A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:03:15 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WWJD?  (Read 7390 times)
FOTD
« on: April 30, 2009, 03:41:57 pm »

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/30/churchgoers-more-likely-to-back-torture-survey-finds/

April 30th, 2009

Churchgoers more likely to back torture, survey finds

Posted: 01:55 PM ET
WASHINGTON (CNN) — "The more often Americans go to church, the more likely they are to support the torture of suspected terrorists, according to a new analysis.

More than half of people who attend services at least once a week — 54 percent — said the use of torture against suspected terrorists is “often” or “sometimes” justified. Only 42 percent of people who “seldom or never” go to services agreed, according the analysis released Wednesday by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

White evangelical Protestants were the religious group most likely to say torture is often or sometimes justified — more than 6 in 10 supported it. People unaffiliated with any religious organization were least likely to back it. Only 4 in 10 of them did.

The analysis is based on a Pew Research Center survey of 742 American adults conducted April 14-21. It did not include analysis of groups other than white evangelicals, white non-Hispanic Catholics, white mainline Protestants, and the religiously unaffiliated, because the sample size was too small."

Wasn't Jesus tortured for our sins?

* jesus and george.jpg (23.57 KB - downloaded 346 times.)
FOTD
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:00:13 pm »

Wednesday, April 29, 2009
The Problem with the Jesus License Plates

http://baldwinparkdemocrat.blogspot.com/2009/04/problem-with-jesus-license-plates.html

If people want to express their personal beliefs, that's just fine. Use bumper stickers. The use of state required, regulated and controlled license plates gives the impression that the state is endorsing the views expressed on the plate. And that is just plain wrong in my opinion.

* FloridaPlate.jpg (13.51 KB - downloaded 362 times.)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 06:34:16 pm »

Why he would love a mule and kill his own child to secede, that's what jesus would do!  Shocked

(Referencing another throwaway thread of yours)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
FOTD
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 11:06:56 pm »

Why he would love a mule and kill his own child to secede, that's what jesus would do!  Shocked

(Referencing another throwaway thread of yours)

Hey. Now most of my instigations lead to long threads exposing wackiness and extremism. Yes. Some slip away without catching fire much to the devil's dismay.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 08:06:35 am »

I think Jesus would make Gay Marriage a top priority in his party.  Wait, we were talking about torture?

3 people were ever water boarded, the  most severe torture we used.  All indisputably terrorist leaders.  All with information that was deemed vital and unattainable by other means.  All provided information that purportedly saved American lives.

On principle, I'm against torture.  But in the limited circumstances in which water boarding was used I approve of it's use.  It is a fairly mild form of torture (I was tortured like this every summer by at least 1 or 2 jackasses), has no long term effects, and little chance of "going wrong."   I'm not talking about use against soldiers, criminals, or civilians; I'm talking about people who are irrefutably and admittedly trying to kill mass amounts of civilians (read: terrorist).

I understand that information from torture is suspect.  It should *never* be used to prosecute someone for a crime or otherwise prove their guilt/association with a group.  But if the information we receive from them is corroborated by then finding an IED in the location described, a weapons cache; then it has value.

Sorry, the cost of water boarding a person sworn to use all means necessary to kill me in an effort to save lives is worth it.  If you had a guy you knew, not suspected, but KNEW had planted a bomb that would kill your family - most people would do anything to get that information.   In Iraq, that is often the situation.  It might not be your family, but without the information that person has hundreds of people are likely to be blown up at random.

I give full credence to the slippery slope argument.  I don't trust the government to use torture in only these limited circumstances.  And when an American is tortured I'm pissed (and see the hypocrisy in that).     Just my gut reaction to the overall story.

And per the original post, I don't attend church.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 08:32:36 am »

I think Jesus would make Gay Marriage a top priority in his party.  Wait, we were talking about torture?

3 people were ever water boarded, the  most severe torture we used.  All indisputably terrorist leaders.  All with information that was deemed vital and unattainable by other means.  All provided information that purportedly saved American lives.

