A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:02:53 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $100 Million Dollars  (Read 2828 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: April 21, 2009, 03:59:00 pm »

Interesting take on numbers.  Most Americans are incapable of visualizing differences numbers as large as a million, billion or trillion.

I got a kick out of the $100 million budget reduction that President Obama forwarded.  I think it's very clever.  Press Secretary Gibbs did an excellent job of defending the cut and presenting it as a massive amount of money "to the average American".

This token gesture is a very good use of strategy.  Those who balk at the number will be crucified as being insensitive or out of touch with the average American and how HE views a hundred million dollars.  The White House has essentially thrown a class envy gauntlet into the ring that threatens to silence the debate on the size of the new deficit spending program.

They expect the Tea Bag crowd to pick this up and rally around it, and they are probably correct in their expectation.  This "talking trap" will be damaging to conservatives, because there is little hope of forwarding public understanding of these types of numbers. 

Brilliant.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:01:43 pm by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 04:07:25 pm »

Did you see/read Tapper's rip on Gibbs? If not, here ya go:

http://www.noquarterusa.net/blog/2009/04/21/tapper-exposes-obamas-budget-charade/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
FOTD
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 04:44:16 pm »

POTUS asked each cabinet member to come up with 100 mil in cuts. While symbolic, we will see by comparrison what the house and Senate musters up. You do not see the Conservative blogs taking this on like you , Guido. They won't take the bait. This WH strategy will make the chimps in the middle right and far right, the "no" people, look like bat rat spider monkeys come the next election.

"Well, we couldn't offer up any cuts of our own...."

You can hear their skulls going numb.

* BOfisting.jpg (14.15 KB - downloaded 297 times.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:47:10 pm by FOTD » Logged
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 04:51:59 pm »

POTUS asked each cabinet member to come up with 100 mil in cuts. While symbolic, we will see by comparrison what the house and Senate musters up. You do not see the Conservative blogs taking this on like you , Guido. They won't take the bait. This WH strategy will make the chimps in the middle right and far right, the "no" people, look like bat rat spider monkeys come the next election.

"Well, we couldn't offer up any cuts of our own...."

You can hear their skulls going numb.

What are you talking about? What am I taking on? I just posted a link.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:41:44 am »

Here's how I think if the $100,000,000 cut.

Lets say the average family in Tulsa makes about $50,000 a year.  The Federal Budget for 2009 is $3,100,000,000,000.  To cut $100mil out of the Federal Budget over 4 years (not all the savings are realized this year, representing a total cut of .00003)  is akin to the average Tulsa family slashing 40 cents out of their annual budget for each of the next four years.

A shower costs 10 cents a minute.  I like long showers.  This morning I was in and out in 1 minute instead of 5.  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.    If you are looking to make similar significant cuts you could skip a cup of coffee in the morning.  Shave 1 mile off your annual driving total.  Or perhaps begin picking up the pennies you see on the streets to offset the 40 cents.

It's insulting.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org