A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:31:39 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Commandments to go on State Capitol  (Read 181920 times)
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2012, 05:35:32 pm »

If they were going to plagiarize this they should have at least put it in hebrew. I don't think it makes any sense anyway. They may have been installed but they are not instilled. Nobody knows and nobody really cares. It's just a pawn in the culture war game.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2012, 10:28:54 pm »

I think it is funny that we post a protestant Christian monument outside the building where the no-sharia law was signed.  Surely no way that could be interpreted as the State favoring one religion over others.

Easy argument:  other than no murder and no steeling they are all religious laws.  Every society forever has had those two laws...  so hard to argue the USA only thought of them because of the 10 Commandments.  "I am the Lord thy God" is in no way a law in thos country, and if we outlawed coveting our economy would collapse!

Lawsuit comes.  We waste a million and then pay fees to whoever challenges it. Painfully predictable.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2012, 10:47:55 pm »

If we're going to pretend to some false equivalency, I for one demand a large stone carving of spaghetti and meatballs be installed on the capitol grounds. It would be a good idea to include this giant turtle too:

We really should honor those native American myths just as much as we honor our own.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2012, 09:03:16 am »

I think it is funny that we post a protestant Christian monument outside the building where the no-sharia law was signed.  Surely no way that could be interpreted as the State favoring one religion over others.

Easy argument:  other than no murder and no steeling they are all religious laws.  Every society forever has had those two laws...  so hard to argue the USA only thought of them because of the 10 Commandments.  "I am the Lord thy God" is in no way a law in thos country, and if we outlawed coveting our economy would collapse!

Lawsuit comes.  We waste a million and then pay fees to whoever challenges it. Painfully predictable.

We can then send the legal bill to Mike Ritze

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
shadows
City Father

« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2013, 01:13:08 pm »

If we're going to pretend to some false equivalency, I for one demand a large stone carving of spaghetti and meatballs be installed on the capitol grounds. It would be a good idea to include this giant turtle too:

We really should honor those native American myths just as much as we honor our own.
______________________________________________________________________________________
There is a broad conflict between the Native Americans establishing the celebration ThanksGivings with the colonies who were starving, without food which some archives reported lasted 7 days.

Now it is the 10 commandment, which is a moral standard trying to embrace a slipping moral society that truly need a new set of rules.  Would it not be more appropriate to place a monument on the four corners of 61st and Peoria street, over the door of City hall and a few other chosen locations? 

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2013, 01:57:08 pm »

______________________________________________________________________________________
There is a broad conflict between the Native Americans establishing the celebration ThanksGivings with the colonies who were starving, without food which some archives reported lasted 7 days.

Now it is the 10 commandment, which is a moral standard trying to embrace a slipping moral society that truly need a new set of rules.  Would it not be more appropriate to place a monument on the four corners of 61st and Peoria street, over the door of City hall and a few other chosen locations? 

What would make it appropriate in either case?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2013, 09:39:40 am »

This is all natural as society changes and social cohesion breaks down, and people push for disambiguation.

What used to be the simple accepted "codes" that held communities together and founded the basis of law are deemed unnecessary, and any form of morality, civility, chivalry, or responsibility becomes inappropriate. Bad is good, and good is bad.  The simple mental practice of habituation based on experience, knowledge, and history is deemed wrong. 

Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism offer wonderful collections of moral tails and reasoning designed to help men live together in peace.  Religion is successful when it provides answers and guidance outside of, and complementary to reason.  That is its purpose, whether you choose to believe in a deity or simply admire the stories and what they teach.

I know many atheists, and agnostics that still attend church and synagogue, not for the purpose of glorifying a god they do not accept, but for the meditation, peaceful assembly, community, and wisdom offered there.  Many of these folks have children, and have come to learn that simple rules like the 10 Commandments are beautiful foundations for the development of happy young people. 

Flame away, but we are not alone in history.  Temples and churches have been burned, monuments toppled, and oracles slain.  This stuff just happens from time to time.  It's a symptom, that rarely results in the enlightenment promoted by its agressors.

It will pass, but not without pain. There will always be the need for answers beyond science, and wisdom beyond self-indulgence. It is simply part of our nature.  Government should be separate from religion, however you cannot divorce religion from society.  That is the battle.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2013, 09:51:36 am »

And G thinks I deliver sermons?

Still some truth there.

onward...through the fog
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2013, 10:16:56 am »

I know many atheists, and agnostics that still attend church and synagogue, not for the purpose of glorifying a god they do not accept, but for the meditation, peaceful assembly, community, and wisdom offered there.  Many of these folks have children, and have come to learn that simple rules like the 10 Commandments are beautiful foundations for the development of happy young people. 

I'm not buying that.  Yes, a few atheists and agnostics will attend services for community, but even that is growing fewer and fewer as communities are growing for them.  In addition to that, there are several of the 10 commandments that they absolutely will not agree to, and just about every single one that I know (and I'm willing to bet I know a few more than you) disagree with the 10 commandments being a "beautiful foundation for the development of happy young people."  While there are some "universal" rules within that are found in just about every society out there. Erecting this on public property is unconstitutional, and nothing more than an attempt to push Christianity onto the rest of us.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2013, 10:37:54 am »

Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism offer wonderful collections of moral tails and reasoning designed to help men live together in peace.  Religion is successful when it provides answers and guidance outside of, and complementary to reason.  That is its purpose, whether you choose to believe in a deity or simply admire the stories and what they teach.

Well said.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2013, 10:39:03 am »

I'm not buying that.  Yes, a few atheists and agnostics will attend services for community, but even that is growing fewer and fewer as communities are growing for them.  In addition to that, there are several of the 10 commandments that they absolutely will not agree to, and just about every single one that I know (and I'm willing to bet I know a few more than you) disagree with the 10 commandments being a "beautiful foundation for the development of happy young people."  While there are some "universal" rules within that are found in just about every society out there. Erecting this on public property is unconstitutional, and nothing more than an attempt to push Christianity onto the rest of us.

The 10 Commandments is not Christian.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2013, 10:50:21 am »

Tell that to my Sunday School teachers.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2013, 10:50:33 am »

It IS Judeo-Christian though.

You're parsing now..wait...what?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2013, 11:01:49 am »

It IS Judeo-Christian though.

You're parsing now..wait...what?

No, it is also Islamic.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2013, 11:10:09 am »

No, it is also Islamic.

Different tablets.  Those weren't broken.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org