A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:30:09 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets talk pizza  (Read 36767 times)
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2009, 11:51:47 am »

Went to Savastanos night before last for the first time.  We absolutly loved it.  and you do get your moneys worth.  We both ate, and got full, then took the left overs to her dad and my mom, and I still took some to work the next day.  (we didn't share as much as we kept though)
Danny
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2009, 12:13:32 pm »

Umbertos definately has the friendliest staff, James, the delivery guy is the best, I walked in once and he greeted me by name, that really goes a long way for a customer, makes you feel special.
I used to live nearby and got to the point when they saw me coming they asked if I want the usual, thats the only place that has ever done that.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2009, 02:05:01 pm »

Umbertos definately has the friendliest staff, James, the delivery guy is the best, I walked in once and he greeted me by name, that really goes a long way for a customer, makes you feel special.
I used to live nearby and got to the point when they saw me coming they asked if I want the usual, thats the only place that has ever done that.

It's also easy with a small menu. I get my drink automatically at Joe Mommas over half the time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2009, 02:07:44 pm »

It's also easy with a small menu. I get my drink automatically at Joe Mommas over half the time.

That happens after 55 visits or so...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gold
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2009, 03:06:05 pm »

I fully expect the new Nelson's to have my iced tea and chocalate pie waiting on Day 1.
roscoe
Citizen

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2009, 05:55:45 am »

Minute Man in Prattville....None better...Been to them all....Make sure and order the Hall of Fame....

I love this place...

restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2009, 08:13:45 am »

Can't believe throughout this entire thread, (unless I tard-read) nobody has mentioned Uncle Vinny's. Never been to the Sheridan one - just the one out in BA. Larry, the owner, is a great guy. It is still run by the family. (not "The Family", Larry's family), and after I visited once, he has always greeted me by name. He's a New Yorker and knows how to make great pizza. On Friday nights, it is fun to watch the families come and go, and Little League teams, etc. A real sense of a "back east" community pizzeria.

Savastano's was good, but incredibly expensive for pizza.
Umberto's is good, but skimpy on the ingredients.
Hideaway is OK, but not my style.
Mario's changed after Mike passed away - the one in BA is no where near 51st street good.
Only tried NYC once... too much of a traffic hassle where they are to even remember the pizza.
Mazzio's is great for kids who think it is pizza.
Most chains are acceptable in a pinch. Pizza Hut's pastas are nasty. Worse than frozen dinner nasty.
Papa Murphy's just didn't do it for us.

Joe Momma's is great - mostly because "Mr. Joe Momma" (don't know if I can use his real name here) is on top of EVERYTHING. He takes his business seriously, and I think he understands that he is building something that will say "Tulsa" for a long time. I'm just happy to watch this business grow as downtown renews itself. He is also one of the few owners that listens to his clients, and welcomes feedback. The pizza is good, but not newyorky enough for me - even though I've been about 15 times. The calzone was very good last week.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2009, 11:12:56 am »

Went to Savastano's recently. Excellent pizza.

Also, it's the only place around I've found with a real Chicago dog. Several places claim to have Chicago dogs, but it's not a Chicago dog if you don't make it with Vienna beef and all the other correct ingredients.

I'll never understand the fascination with NY food in Tulsa: pizza and coneys mainly. That stuff is seemingly on every corner but the much better Chicago pizza and dogs are very hard to find.

godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2009, 12:17:58 pm »

Also, it's the only place around I've found with a real Chicago dog. Several places claim to have Chicago dogs, but it's not a Chicago dog if you don't make it with Vienna beef and all the other correct ingredients.

I'll never understand the fascination with NY food in Tulsa: pizza and coneys mainly. That stuff is seemingly on every corner but the much better Chicago pizza and dogs are very hard to find.

It has to do with how many people here are transplanted from the east coast.

Thank you,
Robert Town
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2009, 12:26:20 pm »

Yeah - I'm from the east coast (Baltimore, MD - Bodymore, Murderland), maybe that explains my love and preference for NY style pizza - but coneys, meh. I'd much rather have a Chicago dog any day. When I lived in NC, they prepared the hot dogs with cole slaw on top - those were good, too. Even when I lived in Puerto Rico, I hunted down NY style pizza. Speaking of Puerto Rico and food - man, I wish I could get some mofongo!
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 12:57:53 pm »

I've had NY style once, and that was while I was visiting DC.  Been wanting to find some more that measured up to that.  Savanastano's was the first time I've ever had chicago, and I loved it.  Also love Joe Momma's.  There is a place out in Catoosa called AJ's Heavenly Pizza that I used to eat years ago and have been wanting to eat at again, but they keep strange hours so they never seem to be open when I decide I'm going to get some.  Since this thread has started I've been trying the differant places as I can, and now I have a hard time doing delivery anymore, thanks folks lol.

I've got to ask, what is the differance between a NY coney and a Chicago coney? I've never found any that are the way I like em, with plump weiners, smothered in chili, with sour cream, cheese, and saurkraut.  Chili dogs should not be eaten any way but with a fork!!!
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2009, 03:00:04 pm »

I've had NY style once, and that was while I was visiting DC.  Been wanting to find some more that measured up to that.  Savanastano's was the first time I've ever had chicago, and I loved it.  Also love Joe Momma's.  There is a place out in Catoosa called AJ's Heavenly Pizza that I used to eat years ago and have been wanting to eat at again, but they keep strange hours so they never seem to be open when I decide I'm going to get some.  Since this thread has started I've been trying the differant places as I can, and now I have a hard time doing delivery anymore, thanks folks lol.

