A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:27:11 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evaporating Karma  (Read 8127 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 12:21:24 pm »

This is an electronic community, not "strangers" on the internet.  You are my friend even though I will probably never know who you are.  And I genuinely hate Double AA more than I hate some of my known enemies.  This place isn't about strangers.

Karma as practiced here is 1) a violation of trust, 2) juvenile, 3) lends itself to abuse.

As I've said before, it wouldn't be so bad if they would limit it's use to once per user per topic/post.  The once per hour is a bit much.

I don't care either way as I've stated before, but I've heard the arguments enough on my forums that I disabled them permanently.  It lends itself to the equivalent of 'internet bullying'.  When I installed the feature that I spoke about earlier in the thread, it reduced the amount of karma being given out in the negative, but those that did get it I got a LOT of 'report to moderator/administrator' emails for abuse.  What I did do is enable a feature that allows users to thumb up or down a post without aggregating statistics on it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 12:27:43 pm »

I'm in the same boat.  I was nearing my 100 mark and have dropped ~5 per day since FOTD started posting again.  Makes me chuckle.  +1 Karma for everyone in this thread.
Last I checked, I'd dropped nearly 40. It's a fun topic of discussion, but utterly useless.  Cool

Edited to add: Better than karma is a way for a user to indicate to another user privately if they thought positively of a post. Thumbs up, as Hoss mentioned earlier works well. That's what they use over on dslreports.com, and it seems to work well.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:30:39 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 12:40:01 pm »

I have lost fifty karma points in two weeks.

Why me...Oh, why me?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 12:41:42 pm »

See this is why I assumed karma had like a 30 day expiration or something. 

Some sites have it so every bad one has to matched by a good one, or something like that.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 08:22:19 am »

Ok, whoever you are, you've almost got me down to negative karma.  Don't give up!  Persevere!  Catch me up with Guido!
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 02:45:56 pm »

lol, I've lost 40 some in the last 2 weeks.  Someone is on a crusade.   The only reason I slightly care is because I wanted to hit 100 and tell RM he'd never make it.    Tongue

Alas.  What might have been. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 03:11:54 pm »

Not too hard to figure out there's a pattern to the karma disappearance with certain members.  I really don't bother taking away unless there's a real dumbass post. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org