A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:53:30 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neighborhood Crime Question  (Read 12224 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« on: April 26, 2009, 01:54:56 pm »

Hey Gang,  are these following neighborhoods safe for home buying- We may be moving to "T" Towne and buying a home.. Yale to Memorial & Admiral to 11th area? What about E. Kenosha street & N Elm Place in BA? (Some homes I noticed have bars on the door & windows in that area). What about around 2119 W. 41st place zip code 74107?  What about 21st street & 129th area?  The police web site & map is hard to use and figure out. Thanks for the help.. Smiley

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:05:51 am »

Those are some wide spread areas. Trying to hit a certain home price?
TeeDub
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:54:35 am »

Broken Arrow's map is much easier.

http://www.crimereports.com/map/index/?search=%20%20+Broken%20Arrow+OK
brianh
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:31:22 am »

Memorial between admiral and 11th does not appear to be safe.  I had to go there to that walmart at 11pm on Friday because all the other stores were closed.  It was terrible, 2% chance of getting shot by a klansmen or getting shanked by a gang member.  Both of those groups seem to hang out in the areas surrounding that place long into the night. Just don't eyeball anyone on accident or show fear when walking by.  There are any number of parked cars with groups of people inside them sitting in the dark playing their own brand of music very loudly.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 11:21:05 am by brianh » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:42:47 am »

The Memorial area is sketchy.  I have not spent much time back in the neighborhoods and can not attest to any crime problems.  But my impression of the area is that it's sketchy, fwiw.  I'm not very familiar with those other areas.

Consider doing color overlays on a google map to help people figure out the areas you are describing.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Gold
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:13:36 am »

The Wal Mart on Memorial, near 2-44, is ultra-sketchy.  I'd drive around the area at different times of day if I were you. 
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:08:19 am »

Memorial between admiral and 11th does not appear to safe.  I had to go there to that walmart at 11pm on Friday because all the other stores were closed.  It was terrible, 2% chance of getting shot by a klansmen or getting shanked by a gang member.  Both of those groups seem to hang out in the areas surrounding that place long into the night. Just don't eyeball anyone on accident or show fear when walking by.  There are any number of parked cars with groups of people inside them sitting in the dark playing their own brand of music very loudly.

Any Walmart is going to be like that, doesn't matter where you go.  I live in that square mile from Adm to 11th, Memorial to Mingo and have not had one single problem.  The neighborhood there is mostly older people who own their homes.  It's quiet and I've never felt threatened since I moved there 4 years ago.  I think your assessment is based on a WalMart.  How about the Walmart at 71st and Memorial?  I went there one time; swore I'd never go back.  It made the Adm/Memorial Walmart look like an elementary school.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 10:35:24 am »

Thanks for the info gang, The places we are looking at are 7115 block of e 5th 74112 --- 3412 w 4th 74127--- 2747 s 116th east ave 74129---- 501 s. 4th street B.A. 74012, and 2119 w. 41st place 74107. I'll try that BA crime map link posted above. We're looking for a home around $50,000 to live in & fix up and sell in a few years. From google street the homes and neighborhood look neat and clean. The one on the 2119 block of  w 41st street intrests me since it's close to the freeway and can use a good re-hab yet the "bones" seem strong no major frame work hopefully. Thankz. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:41:12 am by sauerkraut » Logged

Gold
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 10:43:47 am »

Any Walmart is going to be like that, doesn't matter where you go.  I live in that square mile from Adm to 11th, Memorial to Mingo and have not had one single problem.  The neighborhood there is mostly older people who own their homes.  It's quiet and I've never felt threatened since I moved there 4 years ago.  I think your assessment is based on a WalMart.  How about the Walmart at 71st and Memorial?  I went there one time; swore I'd never go back.  It made the Adm/Memorial Walmart look like an elementary school.

It's really the worst Wal Mart I've ever seen.  Point taken, they all bring in different types.  But that one is pretty weird.  There are some other things I've seen in that area that generally don't help the value of real estate.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 10:45:00 am »

I wouldn't try a "flip" in any of those areas.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 10:46:30 am »

Thanks for the info gang, The places we are looking at are 7115 block of e 5th 74112 --- 3412 w 4th 74127--- 2747 s 116th east ave 74129---- 501 s. 4th street B.A. 74012, and 2119 w. 41st place 74107. I'll try that BA crime map link posted above. We're looking for a home around $50,000 to live in & fix up and sell in a few years. From google street the homes and neighborhood look neat and clean. The one on the 2119 block of  w 41st street intrests me since it's close to the freeway and can use a good re-hab yet the "bones" seem strong no major frame work hopefully. Thankz. Smiley

Rwarn and Tulsamini both live in the west 41st area, I work further to the east on that street.  It's mostly hard-working people on the west side with the occasional meth lab or nut-job who kills his wife.  Random burglary is probably as likely in that area as anywhere else, no better, no worse.  

If you are buying a $50K home in a neighborhood where most homes are in the $100K to $120K range, chances are there's less crime than a $50K house in an area where most houses are in the $40 to $60K range.

Good luck with it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 10:47:29 am »

It's really the worst Wal Mart I've ever seen.  Point taken, they all bring in different types.  But that one is pretty weird.  There are some other things I've seen in that area that generally don't help the value of real estate.

I think "Night Of The Living Tweaker" was filmed at the Admiral and Memorial Wal-Mart.  You definitely get the hairy eyeball if you try to buy Sudafed at 2am there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 10:52:31 am »

I can't get this map to work either. It keeps defaulting to Washington, DC
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:40:35 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

rwarn17588
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 11:09:58 am »

If you are buying a $50K home in a neighborhood where most homes are in the $100K to $120K range, chances are there's less crime than a $50K house in an area where most houses are in the $40 to $60K range.

Bingo.

I walk by that West 41st Place area pretty regularly. Really quiet. It's less than a half-block from Clinton Middle School, and it's real close to Reed Park, which has swell jogging/walking trails and an ultracheap gym with some new equipment. Can't beat 30 sessions at the gym for $20.

Update: Crap. I zapped the wrong paragraph. Oh well.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 11:29:56 am by rwarn17588 » Logged
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 11:16:17 am »

Bingo.

I walk by that West 41st Place area pretty regularly. Really quiet. It's less than a half-block from Clinton Middle School, and it's real close to Reed Park, which has swell jogging/walking trails and an ultracheap gym with some new equipment. Can't beat 30 sessions at the gym for $20.
WoW thanks that is what I'm looking for a nice quiet neighborhood and I'm a runner the jogging trails are a bonus! I found a crime website but it's hard to work.. "spotcrime.com/ok/tulsa"

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org