A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:16:25 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Commandments to go on State Capitol  (Read 181940 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2013, 11:16:59 am »

I'm not buying that.  Yes, a few atheists and agnostics will attend services for community, but even that is growing fewer and fewer as communities are growing for them.  In addition to that, there are several of the 10 commandments that they absolutely will not agree to, and just about every single one that I know (and I'm willing to bet I know a few more than you) disagree with the 10 commandments being a "beautiful foundation for the development of happy young people."  While there are some "universal" rules within that are found in just about every society out there. Erecting this on public property is unconstitutional, and nothing more than an attempt to push Christianity onto the rest of us.

I believe the Unitarian Universalist faith is growing these days at a much faster rate than others and you will find many agnostics and atheists within those walls every Sunday.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2013, 11:48:43 am »

I believe the Unitarian Universalist faith is growing these days at a much faster rate than others and you will find many agnostics and atheists within those walls every Sunday.

i am not sure if it has been pointed out on here, but tulsa has the largest single-church UU congregation in the world:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Souls_Unitarian_Church_(Tulsa,_Oklahoma)#Largest_Unitarian_Universalist_congregation

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2013, 11:51:33 am »

you will find many agnostics and atheists within those walls every Sunday.

Doing what?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2013, 12:05:22 pm »

Doing what?

Having a party.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2013, 01:09:18 pm »

Spent several years at All Soles on Peoria.  In the youth services they would bring in ministers, rabbis, pastors, Swamis, Zen Monks, and teach all kinds of philosophy.  We would take field trips to other places of worship to learn about other beliefs. We typically got a warm welcome, except from the Baptists.  They did the same in the adult services.  Dr. Wolf would share stories from all of the popular faiths, and even some I had never heard of.

The congregation was typically very socially liberal and very libertarian politically.  That was probably the breeding ground for much of my social, philosophical, and political views.
Most of my friends from that group grew up to be very successful and productive members of society with very broad and welcoming views on all flavors of faith, and the basic human need to believe in something greater than yourself.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2013, 01:15:08 pm »

Doing what?

You know, agnostic and atheist stuff.  We went to All Souls for a time when I was growing up and I've been in recent years as well.  I like the congregation and the services.  One of the more interesting UU congregations I've visited is the one in Eufreaka Springs, Ark.  On the Sunday we visited, the sermon was some tract on economics from the 1870's.  A little dry and bizarre if you are from another tradition, but still quite interesting.

Our lifestyle pretty much dictates "church behind bars" (long bike rides) on Sundays, so we really don't make going to a brick and mortar church a priority.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:18:25 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2013, 01:24:52 pm »

You know, agnostic and atheist stuff.  We went to All Souls for a time when I was growing up and I've been in recent years as well.  I like the congregation and the services.  One of the more interesting UU congregations I've visited is the one in Eufreaka Springs, Ark.  On the Sunday we visited, the sermon was some tract on economics from the 1870's.  A little dry and bizarre if you are from another tradition, but still quite interesting.

Our lifestyle pretty much dictates "church behind bars" (long bike rides) on Sundays, so we really don't make going to a brick and mortar church a priority.

Nature is God's finest church.  Even whizzing by at 23mph. Wink
"Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift a stone, and you will find me."

shadows
City Father

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2013, 04:33:33 pm »

We do not have the mental capacity or the “pass word” to expand our knowledge to come to an absolute conclusion of a universe that is created in a void. We owe to the seemly super race in their conflict with the Jew as we associate trying to combine the two books of a creation into one.  The ten commandants were the 10 laws of Moses applying to the Israelites appearing in his six books.  Under the assertion in the second book it was to apply “first to the Jew and then to the Gentile”.  It is well that we are able to place monuments before buildings dedicated to our floundering societies who has the ability to create laws. Man since he was able to convey thought has sought to find his creator along with associating with fellow travelers.

Still as always there are the non-believers who would paint all walls black, and display nature as our creator, only to drag man through the mire of uncertainty of depending on blood or salt water for our existence.

They say there were no Atheist in the foxholes in Europe.  I don’t believe they could have been found among the parents in the massacres of the schools, theater and streets.   Their last resort is believing they may have a next time around.     

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2013, 04:36:26 pm »

We do not have the mental capacity or the “pass word” to expand our knowledge to come to an absolute conclusion of a universe that is created in a void. We owe to the seemly super race in their conflict with the Jew as we associate trying to combine the two books of a creation into one.  The ten commandants were the 10 laws of Moses applying to the Israelites appearing in his six books.  Under the assertion in the second book it was to apply “first to the Jew and then to the Gentile”.  It is well that we are able to place monuments before buildings dedicated to our floundering societies who has the ability to create laws. Man since he was able to convey thought has sought to find his creator along with associating with fellow travelers.

Still as always there are the non-believers who would paint all walls black, and display nature as our creator, only to drag man through the mire of uncertainty of depending on blood or salt water for our existence.

They say there were no Atheist in the foxholes in Europe.  I don’t believe they could have been found among the parents in the massacres of the schools, theater and streets.   Their last resort is believing they may have a next time around.     

So, how's it going?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2013, 04:39:21 pm »

. . .and with that I need a drink.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2013, 04:43:38 pm »

. . .and with that I need a drink.

You know it's bad if you and I are in agreement about the crazy.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2013, 05:24:33 pm »

No, it is also Islamic.
No, it is not Islamic.  While they have some similar passages within their scripture, and they believe in the same god, they do not have the 10 commandments.  You can try to build this strawman all you want, but it doesn't pass the mustard, and the Judeo-Christian 10 commandments being placed in public places is still endorsing that religion over others, thus making it unconstitutional. 
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2013, 05:28:57 pm »

More theist agnostic than atheist.  I would put the majority closer to a 4 - 5 on the Dawkin's scale.  Also, the news article that I'm assuming you're basing your claim on was a bad piece anyhow and really distanced the church more from the atheists that they were trying to extend an invitation to than draw them in (though it still may have brought a few). 
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2013, 05:36:02 pm »

You can argue from ignorance all you want, but it gives no more proof of your god than any other argument that exists.  And as far as the claim that there are no atheists (description, not a title, no capital needed) in foxholes (or were in Europe) is also a fallacy.  While you might have been more hard press to find one at the time who would admit it, given that they would have been ostracized over it, there are many who have come forward since, and many face death now without reverting to their indoctrination of their pasts.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2013, 08:23:51 pm »

More theist agnostic than atheist.  I would put the majority closer to a 4 - 5 on the Dawkin's scale.  Also, the news article that I'm assuming you're basing your claim on was a bad piece anyhow and really distanced the church more from the atheists that they were trying to extend an invitation to than draw them in (though it still may have brought a few). 

I have no clue what "article" you are referring to nor what a Dawkins scale is. 

I have friends from all walks who are regular attendees and even a couple of friends who are UU ministers on the east coast.  UU is pretty cool because you can roll your own when it comes to your belief system.  Many people from the remnants of Carton Pearson's church ended up there. I also know Jews, athiests, agnostics, and yes, even Bible thumpers who have attended at one time or another. It's a comfortable place for people leery of human-influenced religious dogma.  I'm not near as enamored with the present minister as I was of John Wolfe.  He was an amazing human and teacher.

All that seems to be in common with the members is a desire to grow spiritually and be a part of a micro community. 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org