A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:14:13 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YOU CAN'T THAW A BABY  (Read 10649 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 11:22:36 am »

It passed.  It was vetoed:

Governor Henry said
This is to advise you that on this date, pursuant to the authority vested in me by Section 11 of Article VI of the Oklahoma Constitution to approve or object to legislation presented to me, I have VETOED House Bill 1326. House Bill 1326 triggers unintended consequences that would negatively impact the state of Oklahoma and its citizens.While HB 1326 has been promoted as a ?pro-life? measure, it does nothing to discourage abortion or save a life. To the contrary, it would hinder life-saving efforts by banning promising research that could yield new treatments or cures for cancer, Alzheimer?s disease, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, spinal cord injuries and a variety of other ailments.This form of stem cell research, supported by such conservative, pro-life leaders as Nancy Reagan and U.S. Sen. Orrin Hatch, utilizes unused embryonic stem cells or blastocysts originally created to assist couples in their effort to have children. Because in vitro fertilization procedures often create multiple blastocysts for a single couple, many are unused and ultimately destroyed and discarded. HB 1326 criminalizes and punishes a scientist who, with the couple?s consent, elects to conduct stem cell research with an unused blastocyst before it is destroyed. By criminalizing legitimate scientific study, HB 1326 would have a chilling effect on Oklahoma?s research community, particularly on the scientists who perform the life-saving research. HB 1326 would also discourage research-based industries from continuing to locate in Oklahoma, dealing a major blow to long-running efforts to make our state a beacon of bioscience and high-technology research. In short, HB 1326 is not in the best interest of the state or its citizens and in fact will do great harm if it is enacted into law.

The Senate has sustained the veto:
http://www.governor.state.ok.us/display_article.php?article_id=1232&article_type=1

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 11:30:31 am »

This was simply to try to reconcile their anti stem cell research stance with what actually happens.  I actually commend them for trying to make their stance make sense, though I don't agree with it.  Before it was, "you shouldn't use them for research", the alternative was the trash. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 01:08:09 pm »

Mazzei apparently participated in an exercize that involved disposing, or freezing, the unused eggs and embryos to end up with triplets. That is the hypocrisy with this group. If it is life, then save it at all stages, not just when it is being used for stem cell research. They seem to think that its okay to keep these embryos frozen in some sort of purgatory for ever, just don't use them to improve others lives or destroy them. Weird.

So they didn't exactly use the turkey bastor method??

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 01:13:55 pm »

It passed.  It was vetoed:

The Senate has sustained the veto:
http://www.governor.state.ok.us/display_article.php?article_id=1232&article_type=1

Oklahoma is only 6 State Senate votes away from becoming third world!

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 02:38:40 pm »

They should call this the Octomom law based on the fact that she used the frozen embryos.  Actually, maybe they should make a law that all unused embryos are given to her.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org