A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:04:52 pm
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Commandments to go on State Capitol  (Read 181959 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2013, 12:44:26 pm »

Now that I think of it, my son and daughter believe in magic elves that live on shelves just before Christmas, perhaps some day they can share that with you.  I'm glad to know you would never make fun of that.

Those elves are used to control the children through a type of fear.  "Don't be bad, the elf is watching.  He'll tell Santa."

I guess I can see where you'd circle around to that.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2013, 01:13:30 pm »

It is not the goal of every Jew, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or Hindu to indoctrinate you.  If you are solid and comfortable in your beliefs or lack thereof, that fear should not exist. 

Do you rail on about irresponsible government spending because you're scared of government or because you believe the government should spend its money responsibly? Not all of us live in fear, my friend.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2013, 02:16:30 pm »

If you have a fear like that, there's more than just a doubt in your philosophy.

That was my pont. 

There is no need to ridicule another for what they choose to believe, unless you have some motivation to do so.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2013, 02:24:10 pm »

Do you rail on about irresponsible government spending because you're scared of government or because you believe the government should spend its money responsibly? Not all of us live in fear, my friend.

Indeed I fear government and its growth.  We all should.
Of course there are always those who suffer from eleutherophobia and dream of government as their provider. 
I think I actually fear those people the most.

To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. . .I place economy among the first and most important of republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared. – President Thomas Jefferson

Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. – George Washington

Love your country but fear its government. – N.E. folk wisdom

When the government fears the people, it is liberty. When the people fear the government, it is tyranny. – Thomas Paine

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2013, 02:25:57 pm »

Those elves are used to control the children through a type of fear.  "Don't be bad, the elf is watching.  He'll tell Santa."

I guess I can see where you'd circle around to that.

Will you deprive your child of the magic of childhood?

My daughter has such a friend in her class at school.  He is a very sad little boy.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2013, 02:36:39 pm »

That was my pont. 

There is no need to ridicule another for what they choose to believe, unless you have some motivation to do so.

OK, great talk Russ.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2013, 02:39:26 pm »

Will you deprive your child of the magic of childhood?

My daughter has such a friend in her class at school.  He is a very sad little boy.

Where do you draw the line at "magic"?

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2013, 03:49:06 pm »

Indeed I fear government and its growth.  We all should.

Government is nothing more than a tool, my friend. Fearing government is like fearing a screwdriver.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2013, 04:10:16 pm »

Government is nothing more than a tool, my friend. Fearing government is like fearing a screwdriver.

There are millions of people that would argue that point if they could.   Wink

Government is force, it is not inherently benevolent, in fact history teaches us otherwise.  The more power we feed it, the less controlled it becomes.  As it expands, liberty contracts.

It took about 150 years, starting with a Bill of Rights that reserved to the states and the people all powers not explicitly delegated to the federal government, to produce a Supreme Court willing to rule that growing corn to feed to your own hogs is interstate commerce and can therefore be regulated by Congress. – David Friedman

Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness. – George Washington

The more power a government has the more it can act arbitrarily according to the whims and desires of the elite, and the more it will make war on others and murder its foreign and domestic subjects. The more constrained the power of governments, the more power is diffused, checked, and balanced, the less it will aggress on others and commit democide. – R. J. Rummel

You can't give the government the power to do good without also giving it the power to do bad – in fact, to do anything it wants. – Harry Browne

The power which a multiple millionaire, who may be my neighbor and perhaps my employer, has over me is very much less than that which the smallest "functionaire" possesses who wields the coercive power of the state, and on whose desecration it depends whether and how I am allowed to live or to work. – Frederich von Hayek

Powerful government tends to draw into it people with bloated egos, people who think they know more than everyone else and have little hesitance in coercing their fellow man. Or as Nobel Laureate Friedrich Hayek said, "in government, the scum rises to the top". – Walter E. Williams

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2013, 05:22:10 pm »

Government is what we make of it. It is not an "other," it is in fact us. Ours is, anyway. That's the whole point of that "freedom" thing we've been trying to spread around the world. It's not freedom from government, it's freedom of government.

A picture of atrocities committed by a desperate people on the command of an unelected dictator doesn't make me fear government. It makes me fear opportunistic sociopaths who prey on the weak and use the media to froth up deep hatred toward minority groups by blaming the nation's ills on them and casting them as subhuman.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2013, 05:29:23 pm »

Government is what we make of it. It is not an "other," it is in fact us. Ours is, anyway. That's the whole point of that "freedom" thing we've been trying to spread around the world. It's not freedom from government, it's freedom of government.

A picture of atrocities committed by a desperate people on the command of an unelected dictator doesn't make me fear government. It makes me fear opportunistic sociopaths who prey on the weak and use the media to froth up deep hatred toward minority groups by blaming the nation's ills on them and casting them as subhuman.

Wait, didn't you just describe quite a bit of the Republican Party?  That part known as the Tea Party?

Shocked

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2013, 07:47:22 pm »

Ginning up racial discord amongst minorities toward the white and wealthy is just as dangerous.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2013, 07:53:11 pm »

Wait, didn't you just describe quite a bit of the Republican Party?  That part known as the Tea Party?

Shocked

Most likely OWS. Those damned 1%ers cheated, lied, stole blah blah blah. We gotta make em pay.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2013, 07:59:03 pm »

Ginning up racial discord amongst minorities toward the white and wealthy is just as dangerous.

Wait, didn't you just describe quite a bit of the democrat party?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2013, 10:21:00 pm »

Wait, didn't you just describe quite a bit of the democrat party?

Why yes, yes I did!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org