A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:14:12 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $38 million development being proposed across from BOK Center  (Read 93341 times)
mjchamplin
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 07:55:31 am »

This looks promising. I've got my fingers crossed...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 08:25:58 am »

I love the design.  I love the concept of having an "open black" to encourage people to move through the development.  Structure underground parking.  An urban feel without being cold.  Mixed use retail, office, hotel and living space.  An entire block.  $38,000,000 in private money downtown.  An impressive list of potential clients, names, investors, and developers involved.

I'm drooling over this development.

BUT, I refuse, REFUSE to get my hopes up.  Remember Gaspar's project? It was also $38,000,000 (exact same number), mixed use, and had structured parking.  It was scuttled for a Hampton Inn with surface parking.  Which also never happened:
http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=11644.0

I also remember some much hyped project that demanded we move the bus station and tear down Coney Islander.  Which walked away.  Not sure on the details on that one.

I like this one better than Gaspar's (sorry!) because it has a much more holistic feel to it.  Instead of just occupying the block it utilizes the space while leaving open spaces and inviting people to walk through.  I really like the idea presented.

I want to be excited, but I won't let myself.  75% of projects announced as being close to happening never do.  They just fade away.  So I'll be hopeful but just sit and wait on this one too.

As for the tract of land.  It was being offered for a similar price to previous developers.  The TDA's goal is to acquire land and dispose of it to facilitate development.   Not to land grab and hold it to make money.  Make a few bucks to aid in future TDA goals, but apparently they are not selling it for that much below market or someone would have grabbed it up already and started something.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 08:41:55 am »

FYI, a movie showing various renderings is posted online here:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/content/2009/one_place/regular.aspx

In the renderings the tallest building is 6 stories (don't care). 

And here's what we get from the local trolls;

Carie commented on KJRH.com
Really? THat is where I park for work. There isn't enough parking downtown anyway, so they want to take away what there is!!!!! So they will put in shops that will only have people there during the day or if there is a concert. No One will shop there on the weekends. Totally against this!!!!!!
http://www.kjrh.com/news/local/story/A-new-Downtown-Tulsa-development-proposal/1CvmRsU4T0q6KNbHxCLdVA.cspx?p=Comments

No one goes downtown.  So don't build anything downtown, because then they might have a reason to go downtown.  Therefor, no one will go downtown.

And the loss of a surface parking lot?  God forbid.  I hate people.  If you park there for work, you should know that there are THOUSANDS of parking spots within blocks which you could also park at for work.

AND... there is an updated World story on it:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090506_11_A1_Thisar949897
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 08:43:36 am by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
mjchamplin
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 08:57:48 am »

I think that when people complain about not having enough parking downtown they're really complaining about having to pay to park.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 08:58:31 am »

Looks fantastic!  For the first time in a long time, I'm feeling optimistic about the site and the proposed development.  I have faith in this developer, and like the idea of "keeping it local" with the proposed retail, etc.  I also appreciate the conceptual drawing, and how it shows a variety of facades, lots of windows and entrances, and it's built to the sidewalk...just like an urban street is supposed to be!  

The cut-through is intriguing, and might allow a fabulous courtyard space for outdoor dining. (Assuming it doesn't create a wind tunnel, like some downtown corridors.)

I'm excited!  (And I couldn't agree more about the timing issue.  It's long overdue, but I'm happy that the city waited for the right proposal.  And didn't just take the first hampton inn that came along.)
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 09:04:11 am »

This is exactly what Jenks needs (- the hotel) and maybe even another block like this (- the hotel).  This is exactly the development I want (- the hotel and more shops/lofts, but I do see the need for the hotel)

If this could bridge over to Elgin in the future that would rock.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 09:04:53 am »

Lets pool our money together and buy it for 1.5 million.
brianh
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 09:05:26 am »

Living caddy corner to a Jail and a hotspot for most of the crazy, homeless citizens of Tulsa.  I just don't know about that combo.  On the plus side, the post office is real close.

"If possible, an underground parking structure with 160-plus spaces will be provided."  

Any time I see something like that, it generally means that it isn't going to happen.  So these tenants will probably also get to fight for their parking all evening.  I see this going to section eight housing within a decade.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 09:07:57 am »

I think that when people complain about not having enough parking downtown they're really complaining about having to pay to park.
I'm starting to think it means: "I'm too fat to walk a block."  Just got back from Chicago, where people were noticably fit.  Then I realized how many people used transit, walked and biked around town.  And how many folks walked to work in suits and ties...and tennis shoes.  

You could distinguish between the locals and the tourists.  The tourists were the slow-moving blobs on the sidewalk who looked slightly ill from exertion.  The locals were zipping down the sidewalks at a good 4 mph.  Funny how if you walk a few blocks to work, and a few blocks to the grocery store, and a few blocks to dinner with friends...at the end of the day, you don't need a gym membership!

If Tulsa never paved another acre with surface parking lots, we'd still have an excess of parking for decades to come!
PepePeru
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 09:10:18 am »

I'm starting to think it means: "I'm too fat to walk a block."  Just got back from Chicago, where people were noticably fit.  Then I realized how many people used transit, walked and biked around town.  And how many folks walked to work in suits and ties...and tennis shoes.  

You could distinguish between the locals and the tourists.  The tourists were the slow-moving blobs on the sidewalk who looked slightly ill from exertion.  The locals were zipping down the sidewalks at a good 4 mph.  Funny how if you walk a few blocks to work, and a few blocks to the grocery store, and a few blocks to dinner with friends...at the end of the day, you don't need a gym membership!

If Tulsa never paved another acre with surface parking lots, we'd still have an excess of parking for decades to come!

That was exactly my thought too.

I can't really be expected to waddle another 3 blocks to work!!!!

this is an OUTRAGE!
kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 09:11:59 am »

+++++++1

So very true.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 09:14:18 am »

That was exactly my thought too.

I can't really be expected to waddle another 3 blocks to work!!!!

this is an OUTRAGE!

I got up early this morning and walked around WalMart looking for a mother's day card.  I'm exhausted.  Should have gotten one of the electric carts.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
brianh
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 09:17:09 am »

Not to be discouraging but if you walked 4 blocks to your car or to work on a day like today in Tulsa, you might as well have taken a shower in your clothes.  Its not even raining out there, it is like walking into a wet sprinkler system head on.  I haven't been to Chicago since I was a kid though so maybe they have it the same.  Do all of those walkers bring a change of clothes to work or do they just have like a lax dress code or something?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 09:19:36 am »

I like it too and will be interested to see more detailed renderings.  Now we just need to get a new federal building on the BOK drive thru (or another downtown site) so we can get rid of Page Belcher.  Getting rid of this surface lot is a step in the right direction.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 09:21:24 am »

TDA should encourage this, even if it means lowering the price of the parcel. I'm with CF though, this is the fifth concept for this site and my hopes of fruition are low. In my mind this is the most important (empty) parcel in the CBD (along with the BOK drive through). The old city hall doesn't have a chance in heck of being developed unless this spot gets the ball rolling.

Message to the TDA: please make any concessions in your power to make this work. Lowering the price can give you leverage to ensure that the development is urban with the proposed underground parking.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org