A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:01:11 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets talk pizza  (Read 36757 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 11:22:32 am »

Jeno's.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Danny
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 11:41:21 am »

anyone remember Hemis?

makes me think of a few that I miss,
Hemis
Shotgun Sams (the original, w/ the live music, not the version towards the end)
Shakeys on Admiral
Leas
Aa5drvr
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 01:03:40 pm »

My Pi
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 02:16:50 pm »

La Roma near 61st & Sheridan is one of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 04:10:16 pm »

La Roma near 61st & Sheridan is one of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned.
Good call.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 09:23:18 pm »

Jeno's.

The make the best tiny folded pizzas of anyone.
Bumby
Activist

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 07:40:32 am »

Even I will make the drive to Savastano's and the places I deem worthy of a drive out south are few and literally far between.  Really like their Italian sausage.

Years ago, the night before a long car trip, I ordered a pizza from Umberto's.  It was so salty that the next day we were stopping for beverages and therefore needing to stop....every hour or so.  This happened last century and I've heard things have changed since then.  I guess it's time to try Umberto's again.

buckeye
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 09:01:58 am »

La Roma is terrific.  Simple, unpretentious, made-with-love kind of pizza.

Joe Mama's is also very good.

Sonoma and Stone Horse have good stuff, although 'fancy' pizza is a different genre in my book.

At Hideaway, I have a spec pizza - thin crust, light cheese, light pepperoni; with garlic, oregano and basil.  If they're not too busy to get it right, it's a great pie.

I tried Pie Hole a few times many moons ago, just after it opened.  Terrible.  It must be better these days than formerly...
swampee
Citizen

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 07:15:47 am »

My favorite pizza in Tulsa is Marios. Its just like the pizza I grew up on in NYC and its close to where I live. I was pleasantly surprised how good Joe Mommas was when I took the family there a few weeks back, My hard to please mother in law actually enjoyed it too. That was a bonus so I  could enjoy a dinner without her complaining. Actually if the right worker makes your pizza Whole Foods has some good pies.

BierGarten
Activist

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 09:24:25 am »

Tucci's.

JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2009, 08:45:27 am »

I've got to give big kudos to Mario's and Umberto's as they are without question the best NY style pizza places in town. They also both have a cozy pizza joint atmosphere that compliments their big foldable slices.

Tucci's, while not a pizzeria, makes great pies and has one of the most romantic atmosphere's in town. It's a great place to go for a nice evening out on Cherry Street.

Hideaway is an institution and made higher priced specialty pizza a viable offering in this town. Without them, Joe Momma's would struggle to convince people that paying anything more than Mazzio's prices was acceptable. (Even though higher priced specialty pizza remains an excellent value - You can feed three people from one large at under 7 bucks a person. Beat that, non-pizza places!)

Speaking of Mazzio's - I have to say that our local chain guys are far superior to the national chain guys at Little Ceasar's, Domino's, and Pizza Hut. Papa John's....I like.

Savastano's, Andolini's, Pie Hole, Brothers, and La Roma all do it well and Hungry Howie's, though not my style, is doing something right as they seem to be always busy. Tulsa's a great place for pizza. There are tons of options, lots of diversity, a great selection of very local places and nearly all of them do a great job. There's only one place in town that makes pizza (it's not their primary offering) that seems to be universally considered to be offensive. Those are pretty good odds. I've been to cities much larger than Tulsa and made the rounds of their pizza places and every time I come home more proud of Tulsa's pizza. Maybe I'm just a homer, but I really think we do it well in Tulsa and I'm proud to be a part of the pizza scene here.

TU does a thing each year for the incoming students where they have all of us bring them pizzas so the students can sample all of the local offerings. I've always thought it was a great idea and wish the rest of us had an excuse to enjoy a sampling of Tulsa's pizza in one setting . 1st annual TulsaNow pizza party anyone? Drizzle, we should think about this.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2009, 10:17:19 am »

I've got to give big kudos to Mario's and Umberto's as they are without question the best NY style pizza places in town. They also both have a cozy pizza joint atmosphere that compliments their big foldable slices.

Tucci's, while not a pizzeria, makes great pies and has one of the most romantic atmosphere's in town. It's a great place to go for a nice evening out on Cherry Street.

Hideaway is an institution and made higher priced specialty pizza a viable offering in this town. Without them, Joe Momma's would struggle to convince people that paying anything more than Mazzio's prices was acceptable. (Even though higher priced specialty pizza remains an excellent value - You can feed three people from one large at under 7 bucks a person. Beat that, non-pizza places!)

Speaking of Mazzio's - I have to say that our local chain guys are far superior to the national chain guys at Little Ceasar's, Domino's, and Pizza Hut. Papa John's....I like.

Savastano's, Andolini's, Pie Hole, Brothers, and La Roma all do it well and Hungry Howie's, though not my style, is doing something right as they seem to be always busy. Tulsa's a great place for pizza. There are tons of options, lots of diversity, a great selection of very local places and nearly all of them do a great job. There's only one place in town that makes pizza (it's not their primary offering) that seems to be universally considered to be offensive. Those are pretty good odds. I've been to cities much larger than Tulsa and made the rounds of their pizza places and every time I come home more proud of Tulsa's pizza. Maybe I'm just a homer, but I really think we do it well in Tulsa and I'm proud to be a part of the pizza scene here.

TU does a thing each year for the incoming students where they have all of us bring them pizzas so the students can sample all of the local offerings. I've always thought it was a great idea and wish the rest of us had an excuse to enjoy a sampling of Tulsa's pizza in one setting . 1st annual TulsaNow pizza party anyone? Drizzle, we should think about this.

That TU pizza sampling sounds great, when is it and is it just for TU students?  This thread has convinced me of something I've known for a long time: Tulsa has a lot of great pizza places! 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 10:39:55 am »

Give Joe Momma some points for showing class in acknowledging other pizzeria's.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 11:52:51 am »

Give Joe Momma some points for showing class in acknowledging other pizzeria's.
+1 was thinking along those lines myself.   Just puts em higher in my books because they can come out and say "these folks are good too". Even gave props to Mazzios  Grin
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 12:04:24 pm »

Boy, I agree.  Hut, Papa Johns, and Ceasar's are dog food.  Nasty, nasty, nasty.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org