On principle, I'm against torture.  But in the limited circumstances in which water boarding was used I approve of it's use.  It is a fairly mild form of torture (I was tortured like this every summer by at least 1 or 2 jackasses), has no long term effects, and little chance of "going wrong."   I'm not talking about use against soldiers, criminals, or civilians; I'm talking about people who are irrefutably and admittedly trying to kill mass amounts of civilians (read: terrorist).

I understand that information from torture is suspect.  It should *never* be used to prosecute someone for a crime or otherwise prove their guilt/association with a group.  But if the information we receive from them is corroborated by then finding an IED in the location described, a weapons cache; then it has value.

Sorry, the cost of water boarding a person sworn to use all means necessary to kill me in an effort to save lives is worth it.  If you had a guy you knew, not suspected, but KNEW had planted a bomb that would kill your family - most people would do anything to get that information.   In Iraq, that is often the situation.  It might not be your family, but without the information that person has hundreds of people are likely to be blown up at random.

I give full credence to the slippery slope argument.  I don't trust the government to use torture in only these limited circumstances.  And when an American is tortured I'm pissed (and see the hypocrisy in that).     Just my gut reaction to the overall story.

And per the original post, I don't attend church.

Well there is only 3 that were written about.  But sometimes we just send people to other countries to be tortured (it is actually a pretty nice end around)  http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/20/world/americas/20canada.html?_r=1&fta=y  There is a difference between trying to obtain information that they absolutely 100% KNOW and just fishing for anything.  I still want to hear the Christian perspective as to why torturing people is ok.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 08:47:25 am »

Not passing gay marriage laws isn't discrimination, it's preventing torture in the gay community.

If our government is truly against torture, they will ban marriage outright.  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 09:29:45 am »

Not passing gay marriage laws isn't discrimination, it's preventing torture in the gay community.

If our government is truly against torture, they will ban marriage outright.  Grin

Plus one for you.  I tried it once; it didn't take.

Not saying other people aren't perfectly happy with it, it just wasn't for me.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 11:32:51 am »

I know it is hard to live in captivity.
Do you know what I did before I got married?
Anything I wanted to.

Power is nothing till you use it.
dbacks fan
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 11:59:12 am »

Have we really gotten to this point?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g [/youtube]
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 12:02:51 pm »

Now back to the original thread title.

WWJD?

I believe he enjoys kicking little devils asses, FOTD.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 11:22:27 pm »

Now back to the original thread title.

WWJD?

I believe he enjoys kicking little devils asses, FOTD.

YOU BETCHA!

* suffer.jpg (67.48 KB - downloaded 264 times.)
FOTD
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 09:59:35 pm »

Soldiers In Afghanistan Given Bibles, Told To "Hunt People For Jesus" (VIDEO)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/04/soldiers-in-afghanistan-g_n_195674.html

"The Special Forces guys, they hunt men. Basically, we do the same things as Christians. We hunt people for Jesus. We do, we hunt them down. Get the hound of heaven after them, so we get them into the Kingdom. That's what we do, that's our business," he says.

A White House spokesman referred questions to the Department of Defense, which did not immediately return a call."

Holy War....? Not a bad strategy. Scare those Al-Quida terrorists. Could they be converted? WWJD?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 07:11:05 am »

Do you know where this story comes from originally FOTD?

Al-Jazeera.

Not that they are just trying to stir up some smile.  Think Fox News reporting on anything Iran does. 

And this is not STATE action.  They are reporting that churches are raising money to give bibles to soldiers in an attempt to skirt United States rules.   Bad, bad America.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 07:13:39 am »

Soldiers In Afghanistan Given Bibles, Told To "Hunt People For Jesus" (VIDEO)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/04/soldiers-in-afghanistan-g_n_195674.html

"The Special Forces guys, they hunt men. Basically, we do the same things as Christians. We hunt people for Jesus. We do, we hunt them down. Get the hound of heaven after them, so we get them into the Kingdom. That's what we do, that's our business," he says.

A White House spokesman referred questions to the Department of Defense, which did not immediately return a call."

Holy War....? Not a bad strategy. Scare those Al-Quida terrorists. Could they be converted? WWJD?

Good one CF.  aox, why are you still here?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org