great political pandering. But it has now been ORDERED removed in an unambiguous manner (the entire opinion is very brief and simple). Her job is to conduct herself in such manner as may be prescribed by law.

I have not found any authority that says the governor is to execute the laws of the State or abide by the Constitution unless she doesn't like it. I haven't seen anything that says she doesn't have to abide by the Constitution if she is working on having it changed. I have read the entire Oklahoma Constitution, that isn't in there. She may seek a stay pending appeal (or rehearing), but I have found no authority, and been presented with none, stating that she may simply ignore her duty.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:20:01 pm by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #228 on: July 08, 2015, 09:42:06 pm »

I have not found any authority that says the governor is to execute the laws of the State or abide by the Constitution unless she doesn't like it. I haven't seen anything that says she doesn't have to abide by the Constitution if she is working on having it changed. I have read the entire Oklahoma Constitution, that isn't in there. She may seek a stay pending appeal (or rehearing), but I have found no authority, and been presented with none, stating that she may simply ignore her duty.

Well done.

“Frankly, I would be astonished if we get to a point where the governor outright defies an order of our state’s highest court,” Kiesel said. “That said, if she does, there is a word for it. It is called contempt.”
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capitol_report/gov-mary-fallin-monument-unmoved-by-supreme-court-s-ten/article_b6a922ce-2d5e-5675-9929-5f18658ee5b9.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2015, 09:58:45 am »

Is this the "offender?"

I refuse to believe our legislature is that stupid.

The alternative is that our legislature is the same as an obnoxious child throwing a fit in Walmart.

Not sure which is better.

How long have you lived in this state??

Oklahoma legislature has always been that stupid.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2015, 11:45:59 am »

Thank you Mary Fallin for standing up with the people of Oklahoma and not the  judges who write law instead of doing their job. The 10 comandments stay! Smiley

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2015, 11:50:28 am »

“Oklahoma is state where we respect the rule of law, and we will not ignore the state courts or their decisions,” Fallin said. “However, we are also a state with three co-equal branches of government.”
...of which she is one of those branches.  I wonder what she will decide?

Failin wont move the monument because she believes the court will change its mind in the future, so as the ACLU pointed out, can we just go a head and open marijuana dispensaries now since we know they will be legal in the future?

Her contempt seems an impeachable offense.  I wonder if Jari Askins is still interested in the job.

The court is not doing it's job, they are writing laws instead of interpreting them. The monument was also paid for with private funds so the court had no business in the case anyhow, the governor is doing good by not following an illegal ruling. The court was following an political agenda not doing it's legal job-  A idea I heard was to let the people of Oklahoma vote on the issue- what could be more fair than that?

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2015, 11:55:26 am »

The court is not doing it's job, they are writing laws instead of interpreting them. The monument was also paid for with private funds so the court had no business in the case anyhow, the governor is doing good by not following an illegal ruling. The court was following an political agenda not doing it's legal job-  A idea I heard was to let the people of Oklahoma vote on the issue- what could be more fair than that?

So you'll be okay with a privately funded monument to the history of Satan?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #233 on: July 09, 2015, 12:25:40 pm »

How are they NOT interpreting that section of the State Constitution which plainly states why the monument cannot stay?

You sir, are a blathering IDIOT.  You cannot pick and choose what laws to follow just because you don't like them.  She (and AG Pruitt) are acting like spoiled children.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #234 on: July 09, 2015, 03:03:13 pm »

Oh, I  think I'm beginning to understand. Here on Bizarro World,  "illegal" has a completely different meaning than it does in the real world. Judges state quite plainly that something contravenes the state constitution, therefore their ruling is illegal.

Let's legalize illegal drugs in order to make more people more normal through more science. It's the moral thing to do.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #235 on: July 09, 2015, 03:35:37 pm »

I understand that my detailed analysis with laws, constitutional quotes, and links to underlying documents is too complicated for some people (you) to understand. I try to make simple for you.

1) OK Constitution says can't put religious stuff on state property.
2) Government put religious stuff on state property.
3) Court read constitution, told government can't put religious stuff on state property.

That is it. Really truly, it is that simple. No interpretation or tortured legal reasoning needed. Just read one sentence of the Oklahoma Constitution and the case is done.

I have three questions and a statement:

1) Have you read the decision?   - I know the answer is no. So scroll up, click the link, and read the entire 1 page. Or admit your an idiot who talks about things they don't understand.
2) Explain how it is "illegal" utilizing the 200 year old doctrine outlined in Marbury v. Madison as it applies to plan reading of the Oklahoma Constitution.
3) Explain how interpreting plain language is political and, if concluding it is, explain how any decision of any court could then avoid being "political."

You exemplify everything wrong with America. It isn't disagreement I have a problem with, its ignorance. You have no clue what you're talking about and have no desire to improve that situation, yet we allow you to vote. This "universal suffrage" thing may need to be reconsidered.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #236 on: July 09, 2015, 04:32:07 pm »

Oh, I  think I'm beginning to understand. Here on Bizarro World,  "illegal" has a completely different meaning than it does in the real world.

Illegal is a sick bird.   Grin

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #237 on: July 09, 2015, 04:34:12 pm »

I understand that my detailed analysis with laws, constitutional quotes, and links to underlying documents is too complicated for some people (you) to understand. I try to make simple for you.

1) OK Constitution says can't put religious stuff on state property.
2) Government put religious stuff on state property.
3) Court read constitution, told government can't put religious stuff on state property.

That is it. Really truly, it is that simple. No interpretation or tortured legal reasoning needed. Just read one sentence of the Oklahoma Constitution and the case is done.

I have three questions and a statement:

1) Have you read the decision?   - I know the answer is no. So scroll up, click the link, and read the entire 1 page. Or admit your an idiot who talks about things they don't understand.
2) Explain how it is "illegal" utilizing the 200 year old doctrine outlined in Marbury v. Madison as it applies to plan reading of the Oklahoma Constitution.
3) Explain how interpreting plain language is political and, if concluding it is, explain how any decision of any court could then avoid being "political."

You exemplify everything wrong with America. It isn't disagreement I have a problem with, its ignorance. You have no clue what you're talking about and have no desire to improve that situation, yet we allow you to vote. This "universal suffrage" thing may need to be reconsidered.

I don't think it's ignorance so much as laziness, CF.  Many people will go to one source (I wonder which) to get spoon-fed their news and talking points for the day, without taking the time to research a little.  And the current electronic media isn't helping any.  On either side.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #238 on: July 09, 2015, 04:40:10 pm »

You have no clue what you're talking about and have no desire to improve that situation, yet we allow you to vote. This "universal suffrage" thing may need to be reconsidered.

Suffrage with an extra "e" suffEr-age might explain it.   Grin

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #239 on: July 09, 2015, 06:33:50 pm »

I don't think it's ignorance so much as laziness, CF.  Many people will go to one source (I wonder which) to get spoon-fed their news and talking points for the day, without taking the time to research a little.  And the current electronic media isn't helping any.  On either side.

WINNER!!!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org