I've got to ask, what is the differance between a NY coney and a Chicago coney? I've never found any that are the way I like em, with plump weiners, smothered in chili, with sour cream, cheese, and saurkraut.  Chili dogs should not be eaten any way but with a fork!!!

This is a pizza thread - but at the risk of rebuke, I offer the following hot dog guide (stolen from interwebs) -

Regional Variations
Hot Dogs are served countless ways and vary greatly by region. Many cities are well known for their unique style of blending and configuring the ingredients on their Dogs. Hot Dogs not only differ by how they are prepared and accessorized, but also in size. Regular Hot Dogs are 6 inches in length (15 cm) and "footlong" Hot Dogs are twelve inches (30 cm) long. Here are some of the many popular ways Hot Dogs are served throughout the country:

Chicago - Vienna beef hot dog topped with chopped onions, diced/wedged tomatoes, a dill pickle spear, pickled hot peppers ("sport peppers"), pickle relish, mustard, and celery salt, and served on a poppyseed bun. 

Cincinnati - Usually served as a "cheese coney" with Cincinnati chili, shredded mild cheddar cheese, and sometimes chopped onion and/or mustard.

Upstate New York - There are two distinct types of hot dogs. There are Red Hots and White Hots. Red Hots are "normal" hot dogs while White Hots are plumper and were first made by Zweigles of Rochester N.Y.

New York  - The street cart-style hot dog is the Sabrett all-beef natural casing frank, boiled and served with onion sauce and deli mustard—or sauerkraut.

North Carolina - Also with chili and cole slaw, with the addition of mustard and onions. Referred to as a hot dog 'all the way.'

Pacific Northwest - Often enjoyed with some combination of ketchup, mustard, relish, and mayo.

Boston - Often served steamed as opposed to grilled. Ketchup, mustard, relish, picalilli, and chopped onions are common toppings. The "Fenway Frank" is a fixture for Red Sox fans.

West Virginia - Hot dogs are usually served with chili sauce (usually without beans) and cole slaw. When served without a wiener, it is locally called a "chili dog", much to the confusion of non-residents.

Rhode Island - Called New York Style Hot Wieners, and served with meat sauce, chopped onion, mustard, and celery salt.

Providence Rhode Island - Home of the excellent New York System Frank, your basic hot dog covered with a watery, all-beef chili, raw chopped onions and curry powder.

Detroit - Served as a "coney" with chili sauce, mustard, and onions on a steamed bun.

Kansas City - A Dog with sauerkraut and melted cheese.

New Jersey - Several styles of Hot Dogs are popular here: A "Potato Dog" has diced and stewed potatoes, brown mustard and served on spicy Sabrett® brand Hot Dog. "Texas Weiners" (chili dogs everywhere else) are Hot Dogs served with brown mustard, hot and spicy chili and diced raw onions. An "Italian Dog" has fried onions, peppers and potatoes.

Georgia - Especially, South Georgia, has a "Scrambled" Dog (or dawg). This is a cheap, usually red-skinned hot dog, on a toasted white bun and topped with mustard and spicy chili sauce.

Southern Slaw Dog - Topped with mustard, chili and cole slaw.

reference: http://www.hotdogchicagostyle.com/funfacts.php

Apparently, our coneys are actually "Detroit dogs" or Cincinnati dogs, not NY dogs. Coneys and Coney Island Amusement Park confusion? "Get yer Detroit and/or Cincinnati Coney here! Served in Tulsa, Oklahoma in a restaurant cleverly named after the park in New York where hot dogs were first introduced into the Americas! Get yer coney here!"

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2009, 03:05:21 pm »

New Jersey - Several styles of Hot Dogs are popular here: A "Potato Dog" has diced and stewed potatoes, brown mustard and served on spicy Sabrett® brand Hot Dog. "Texas Weiners" (chili dogs everywhere else) are Hot Dogs served with brown mustard, hot and spicy chili and diced raw onions. An "Italian Dog" has fried onions, peppers and potatoes.

For a head's up I don't recall ever hearing anyone referring to them as "Texas Weiners".  Also...potato?  Nope, no potato.
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2009, 03:17:13 pm »

For a head's up I don't recall ever hearing anyone referring to them as "Texas Weiners".  Also...potato?  Nope, no potato.

Dude, it's Noo Joi-zee, waddaya expect? Ever been to Jersey? Doesn't surprise me they put taters on their dogs. I don't think I'd eat them, either.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2009, 03:21:52 pm »

Dude, it's Noo Joi-zee, waddaya expect? Ever been to Jersey? Doesn't surprise me they put taters on their dogs. I don't think I'd eat them, either.

LOL, actually, I think Townsend IS from New Jersey.

Old joke:

The difference between garbage and Jersey girls?  The garbage gets taken out every now and then. 

I suspect the angry, ugly white women will start protesting me now.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org