A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:06:07 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evaporating Karma  (Read 8243 times)
Renaissance
City Father

« on: April 21, 2009, 09:52:57 am »

So does karma expire?  I suddenly lose 2/3 of my hard-earned karma in like a week's time, and I'm thinking to myself, what did I do???  I'm not even posting lately!

Then I realized that it went up about 30 days ago, with the new site, and maybe it's going back down automatically. 

Either karma expires, or someone really hates Dark Side of the Moon, 1920s Oklahoma bandits, or Mayberry barbers.   Tongue
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 10:01:45 am »

So does karma expire?  I suddenly lose 2/3 of my hard-earned karma in like a week's time, and I'm thinking to myself, what did I do???  I'm not even posting lately!

Then I realized that it went up about 30 days ago, with the new site, and maybe it's going back down automatically. 

Either karma expires, or someone really hates Dark Side of the Moon, 1920s Oklahoma bandits, or Mayberry barbers.   Tongue

Doesn't expire.  Someone has been hitting me too, but I don't worry about it.  What it does, in my experience, is, like I've said before, makes newcomers feel like they're being picked on, especially when it's set to allow a karma every hour.

I know for a fact that this board has a modification that can be downloaded for Karma that requires the person giving the Karma post a reason for it, and those receiving it can see who gave it and the reason it was given.  It can only be seen by the user I think, and can force those who dispense the karma give a reason.  Even if no reason is given, it identifies who is doing it.

Honestly, I could care less what people think of me via the karma.  I think it's funny that mine was at 45 or something last week, now it's down to 15.  Someone obviously dislikes me.  Or I've made them mad.  Oh well, at least someone is reading what I post.

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 10:05:56 am »

That's awesome!  I don't know what's funnier--that someone is on a mission to decrease our karma levels, or that I noticed and felt compelled to post about it. 

To my throngs of internet enemies  . . .  Kiss
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 10:12:32 am »

Karma police, arrest this man, he talks in maths
He buzzes like a fridge, hes like a detuned radio
Karma police, arrest this girl, her hitler hairdo, is making me feel ill
And we have crashed her party

This is what you get, this is what you get
This is what you get, when you mess with us

Karma police, Ive given all I can, its not enough
Ive given all I can, but were still on the payroll
This is what you get, this is what you get
This is what you get, when you mess with us
And for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself
And for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself

For a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:22:25 am »

LOL
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 10:38:19 am »

I'm in the same boat.  I was nearing my 100 mark and have dropped ~5 per day since FOTD started posting again.  Makes me chuckle.  +1 Karma for everyone in this thread.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:48:20 am »

<-- Karma Chameleon
FOTD
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 11:26:54 am »

I'm in the same boat.  I was nearing my 100 mark and have dropped ~5 per day since FOTD started posting again.  Makes me chuckle.  +1 Karma for everyone in this thread.

It's a plot! Tin Hat Tin Hat Tin Hat....take that.

* SpartacusKillTarget.jpg (46.11 KB - downloaded 333 times.)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:29:41 am »

It should be noted that my Karma has dropped 3 since posting in this thread.   Grin

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hometown
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:29:48 am »

The organizers of TulsaNow need to give some careful thought to eliminating Karma.  The addition of Karma has been a negative that may do irreparable harm to TulsaNow.  As much as I otherwise enjoy TulsaNow I have considered stopping my participation simply because of the Karma feature.  I feel that strongly about it and I am certain others do as well.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 11:37:20 am »

Really?  You care the deeply about what strangers think on the internet that you would rather cease voicing your opinion that face their silent disapproval of said opinions?  Do explain.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 11:39:42 am »

I am going to take away some karma for you not caring about karma...   jk  LOL
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 11:49:48 am »

Personally, I think the karma concept on forums is sophomoric.  This is the only one I've ever participated in that used the feature.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hometown
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 11:50:14 am »

Really?  You care the deeply about what strangers think on the internet that you would rather cease voicing your opinion that face their silent disapproval of said opinions?  Do explain.

This is an electronic community, not "strangers" on the internet.  You are my friend even though I will probably never know who you are.  And I genuinely hate Double AA more than I hate some of my known enemies.  This place isn't about strangers.

Karma as practiced here is 1) a violation of trust, 2) juvenile, 3) lends itself to abuse.
Admin
Administrator
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 12:16:36 pm »

Express your Karma feelings here:
http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=13250.0
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org